Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

joshtexican is on a distinguished road
Default Use 7mgte block as a 7mge??

I have a fully built 91 7mgte block with Probe forged pistons bored .20, eagle rods and arp supporting hardware. I am purchasing a non-turbo 86.5 supra that has a rod knock. I was wondering if I can just use the block I have and use it in the 86.5, using my redone 7mgte head and built block. I am new to this and do not know much about these motors.
joshtexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
BDRT103
Stock

BDRT103 is on a distinguished road

is the 7mge and the 7mgte the same internally other than the oil squirters? and could i run the stock turbo set up on my stock 7mge?
BDRT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can. You will need to swap the ECU and Engine harness. I think the 91's have more sensors than the pre-89's. Also, you need to transfer other items from the turbo car to the GE car, i.e. igniter, boost sensor, turbo fan clutch assy, etc.

I'm assuming the 86.5 has a better body condition than the 91.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

Well the 91 7mgte is just the motor and head. I do have the ecu and harness to it as well and a few other parts. I was trying to see if it was possible just to swap the block and head itself?? And if everything from 86.5 7mge will bolt up to the 91 block and head?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The GTE has lower compression pistons, so, if you've used stock spec pistons or ones with an even lower CR it'll be a dog of a N/A. The oil squirters are a bonus.

As for mounting parts everything I can think of will fit fine, but the GTE uses two knock sensors bouth mounted outward from center and the GE uses only one mounted ner the center. To use the GE electronics you'll either need to use two knock sensors and splice the wires into the one line that runs to the ECU OR you'll need to drill and tap the center boss for the GE's knock sensor.

Intake cams are different, you'll probably want to swap those as well.

Motor mounts are also different.

Other than those few things there's nothing else that isn't evident.

Oh, and you'll want to run GE spark plugs
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

Thanks alot, I have probe forged pistons that have the stock spec compression, but a lil bigger. As far as the mounts, could I use GE mounts and work on them (weld etc.) Or am I going to have to fabricate some? or do I just find some GTE mounts?

As far as the cams, I have the GTE head with cams and the intake. Will that work withe the GE stuff?

Last edited by joshtexican; 04-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, just swap the mounts.

I highly recommend swapping the intake setup over.

cams will probably be fine. The intake is the only different one.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

I really appreciate the info. So the GTE intake, head and block is the way to go?

I should be good then, as I do have that stuff. Thanks a lot and I'll be posting some pics of the work as I go along. (If I can figure out how)

Again: GTE- Intake setup, head, block (splice GE harness for sensor), and mounts should work with the GE car and everything else.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
BDRT103
Stock

BDRT103 is on a distinguished road

i have a turbo setup off a 88 supra and from what i can see the wiring harness is the same other than the fact of splicing into the igntion system for the fact of it not being the 90 model where there is more sensors. can my harness work and will it plug into the gte ecu?? And i can just run electric fans rather than the clutch fan assembly you said i should swap over right?? And i also belive that i have to change over the intake manifolds to, right??
BDRT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtexican View Post
I really appreciate the info. So the GTE intake, head and block is the way to go?

I should be good then, as I do have that stuff. Thanks a lot and I'll be posting some pics of the work as I go along. (If I can figure out how)

Again: GTE- Intake setup, head, block (splice GE harness for sensor), and mounts should work with the GE car and everything else.

Thanks
no. GE intake. GE mounts.

posted from my phone. sorry for any typos and poor grammar

Tip Jar --->