Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by I h8 Hondas View Post
I don't have the means of fixing the core support (well I guess I do but they involve trees and tow straps, maybe a truck or tractor,

^ lol. I would pay to see that.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
I wasn't being entirely serious there. If I had the cash I would have fixed it already and been driving it instead of my Jeep. I don't have the means of fixing the core support (well I guess I do but they involve trees and tow straps, maybe a truck or tractor, and are likely to do mare harm than good) so I would have to take it to a body shop, which costs money that I don't have.

I would love to get it road worthy again but my dad wants it out of his shed and I don't have anywhere to put it while I get the funds rounded up.

Ranma, if you're talking about insurance money I used it to buy my Jeep. What do you want more pics of? I'll take some when I get home if I don't forget.
More of the bent support. Got to look at my guy tonight but think that part can be removed. If I had the oven could do it my self. Would need to do a hardness check, if it is 1\4 hard it would surprise me. Step 1 make it malleable to repair. second straighten it out. Then heat it to remove stress and finally heat treat to desired hardness.

Not sure how much it would cost though perhaps you could get a aircraft mechanic school to use it as practice.

Why on Earth would you want a Jeep in Florida?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
havent you ever seen the movie "wild things."

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
I h8 Hondas
Stock

I h8 Hondas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
We've "straightened" (a relative term, obviously) some old trail rig type vehicles that way. No video of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
More of the bent support. Got to look at my guy tonight but think that part can be removed. If I had the oven could do it my self. Would need to do a hardness check, if it is 1\4 hard it would surprise me. Step 1 make it malleable to repair. second straighten it out. Then heat it to remove stress and finally heat treat to desired hardness.

Not sure how much it would cost though perhaps you could get a aircraft mechanic school to use it as practice.

All that stuff is way over my head. Forgot to take pics yesterday. Try to remember tomorrow. I'm more of a powertrain person than body/frame expert. And I don't live anywhere near an aircraft mechanic school so that won't work either.

I also don't live in FL. I live in northeast Missouri and I have a Jeep because it gets around good in snow, it's reliable, and I can play around off-road (preferably with snow on the ground) with it. Plus you can't really be considered a real member of my family until you have owned a Jeep. Every person on my dad's side has had at least a couple at various times. My uncle has three (XJ,WJ,WK), my cousin has one (ZJ), my great uncle has one (WK2), my dad replaced his XJ with a truck, my other uncle had a CJ7 for a while...it's a very long list.
I h8 Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #15
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't have the means of fixing the core support (well I guess I do but they involve trees and tow straps, maybe a truck or tractor, and are likely to do mare harm than good)
Quote:
The best way to pull out a core support is with a good fixed object, like a post or a tree, and a Come-along. A lot more control and not near as violent. I did this to my Ford Explorer and plan to do it with my wife's Celica after I get the front bumper crumple-zone cut out. Come-alongs and a chain are relatively cheap.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
The best way to pull out a core support is with a good fixed object, like a post or a tree, and a Come-along.
Nah, Jeep with a multi-speed winch + tree. Jeep pulls up so bumper is against tree (the tree is between both cars), chain connects to nylon strap wrapped around the spot of the other vehicle to be pulled.... start winch. If the other vehicle is too light try anchoring it to a bigger object (NOT a tool shed!!!! It's not heavy or solid enough!!! No it wasn't my car nor my idea. ).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #17
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

I would still love to see it done.. give me a ring when your about to do it.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plus you can't really be considered a real member of my family until you have owned a Jeep. Every person on my dad's side has had at least a couple at various times. My uncle has three (XJ,WJ,WK), my cousin has one (ZJ), my great uncle has one (WK2), my dad replaced his XJ with a truck, my other uncle had a CJ7 for a while...it's a very long list.
Well, I suppose it's a better tradition than incest.

No offense intended for any members married to a cousin, of course.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Well, I suppose it's a better tradition than incest.
speak for yourself!

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

There has to be another way to remove it than brute force. I suppose it is welded onto the frame. So how much do you want?