Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Saiyan View Post
I didn't think the transmission could cause smoke to come out your tail pipe.. But honestly, I'm always learning. I never ran into that or seen that type of problem (noob me i guess). Regardless.. If you think its a pipe don't you think you could just seal it with some sealer. I have done that one before. Sealer for exhaust pipes.. Err, though if it's to high up on the pipe the pressure will be to great and poof.. Back to square 1.
no smoke isnt coming out of the tail pipe but the down shaft. the acceleration problem my dad thinks is the trans not the exhaust leak
zby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zby67 View Post
no smoke isnt coming out of the tail pipe but the down shaft. the acceleration problem my dad thinks is the trans not the exhaust leak
Pictures when you can please.. If anything.. Hope it's the easier cheaper fix..
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #13
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Pictures when you can please.. If anything.. Hope it's the easier cheaper fix..
cheeper the better lol. and will do on the pictures. lets see you got the exhaust manifold on the engine then you got the down pipe bolted to it. a little way down theres heat shield or something around it. mines rusted and rattles when i drive my guess is it punctured a hole into it. thats ware the smoke is coming from. and comes up into the engine bay witch is why i thought that the engine was burning of coolent and thought nothing of it till i got home.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
cheeper the better lol. and will do on the pictures. lets see you got the exhaust manifold on the engine then you got the down pipe bolted to it. a little way down theres heat shield or something around it. mines rusted and rattles when i drive my guess is it punctured a hole into it. thats ware the smoke is coming from. and comes up into the engine bay witch is why i thought that the engine was burning of coolent and thought nothing of it till i got home.
Did you check the oil? Color is normal? or looks lighter like coolant is in it? So you got the heat thing going down there.. You can't see where it's coming from. Have you tried revving the engine from the hood. You know.. So you can see where it's coming from (I am sure you did this so just ignore me until someone smarter comes along)..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #15
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Did you check the oil? Color is normal? or looks lighter like coolant is in it? So you got the heat thing going down there.. You can't see where it's coming from. Have you tried revving the engine from the hood. You know.. So you can see where it's coming from (I am sure you did this so just ignore me until someone smarter comes along)..
just changed the oil and i know its coming from this area cause you can see the smoke billowing out of the shield and yes it gets worse when you revv the engine. ill have pics in the morning to show this. the trans fluid isnt brownish red and dosnt smell burnt.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #16
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
just changed the oil and i know its coming from this area cause you can see the smoke billowing out of the shield and yes it gets worse when you revv the engine. ill have pics in the morning to show this. the trans fluid isnt brownish red and dosnt smell burnt.
Your not losing coolant are you? How often are you refilling your coolant? ever?? If your losing coolant.. BHG.. Anyways, i'm going to bed.. Good luck.. The others usually see new posts in the morning.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #17
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Your not losing coolant are you? How often are you refilling your coolant? ever?? If your losing coolant.. BHG.. Anyways, i'm going to bed.. Good luck.. The others usually see new posts in the morning.
ok ty for the help. and no i rarely fill the coolant. i fully drained it and took it off when i did the drive shaft fix. could the trans pump stop working if you plug the hoses leading to the radiator? also when we went to put the timing belt back on the cams rolled back one notch. but i dont see that messing with acceloration.

Last edited by zby67; 08-18-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #18
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

that exhaust leak might cause poor acceleration on a NA were back pressure is a good thing.. are we talking a PLUME of smoke here?.. but I don't see that being the issue. your dad is on the right track with the transmission. all small searches I did point twords your tranny going.. Do a tranny diagnostic.. what other codes are you throwing.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=AT&P=1
thats the link for the automatic transmission page for the Toyota Supra repair manual.. learn it, love it, live it..
check for codes on your tranny and report back..

other issues.
your afm could be the culprit..
check here also
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=EM&P=5
theres a link for checking engine codes in the faq. or consult the tsrm.. its in there.

whats your idle sound like after you got back from the test trip.
if you have a normal idle of what is it.. 700 for an na?

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 08-18-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #19
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

whoa.. hold on just seen that your cams shifted position..

lol re set your timing there bucko.

hers the Ignition system page
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=IG&P=1

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 08-18-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
that exhaust leak might cause poor acceleration on a NA were back pressure is a good thing.. are we talking a PLUME of smoke here?.. but I don't see that being the issue. your dad is on the right track with the transmission. all small searches I did point twords your tranny going.. Do a tranny diagnostic.. what other codes are you throwing.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=AT&P=1
thats the link for the automatic transmission page for the Toyota Supra repair manual.. learn it, love it, live it..
check for codes on your tranny and report back..

other issues.
your afm could be the culprit..
check here also
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=EM&P=5
theres a link for checking engine codes in the faq. or consult the tsrm.. its in there.

whats your idle sound like after you got back from the test trip.
if you have a normal idle of what is it.. 700 for an na?
Almighty i took a a look at the code link. lG-7 code the one about the spark plugs is all i can come up with well we were working in the timing area we found alot of oil in the first silonder spark plug. we didnt check the others since to much work pulling off the throttle body. she idles fine with no shakes or falts. idles between 700 and 600 rpms at cold start then when wormed up stays between 800 and 700 rpms. its how she has been when i got her. could the timing off by one notch cause the engine to revv high but not gain any speed? if so then we will reset the timing. is there a way to keep the cams from moving? also once the car is wormed up ill have afew pics on ware she is leaking from the exhaust.