Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
toyota83
Stock

toyota83 is on a distinguished road
Default new deck, speaker problems? also code 12

hey, just got the girlfriend an 86.5 na 5 speed supra with no rust for $350 for x mas. steal of a deal its in real nice shape. this kid i got it from said it needed a new cd player, so i installed an alpine. the deck lit up but there was no noise from the speakers like the previous deck. is there an external amp somewhere?? my dads porsche 928 has one under the passenger seat. is this similar?

also, the yellow and blue power wire has no power, i ran a temporary jumper from cig lighter plug.

and yes... the wires are all where they are supposed to go...

pics are comin soon.

i jumperd the diag. port and believe i have code 12. the car sometimes accelerates a little rough. not too bad. only under light accel. idles fine, heavy accel fine. just plugs and wires? i hear you have to remove the intake manifold to get those 2 plugs out, which would lead me to believe they have been in there for quite some time.

fog lights... is there a trick to turn them on? switch doesnt do anything. have not checked bulbs or fuses.

final question... upper control arm/balljoint. NAPA doesnt have them, partscity says they can "special order" them and they are over $200. any good sources? online or minneapolis area. not really looking for aftermarket performance ones. its not a f'ing race car...
toyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota83 View Post
hey, just got the girlfriend an 86.5 na 5 speed supra with no rust for $350 for x mas. steal of a deal its in real nice shape. this kid i got it from said it needed a new cd player, so i installed an alpine. the deck lit up but there was no noise from the speakers like the previous deck. is there an external amp somewhere?? my dads porsche 928 has one under the passenger seat. is this similar?

also, the yellow and blue power wire has no power, i ran a temporary jumper from cig lighter plug.
No, no external amp in any pre89 MKIII.

Check the 20A Radio #1 and 7.5A Radio #2 fuses, I believe it's the #1 (engine bay fuse box) that would be the problem.

Quote:
i jumperd the diag. port and believe i have code 12. the car sometimes accelerates a little rough. not too bad. only under light accel. idles fine, heavy accel fine. just plugs and wires? i hear you have to remove the intake manifold to get those 2 plugs out, which would lead me to believe they have been in there for quite some time.
Replacing plugs is easier than it may seem.

Code 12 is set due to either lack of sufficient signal from the CPS (GE and GTE alike), a bad ECU or no starter signal... this code can be set if the car is push started. Start with checking the wire harness to the CPS/Distributor first.

Quote:
fog lights... is there a trick to turn them on? switch doesnt do anything. have not checked bulbs or fuses.
Per DOT regulations they will only operate while the low beam headlights are in operation. They may not be operated separate of the low beams.... so, they won't come on when the hi beams are on, nor will they come on while the parking/marker lights are on, nor will they come on while all other lights are off.

Start with checking the fuse, then check the bulbs, then check the relay... easy things first.

Quote:
final question... upper control arm/balljoint. NAPA doesnt have them, partscity says they can "special order" them and they are over $200. any good sources? online or minneapolis area. not really looking for aftermarket performance ones. its not a f'ing race car...
Sadly, the ball joints are not separately replaceable.... thus the high price. I don't think I've ever found them for much cheaper, maybe as low as $180, but it has been a very long time. I'd just keep asking around. If you, or anyone else, find a less expensive replacement please post it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
toyota83
Stock

thanks for the quick reply and info. i checked all fuses and they are all good...??

there is another wire like an RCA cable running near the antenna wire. whats that for?

i looked in the trunk by the antenna access panel and there is a white-ish 4-terminal plug not connected to anything. ideas?

again i am using temporary power from the cigarette lighter with alligator clips.

dome light does not work, but other courtesy lights do. often in other vehicles i have worked on, the radio and dome light are in the same circuit.

is there any place to get a wiring diagram for the radio and everything connected? (aside from getting a manual which i will do very soon)

thanks again
blown up 95 s10 blazer... lt-1 swap???
new toy 86.5 n/a 5 speed mk3
06 raptor 350
96 ZRT600
and im 20 years old...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The DOME fuse is labeled 20A RADIO in the engine bay fuse box in '88 and earlier MKIII's (and apparently some '89)... it's labeled 20A DOME in later models.

This diagram is for a '90 without the optional CD player. It's the closest diagram I've got a link handy for right now. The only real difference here is that the rear only has one pair of speakers on '88 and older.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=134

Wire colors may vary.

If your dome light is out but your clock does remember the time when the car is turned off then the issue isn't the 20A dome/radio fuse. Pull the lamp housing apart and inspect the grounds for corrosion... they're renowned for it... then test the door switches.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
scaggsj
3" Exhaust

scaggsj is on a distinguished road

[quote=cre;76378]No, no external amp in any pre89 MKIII.

My 87 has a amp under the passanger seat. That was messing up my speakers. The guy at the audio store said it was factory. Maybe my 87 was at the end of that production year, Ill have to check.
1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac Turbo (Died)
scaggsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I stand corrected. You are correct sir, the CD player (the system with the factory amp) was available earlier than I thought... I've no idea when they became an option though. The earliest P/N is for MKIIIs made from Aug. '87 through Aug. '88 (that's the '88 model year): 86280-14220. I'm going to ask around to see if I can find info on any earlier units.

Scaggsj, what's the production date on your car?

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Ok, I spoke to Jeff Lange (human Supra encyclopedia... it's creepy). There was an upgraded sound system with CD player available for the '88 year model. The external amplifier mounted right under the stereo (not under the seat). The '89 and later had an upgrade available which had an amp that sat under the seat. There were no packages available from the factory which had an external amp (under the deck or under the seat) in '86.5 or '87 model years.... the harness didn't even have the plugs so the under the seat amp is unlikely to have been added by any dealer as an option.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
toyota83
Stock

maybe its got one, thanks for the input. i will check in a few minutes. whats kind of wierd is that i wired a brand new speaker directly to the deck... still nothing. now i guess this could mean both my cd players are fried. im not a wiring guy. i love carburetors

in the rear near the harness i have the antenna wire, and an rca-looking wire. ill post a pic. any clue as to what this is for? (provided i dont find an amp under my seat)
blown up 95 s10 blazer... lt-1 swap???
new toy 86.5 n/a 5 speed mk3
06 raptor 350
96 ZRT600
and im 20 years old...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
in the rear near the harness i have the antenna wire, and an rca-looking wire. ill post a pic. any clue as to what this is for? (provided i dont find an amp under my seat)
I had that on my car too, the rca looking wire is part of the antenna system, one is connected to the power antenna and the other one is connected to the hatch. For after market, it's not really required, so I just left it un hooked.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The OEM stereos used two antennas... one in the glass and the mast type. I always thought the glass one must be for AM, but I've been informed by a couple different people that both were for FM and that the head unit would switch between them to get the best reception... They are both antennas... This much I know.

Tip Jar --->