Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default 1987 supra turbo ?'s

Alright im thinking about buying this supra later on this week and I just wanted to know a couple of things. this is a little description about it first off.

-Nice little 1987 toyota supra with turbo. 5spd, 7mgte motor, Has about 168,XXX miles, runs good. the top comes off, power windows/locks. nice inside, Needs a little work done to it but a nice car. Taged and ready to be on the street. CLEAR TEXAS TITLE IN HAND If you need any more info just give me a call at or just send an e-mail. Asking $2000 O.B.O please no scams and tire kickers. thanks.-( found out that the radio does not work or the passenger window does not roll up....easy fix though )

So I read the sticky about what to look for when looking at the car but do you all think this is a good buy? He sent me some pics the inside looks real good but the outside paint is worn and scratched up and everything i believe is stock. Im thinking about offering him 1500 for it. I just needed some insite from some pros up on here.

Thanks

Last edited by DaBoss07; 04-12-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more information
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Can anyone help please?
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

about on average on the 7mgte does the milage get to before stuff starts going bad. Dont get me wrong it is going to be a project car for me. Just getting as much info as I can. Also about what milage is the average to go get it looked at (i.e. tune up, belts, etc...)
thanks
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Muncie, IN
Posts: 86
Vacationtime247 is on a distinguished road
Default

A blown head gasket can happen at any time. You'll have fun tearing the engine apart and putting it all back together if and when it goes. A front balancer bolt that is a fun time to remove. Awkword angles to fit in extensions. Stripped bolts on the head. Other items that should be replaced are the timing belt. If it's the original, take into consideration that the belt (and everything else on the car) is 20 years old.

If you like the MKIII Supra, turn to the dark side. Buy one cheap but in nice condition. Rip that POS 7M engine OUT! Put a 350 Chevy or a LS type motor down in there. It's a lot less headache to convert one than fix the 7M. You can convert one for around the same cost as you could buy a running MKIII for. Something to also consider, is if you do purchase one running, how long will it continue to go before catostrophic failure?
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoss07 View Post
about on average on the 7mgte does the milage get to before stuff starts going bad. Dont get me wrong it is going to be a project car for me. Just getting as much info as I can. Also about what milage is the average to go get it looked at (i.e. tune up, belts, etc...)
thanks
Vacationtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 View Post
A blown head gasket can happen at any time. You'll have fun tearing the engine apart and putting it all back together if and when it goes. A front balancer bolt that is a fun time to remove. Awkword angles to fit in extensions. Stripped bolts on the head. Other items that should be replaced are the timing belt. If it's the original, take into consideration that the belt (and everything else on the car) is 20 years old.

If you like the MKIII Supra, turn to the dark side. Buy one cheap but in nice condition. Rip that POS 7M engine OUT! Put a 350 Chevy or a LS type motor down in there. It's a lot less headache to convert one than fix the 7M. You can convert one for around the same cost as you could buy a running MKIII for. Something to also consider, is if you do purchase one running, how long will it continue to go before catostrophic failure?
VT247
Yea your right. I do love this car dont get me wrong I have wanted one since I was like 15 so you can see where I am coming from. But would it really be easier just to take the entire engine out and replace it with a LS type? Or just to take it and have it rebuilt....cause wouldnt that cost about the same?
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Muncie, IN
Posts: 86
Vacationtime247 is on a distinguished road
Default Toyota Supra MKIII V8 Chevy LS 350 vs 7M GTE

I'm in the same situation. I like the MKIII. The body lines and styling are A1. The engine, is another story. Just taking out the 7M is a pain in the arse.

A stock running MKIII with a 7M GTE will run @$2500-$5000 and get you down the 1320 ' (1/4 mile) at best in the mid to low 14's

A converted MKIII with a 350 Chevy or any type LS engine will run $2500-$5000 and turn 12's or faster.

Let's say you got $5k to spend on this.

Spend $5k on a running and driving Supra in decent condition. Mileage will probably be in the 100k range. Sure, you can get in and drive it. But when and where will it decide to quit out on you. Then, you'll still have to rebuild the motor (or have someone else do it) at an exhorbent cost.

Spend $1000 on a Supra with a blown motor. It won't be that hard to find one. However, with any Supra purchase, you'll have to travel some to pick it up. Now you got $4k to spend on a conversion. An LS engine will no doubt cost more than a 350 would. But, the LS engines make wicked power for their size. Even a mildly built 5.3 truck engine can be built for @ $2500 and pump out 450+HP. You'd be looking at mid 12's in the Supra with that combo. Remember that the Supra's came with 3.72 or higher rear end gears. Most with 4.11's or higher. Great for the torque V8's put down.
VT247


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoss07 View Post
Yea your right. I do love this car dont get me wrong I have wanted one since I was like 15 so you can see where I am coming from. But would it really be easier just to take the entire engine out and replace it with a LS type? Or just to take it and have it rebuilt....cause wouldnt that cost about the same?
Vacationtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 View Post
I'm in the same situation. I like the MKIII. The body lines and styling are A1. The engine, is another story. Just taking out the 7M is a pain in the arse.

A stock running MKIII with a 7M GTE will run @$2500-$5000 and get you down the 1320 ' (1/4 mile) at best in the mid to low 14's

A converted MKIII with a 350 Chevy or any type LS engine will run $2500-$5000 and turn 12's or faster.

Let's say you got $5k to spend on this.

Spend $5k on a running and driving Supra in decent condition. Mileage will probably be in the 100k range. Sure, you can get in and drive it. But when and where will it decide to quit out on you. Then, you'll still have to rebuild the motor (or have someone else do it) at an exhorbent cost.

Spend $1000 on a Supra with a blown motor. It won't be that hard to find one. However, with any Supra purchase, you'll have to travel some to pick it up. Now you got $4k to spend on a conversion. An LS engine will no doubt cost more than a 350 would. But, the LS engines make wicked power for their size. Even a mildly built 5.3 truck engine can be built for @ $2500 and pump out 450+HP. You'd be looking at mid 12's in the Supra with that combo. Remember that the Supra's came with 3.72 or higher rear end gears. Most with 4.11's or higher. Great for the torque V8's put down.
VT247
Yea that sounds like a good idea! well I have about 2500 bucks from my motorcycle accident and im just trying to find a new a to b car (but of course with some power to it) So im guessing 1500 isnt too bad for this car since it is in running condition. But that means ill have about 1000 to do whatever with and maybe make it look nice. But this is where im at for now. Thanks so much for the details
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

But does anyone think that 1500 for this car would be good?
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Muncie, IN
Posts: 86
Vacationtime247 is on a distinguished road
Default $1500? Sounds like a pretty good deal....

For $1500 that's a pretty good deal, it still runs and drives. Even if it has high mileage and some body / paint issues. Point out the flaws and the mileage. If it's been for sale for a while, he'll probably take the cash. Take the car out and drive it. If you get that feeling of insecurity or something doesn't feel right, move on. Best of luck, post some pics up if you get it.
VT247
Vacationtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #10
DaBoss07
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
DaBoss07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yea dude of course I will
DaBoss07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP PLEASE Nick0887 Non-Generation Specific Questions 4 02-28-2009 07:26 AM
About to be handed down a 1987 Supra Turbo. Need help/Advice on restoration. j0ker MKIII Supra 2 08-09-2008 07:42 PM
Dream Offer Karma_Supra MKIV Supra 22 10-17-2007 04:04 PM
Sequential Turbo Question suprapoweredsoarer MKIV Supra 1 06-06-2006 01:13 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

1986



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86