Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Default Damn code 51/31

So I figured out that a code 31 can cause a code 51.. Atleast thats how it seems after researching several forums. anyhow, I changed the afm and the tps. Both for another used one. So, NOW.. Only sometimes now the car will die when I stop. I think it's the AFM.. I get a code 31 when I drive around..! DAMN!! Then other times when I reset the EFI fuse.. I drive around and get a code 51.. The same result with dieing when I stop..

So I was wondering if I should replace the metal housing as well as the AFM??

Also, any comments or ideas other than my question..

I'm thinking of trying another AFM..

When I put the old one on i start up and just.. Poof.. DIE!
When I put the newer one on.. I get the issue with dieing much less..
THEN...
I put the old AFM on there, it dies more..
So I put the newer one on and it dies less..

ARRRRGH! I am going to replace the AFM, then the TPS.. Again, questions? Ideas..

btw - I used proper years for the afm and tps.. my car is an 88 turbo..
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Default afm and tps

I have a turbo 88 supra mk3..

I want to double check..

the afm needs to match another turbo, does the year matter.. (what are the reuirements?

the tps needs to match the year and needs to be turbo? (what are the requirments) I have a usdm one.. it looks sort of weird.. the entire thing is black and it has blue lettering.. unlike the other one most of us have that has a sticker with blue on it. will this cause issues with it dieing at a stop light/sign..?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

AFM's fine from any MKIII of the same trim.

TPS did change. The internals are the same but the tabs which meet the tabs on the throttle body are clocker 90? off from one another. I'm not sure what year or if the GTE even had this change, I know the GE did though.

You calibrated the TPS when you installed it?

This does not need two separate threads. I've merged them. Get the code 51 fixed first.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
AFM's fine from any MKIII of the same trim.

TPS did change. The internals are the same but the tabs which meet the tabs on the throttle body are clocker 90? off from one another. I'm not sure what year or if the GTE even had this change, I know the GE did though.

You calibrated the TPS when you installed it?

This does not need two separate threads. I've merged them. Get the code 51 fixed first.

lol, should have done that at first.. "the making it one" not the fisting part.. Anyways, ya.. I feel dumb.. I didn't calibrate it.. COMPLETELY FORGOT!! Where in the TSRM is it.. i can't find it.. AHHH~!

Last edited by Supra Saiyan; 01-26-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, been a rough day.... no not that kind of rough.... that kind of rough and I'd still be in the shower crying I expect.... that or still in the ER.... Ok... enough of that. I'm off to try this vomitorium thing I've read about. (EDIT: All references to extreme sexual acts with automobiles will be removed tomorrow when I stop and rethink what a vulgar move it was to post something with no merit such as that and all the posts which followed.)

I believe it's in the TSRM under EFI>Air Induction System>Throttle Body

EDIT 2: Here you go http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=100
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-25-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Sorry, been a rough day.... no not that kind of rough.... that kind of rough and I'd still be in the shower crying I expect.... that or still in the ER.... Ok... enough of that. I'm off to try this vomitorium thing I've read about. (EDIT: All references to extreme sexual acts with automobiles will be removed tomorrow when I stop and rethink what a vulgar move it was to post something with no merit such as that and all the posts which followed.)

I believe it's in the TSRM under EFI>Air Induction System>Throttle Body

EDIT 2: Here you go http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=100
Great got it done and calibrated.. Now i have a solid 31.. Should I have replaced the housing as well as the AFM?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

You only need to replace the housing if it's been damaged or in some other undesirable way altered. Code 31 is purely electrical. Do you happen to have any aftermarket fuel controllers installed? If so you may need to power them up before the ECU gets power... if not, pickup your TSRM and diagnose per the info in the book.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
You only need to replace the housing if it's been damaged or in some other undesirable way altered. Code 31 is purely electrical. Do you happen to have any aftermarket fuel controllers installed? If so you may need to power them up before the ECU gets power... if not, pickup your TSRM and diagnose per the info in the book.
wtf does deflects mean???

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?S=FI&P=103
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Hmm.. So if I adjust the tps? Do I need to adjust the timing as well? I just have a rough idle (500/600 rpm), it will actually shut off if I rev up real quick and let off the gas..

I am pretty sure I got the tps correct.. What am I missing here..
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Hey do I need to do my timing if I put on a different TPS?