Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
j0ker
Stock

j0ker is on a distinguished road
Default About to be handed down a 1987 Supra Turbo. Need help/Advice on restoration.

I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and hopefully get help from everyone here.

I'm 19 yrs old, car enthusiast/valet parker. My uncle has a 1987 Supra Turbo with 87,000 Miles on it, which has been sitting in his driveway for ~11 Years. The car, has an immense amount of oxidation, rust, and dust. For the 11 years, the car hasn't been started, nor moved from that one spot. Everything on the car looks about fine, except for the exterior paint. It has sat through 11 years of sunlight, snow, rain, etc.
I found out he was getting rid of it tomorrow, so I quickly asked him to just let me take it instead of trashing it (Since there's only 87,000 Miles on it and it has LOTS of potential) and he agreed to let me have it. So tomorrow I will be towing the car from his house to my house.

I would like to restore it, and make it run up to its reputation. I would like to know though, where to start first? Of course, first I'd want to make sure it runs, but i'm not sure where to start. Engine-wise, I need advice on what to check and where. (Oh, and also how to pry open the hood due to the cable snapping upon trying to pop the hood*). I need suggestions on what to replace, WHERE & What sites to buy parts/aftermarket parts from, and what size tires I'd need to purchase as well.

I'd like to make this my own project car as i do have sufficient funds to do so, and I have intentions to make this a weekend/track car. I need suggestions/help/advice on what are the best mods to do ie: turbo kit, exhuast, springs/coilovers, etc.

Thanks for any help. And yes, I know how to search...but i'd rather have fresh ideas and parts come along.

CLIFFS:
-Receiving 1987 Supra Turbo, 87k Miles on it
-Needs minor engine fixes, but can't pop hood either
-Needs major exterior work
-Want to restore it & make weekend/track car
-Need sites to buy parts, and need to know which parts are the best
-Need advice.
j0ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and hopefully get help from everyone here.

I'm 19 yrs old, car enthusiast/valet parker. My uncle has a 1987 Supra Turbo with 87,000 Miles on it, which has been sitting in his driveway for ~11 Years. The car, has an immense amount of oxidation, rust, and dust. For the 11 years, the car hasn't been started, nor moved from that one spot. Everything on the car looks about fine, except for the exterior paint. It has sat through 11 years of sunlight, snow, rain, etc.
I found out he was getting rid of it tomorrow, so I quickly asked him to just let me take it instead of trashing it (Since there's only 87,000 Miles on it and it has LOTS of potential) and he agreed to let me have it. So tomorrow I will be towing the car from his house to my house.

I would like to restore it, and make it run up to its reputation. I would like to know though, where to start first? Of course, first I'd want to make sure it runs, but i'm not sure where to start. Engine-wise, I need advice on what to check and where. (Oh, and also how to pry open the hood due to the cable snapping upon trying to pop the hood*). I need suggestions on what to replace, WHERE & What sites to buy parts/aftermarket parts from, and what size tires I'd need to purchase as well.

I'd like to make this my own project car as i do have sufficient funds to do so, and I have intentions to make this a weekend/track car. I need suggestions/help/advice on what are the best mods to do ie: turbo kit, exhuast, springs/coilovers, etc.

Thanks for any help. And yes, I know how to search...but i'd rather have fresh ideas and parts come along.

CLIFFS:
-Need advice.

hello.. first off.. we need pictures of just how bad this exterior is. then we can suggest the path to take. next we need to know if it turns over. if not try a new battery. you say its been sitting for 11 years or about that im positive its dead. tire size i believe is 225-55R16 for my 91.. i think yours is the same with the sawblade rims. next thing is.. before you try to start it, change all the fluids in it. oil, coolant, brakes, ect. give it some new spark plugs just to be sure and so you have new ones (always better to have new parts) as for the hood, couldnt tell ya. try to find where the cable snapped. if its inside the car and it snapped off the lever you could try using a "locking pliers" and yank it to get the hood open. hatch cable is probably stretched too depending on how much it was used. umm, i am drawing blanks right now. suprasport has good parts, ebay isnt a very good spot because you never know what your going to get. ha. let us know how everything is going. welcome to the family i guess. i hope you got some deep pockets to keep this thing going. parts arnt cheep and this car has a lot of them. im only going to warn you about the head gasket. its not fun. so don't go get rev happy and bounce the rev limiter if you get it running. you wiillll blow it. haha.

maybe chambers or supramacist could help on the stuff i am sure i forgot. haha. or anybody for that matter.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0ker View Post

CLIFFS:
-Need advice.
Hi there, If the car is not becoming you daily driver, then you are in good shape. First off, I would say WD-40 and some kind of bolt brake fast will become you best friends if your car is that bad. Even if you cant get the hood opened get yourself a few cans of WD-40 and start hosing the car down, open everything up and start spraying. In the hatch there are two access panels, one on the left, and one opposite. Get some WD-40 there, as well as under the cargo panel. Spray all the under side components as well.

For the hood, first make sure the lever is securely bolted down, if its loose it may not pull the cable enough. But depending on where the cable broke you may be able to take some locking pliers and pull from inside, if that doesn't work you may have to try to go from underneath the car and unbolt the latch, its two 10 or 12mm bolts. The only problem I can see, is your intercooler and oil cooler may be in the way enough that you cant get to them from underneath.

When you get the hood open, I would look over everything. Try not to become dumbfounded by the absolute beauty of a Supra engine and forget to check for what counts, . Start by checking the oil fill cap, unscrew it and look underneath it, If there is just oil then you good to go for now. Then check the dipstick, same thing about the oil. Check the radiator and coolant overflow tank as well, you may want to be getting yourself a new rad, and clean your overflow tank. Check the power steering fluid reservoir as well. Also check all the vacuum hoses, they may be dry rotted. I would suggest you change all the fluids here first.

I would suggest you invest some of your cash in a nice set of jack stands and a low profile floor jack. Make sure you get one that says it pumps to the top in just a few pumps. After you do that, put the car up on all four jack stands, check the TSRM for jack stand points.

Moving onto the drive train, after 11 years you may want to consider a new gear oil, clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, slave cylinder, and clutch line. To check the gear oil in the 5spd have the car jacked up, on the driver side of the transmission there is a large bolt, there is a similar bolt on the under side as well. Unbolt the one on the side, then use your finger to feel the level of gear oil, it should be right a the bottom of the hole. Next check the drive shaft carrier bearing, grab hold of the drive shaft and try to push and pull it, if it moves then you may want to get yourself a new carrier bearing or see if a local welding shop can make a single piece drive shaft for you. Now move to the rear, here again there are two bolts on it, but the fill this time is on the back of the rear. Same process applies here, use your finger to determine the fluid level. I would recommend you drain and re-fill these components with fresh fluid.

When you get that stuff sorted out start doing a stern look over. Take each wheel and try to shake them, if you hear any popping or grinding something else needs to be pulled apart and checked. Then after you get the engine running, and you are on level ground, have someone get in and turn the steering wheel full left and full right, while they are doing that you take a good look a the steering components, I would say start with the steering rack. If the turning response is direct, such as when the wheel turns the rack turns then you are probably good to go. I do not know if the stock lower ball joints have any grease fitting on them, if they do I would get some new grease in them, also if you find any other grease fitting on any other component of the steering then grease them as well.

I would suggest you replace all the brake components as well, calipers, pads, rotors, and get yourself some stainless brake lines. When you do the rear brakes, do not forget to put the parking brake down, or you will be scratching your head wondering why you can get anything apart.

As for paint and body work, I have two suggestions. First, if you have the time and money, strip it down to a rolling chassis and fix all the bad spots. Or, if you have the space, find a "parts car" or a shell that has no rust and just do a transplantation of all parts from your car. Either way, you may be stripping a car down, but in the end you will know you have no nasty surprises waiting for you a few years down the road.

Ok, when you start your project I know the call of more horse power from turbo kit sounds appealing but I would focus on returning your car to its stock form before you start heading to higher horsepower.

After all this, I've only given you a starting point, there are plenty of things I didn't touch on, so just beware of that.

Good luck.

Helpful webs:

HorsepowerFreaks.com Performance Parts Aftermarket and Racing
Driftmotion Garage >> Welcome
www.suprastore.com - Toyota Supra Pics, Toyota Supra Parts, Toyota Supra's For Sale, Toyota Supra Pictures, Used Toyota Supra, Supra MKIV Sale, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
suprasport.com
BIC Performance Home
935 Motorsports Home Page
www.SUPRAS.com - Member's Section
Supra Parts, Performance, and Restoration - Adrenaline Motorsports
MKIII Supra Graveyard
ebay.com - some time you can find decent stuff here, just beware of ebay prices and ebay crap.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote