Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Private Classifieds > Buy/Sell Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
GTRacer
Stock

GTRacer is on a distinguished road
Default *CLOSED* WTB - USA-Usable RHD MkIII

Hello All!

I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a way to purchase a truly unique ride, and as it happens, I'm particularly fond of the MkIII body. I've only seen one or two USA-bound JDM MkIII's, and a fair number of MkIV's. I even saw a RHD MkIV in person on a Missouri car lot, parked next to a pair of R32 Skylines. What I'm really after is this, and I know it's a complete longshot:
  • USA-usable and title-able RHD MkIII Supra (specifically for use in Florida)
  • Must be an actual JDM - I'm not interested in clip-jobs or other conversions
  • Manual transmission required - I'm not interested in autos.
  • Closest to 1992 model year is preferred, but I'd take any RHD MkIII
  • Turbo preferred but not a deal-breaker
  • Targa preferred but not a deal-breaker
  • Closest to stock is preferred as this will be a daily driver to replace my Honda - I'm not looking for a 500 BHP beast (but if you have one for sale...)
  • Mileage and condition are not paramount (nicer is better of course) because I will likely have the engine worked over anyway and the body can get some TLC if needed.
I expect I'll be waiting awhile for this... Heck, 3 more years and I should be able to straight import an '86 under the 25-years-or-older exemption.

FWIW, I've been trying to make sense of the NHTSA importing regs regarding these cars, as well as how re-importing from another country (like Canada) would work and so far it doesn't look like it does.

If no one knows anyone willing to part with a suitable ride, I'd settle for advice on pulling off the import through a Registered Importer per the NHTSA regs. I already contacted several on the list and none would give me the time of day. These were primarily the RI's located closer to me, but perhaps someone knows of one further west/north that can do the work.

I won't lie and say money is no object - it is, but for the right car (or import process) I'm willing to spend a fair bit. I know a fresh import certified by a RI and bonded through Customs won't be cheap at all but I'm financially prepared for that.

My true car parameters, as dictated by me and my family needs, are for RWD, stick, and four seats. I find all manner of Mustangs, Beamers and Camaros in that category but I really want something I won't see anyone else driving every day on the way to and from work.

For as long as I can I'm going to hold out for the JDM ride of my dreams, and failing that, I'll find a USDM MkIII. Nothing else in my parameters appeals to me.

Thanks for letting a forum newb rant, and for any offers or tips that come my way. Take care!

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-18-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
GTRacer
Stock

Default Please Close My Post

Hello Again!

After no responses, and especially after stumbling upon this eBay guide (eBay Guides - How to Legally Import Register Nissan Skyline), I have temporarily paused my search for a RHD Supra.

As it turns out, I had done pretty much all the same research covered in this guide and come to the same conclusions. I certainly learned some interesting tidbits from the guide, and rated it up for being concise and informative.

In any case, my authentic RHD Supra dream will have to wait until about 2013. Until then, I'm looking into a variety of US-legal JDM rides in the 1980-1983 model years that meet my needs.

Thanks again, and take care!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

You do know you can get an R33 Skyline legally here for about $10-15k. Granted you find one for sub $5k, which really isn't hard to do. After paying customs and a registered importer place to make everything DOT approved, which last time I asked was around $6k. Then getting the registration and title for the car will be like a regular car.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
GTRacer
Stock

Thanks, yeah, I saw the R33 on the DOT list the last time I looked. For giggles I searched for overseas R33's but didn't see any worth going for under 10k. And I was using 8k as my estimate for conversion.

While that's only a little over my planned budget, the bigger issue to me is parts and service. I can do a lot of my own work engine-wise, but I'd be concerned about sourcing parts (how much commonality is there in the Skyline parts bin versus other Nissans?), and the complexity of the driveline if I wound up with an AWD or all-wheel-steering version.

I'm still attracted to the idea of having something unique, and an authentic Skyline would definitely fit that bill. I haven't completely dismissed the R33 but I think I'd rather find a good 25-year-or-older car and get it to me for less than 10k and leave the rest for any needed maintenance, desired tuning and dress-up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the Skyline info!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
TopLine
Stock

TopLine is on a distinguished road

hey guys whats up. Im not sure what the laws are in the US but I have a small dealership in montana but I also live in canada and I am able to legally import cars 1993 and older into vancouver BC.
I actually just purchased a 1993 toyota super RZ turbo. RHD Silver with 105,000km which converts into 66,000miles. It is for sale but like I said I am able to import them to canada so I will be getting more. Skylines as well...Can anyone tell me how to make my skylines DOT and EPA legal. Do I have to do the same for the supra in the US as well?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
evosupra
Banned

evosupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRacer View Post
Hello All!

I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a way to purchase a truly unique ride, and as it happens, I'm particularly fond of the MkIII body. I've only seen one or two USA-bound JDM MkIII's, and a fair number of MkIV's. I even saw a RHD MkIV in person on a Missouri car lot, parked next to a pair of R32 Skylines. What I'm really after is this, and I know it's a complete longshot:
  • USA-usable and title-able RHD MkIII Supra (specifically for use in Florida)
  • Must be an actual JDM - I'm not interested in clip-jobs or other conversions
  • Manual transmission required - I'm not interested in autos.
  • Closest to 1992 model year is preferred, but I'd take any RHD MkIII
  • Turbo preferred but not a deal-breaker
  • Targa preferred but not a deal-breaker
  • Closest to stock is preferred as this will be a daily driver to replace my Honda - I'm not looking for a 500 BHP beast (but if you have one for sale...)
  • Mileage and condition are not paramount (nicer is better of course) because I will likely have the engine worked over anyway and the body can get some TLC if needed.
I expect I'll be waiting awhile for this... Heck, 3 more years and I should be able to straight import an '86 under the 25-years-or-older exemption.

FWIW, I've been trying to make sense of the NHTSA importing regs regarding these cars, as well as how re-importing from another country (like Canada) would work and so far it doesn't look like it does.

If no one knows anyone willing to part with a suitable ride, I'd settle for advice on pulling off the import through a Registered Importer per the NHTSA regs. I already contacted several on the list and none would give me the time of day. These were primarily the RI's located closer to me, but perhaps someone knows of one further west/north that can do the work.

I won't lie and say money is no object - it is, but for the right car (or import process) I'm willing to spend a fair bit. I know a fresh import certified by a RI and bonded through Customs won't be cheap at all but I'm financially prepared for that.

My true car parameters, as dictated by me and my family needs, are for RWD, stick, and four seats. I find all manner of Mustangs, Beamers and Camaros in that category but I really want something I won't see anyone else driving every day on the way to and from work.

For as long as I can I'm going to hold out for the JDM ride of my dreams, and failing that, I'll find a USDM MkIII. Nothing else in my parameters appeals to me.

Thanks for letting a forum newb rant, and for any offers or tips that come my way. Take care!
I will be selling mine soon ! its so fast and looks so awesome ! just painted it again, didnt like silver and blue ! if you look at my profile pics, you can see the car and whats in it ! I just picked up a bad ass porshe and I want to play with it for a while. Bare in mind the car has been transformed somewhat too, I installed an Evo bodykit from Extreme dimensions, molded everything in, so no seams. and then painted it with a custom purple metallic color. let me know if you are interested. it is a 91 and a Targa top with the sought after Grey interior.
I have a shipping company who can transport the vehicle to you or you drive it ! I am looking to get at least 12 thousand for it. well worth 4 times that !
Closed Thread