Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
techno_freak
Stock

techno_freak is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge vs. 7mgte Block

I recently blew my head gasket for the second time on a 7mge and I'm on my third engine. After searching I finally learned that the stock head bolts are pieces of shyt that stretch too far. So its only a matter of time before this third one goes again. but on the bright side I have really two spare engines for scrap. I'm planning on boring out one of the two blocks dropping over-sized pistons in and rebuilding it with boost and ARP head bolts. I got one good crank, and one good head and the block. Will boosting work on this??
techno_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

First off, you posted in the wrong section... You want to post in the MKIII section.

Second. The stock bolts are fine, you've been given bad info. The probelm is a crap torque spec in Toyota's service publications and people who don't get the block and head resurfaced if there is ANY pitting or warpage before reassembling after a blown head gasket. Actually, the stock bolts are about as robust as ARPs and hold up fine at the ARP head bolt spec.

Third. You're not explaining as well as I like to see... I assume you're saying you've got a GE block, GTE head and some sort of crank.... The heads are the same, the only different on the top id the intake cam; use a GTE one. The bottom end are the same year for year too... there was a change in cranks around 89 though. I recommend using a crank for whatever year the ECU being used if from. Just for cleanliness and longevity.... but the difference is a 250RPM change in redline and balancing. Definitely use GTE pistons. The GTE also has oil squirters, probably worth replacing them when you build this.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

what cre also did not mention is to try searching the dam site. this was in a post in the mk3 faq:
http://4cefed.com/conversion.html
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra View Post
what cre also did not mention is to try searching the dam site. this was in a post in the mk3 faq:
http://4cefed.com/conversion.html
Bad day? Ditto.... love the xanax.... all good now.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

every day without my mk2 off the road is a bad day...
Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

the link for the transmission conversion is broken.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
curkis535
Stock

curkis535 is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge vs 7mgte

ok, so i have an 89 cressida that came with a 7mge that i want to put a 7mgte in. as far as blocks is there a difference? and are the heads interchangeable? and as far as the redline change on the crank balencing, is it an increse or a drop? and will that change fuel cut or no?
curkis535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
El_supracabra
Intake

El_supracabra is on a distinguished road

Ok, not sure about the whole rpm difference thing. I would think that would be controlled by the ECU and have NOTHING to do with the crank/block/heads. IMO.

However, the ONLY difference (that i am aware of) is the turbo pistons are dished giving it a lower compression ratio (8.5:1??) whereas the NA pistons are flat top w/ valve reliefs and has a compression ratio around 9.2 (those comp rats could be wrong, if somebody knows for sure plz correct) and there are oil squirters under the turbo pistons to keep them cool. Also, as someone else mentioned, the cams on the NA heads are slightly more aggressive, and offer a slight *bolt on* upgrade from the milder turbo cams.

As far as the blown headgasket problem, I recently picked up a "Cometic" multilayered stainless steel gasket, w arp studs. DEF better than the stock graphite w stock bolts. I have heard that all of the "turbo fanboys" are all running cometic or HKS and are pushing 20-30 psi boost through those w/ out blowing them. good luck!

CHEVROLET- Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

FORD- Flipped Over, Rebuilt Dodge

DODGE- Dirty Old Dust Gathering Engine

I'd rather drive a Toyota, than push a ford.
El_supracabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

If you put a GTE in your Cressida, then you need to run GTE electronics. Period.

As for some of your questions, the redline dropped after 89 by about 250RPMs. The N/A cams in a Turbo engine give a little more low end power, but suffer in the high end. Most people have determined it's better to keep the turbo cams (wonder why Toyota did it?). Block differences are as mentioned, including turbo block has 2 knock sensors whereas GE has 1, also the oil ports are already drilled for feed and return lines.

Have you searched the forum? I think I've seen about 10 threads within the last 2 weeks asking about GTE vs GE block differences, where this question has been answered several times.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

The GE pistons are dished also. The turbo pistons have a deeper dish Then the NA pistons
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote