Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, as far as keys, you can pull the lock cylinder out of the passenger door and have one made from the code that is on it. Any locksmith should be able to do it...on most cars it's only the the passenger cylinder that has the code. I know becuase as I said, my AE86 was abandoned and I had to get new keys made.
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Skyer
Stock

Skyer is on a distinguished road

I already had a locksmith pull the passenger door's lock and had a key made, but the darn thing turns everything but the ignition. We suppose the ignition is from a diferent car. (we haven't tried the red supra's key..... hehehehe wonder if it'll work......) I already had plans of going to the DMV whenever I get some free time, but right now I am working quite a lot. I wouldn't mind getting a salvage title either since the car is for staying plus, this cars only sell to people that know about them. so it wouldn't really matter much. oh and one more thing, we discovered that no one had smoked in the car ever! that's pretty cool!
Skyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Makavelli
3" Exhaust

Makavelli is on a distinguished road

I get my Supra in about an hour, but here's the story:

I was driving my recently paid off Hundai Elantra (yea, baby!) when some jackass rearended me at a red light, and sped off. Because I only carried liability insurance, I was stuck with a totaled car. I decided to shop around for a new ride.
I wasn't even thinking about buying a Supra, but came across an internet listing at a local dealership. It was a white 87 NA, with 160k on it. I gave it a spin and the engine felt weak. The dealer wanted $4k for it, and I passed.
So, off I went a car shoppin, when what to my wandering eyes should appear? An 87 NA on a little Buy Here/Pay Here lot. This one had 103k on it and had the power it was supposed to. On the test drive, I was hooked, but on the way back to the dealer it blew up.
Frusterated with my lousy prospects, I did one last internet search for a car under $4000.
I found an 86.5 NA Supra with 98k miles for $1000!
Thinkin it must have a blown HG, I put the seller through the ringer. First Firestone's used car check-up, then a Toyota Master Tech to check the heads. It not only passed, but was one of the cleanest, well kept engines the mechanic had ever seen. He offered to buy it from the seller if I didn't.
Still worried about the possibility of a BGH, I wrestled with the decision. Then it hit me--a used car warranty!
I found a company that offered a 5 year, 100k mile (additional, not total) powertrain warranty that covered many things including--ta da!--Head Gaskets!
I bought the warranty for $1000, which may seem high, but in all honesty I just bought an 86.5 Supra with a 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty for 2 grand.
She needs a fender, a front tire and some paint, but she's sweet nonetheless.
Seems like fate...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Stock...for now</span>
Makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
SuperSupra86
3" Exhaust

SuperSupra86 is on a distinguished road

About three months ago i ran across an add in the paper for a white 87 turbo targa top M/T for 1300$ it ended up having 103k miles on and a BHG....which i expected.....but anyways i jumped for joy....the body was gorgeous and everything else ran fine. I bought it took it home bought an HKS 4mm metal Headgaskets, ARP Head bolts, Timing belt, etc... ....figured it out and i've cut some weight down to about 2900 lbs....swapped in new turbo...got manual boost controller....now im consider putting a 1jz engine in... I've been looking at body kits as well...but they add too much weight....I love her and will never let her go...the guy had no idea what he was letting go in my opinion....but man she hauls a**
Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #15
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyer@Aug 4 2005, 05:16 PM
I already had a locksmith pull the passenger door's lock and had a key made, but the darn thing turns everything but the ignition. We suppose the ignition is from a diferent car. (we haven't tried the red supra's key..... hehehehe wonder if it'll work......) I already had plans of going to the DMV whenever I get some free time, but right now I am working quite a lot. I wouldn't mind getting a salvage title either since the car is for staying plus, this cars only sell to people that know about them. so it wouldn't really matter much. oh and one more thing, we discovered that no one had smoked in the car ever! that's pretty cool!
When I first got my AE86 my Supra key worked in the ignition for the 'rolla. After a while it got picky and wouldn't accept it anymore and that's when I pulled my cylinder to get the key made. I hear that 1 in 100 keys work in another car, so it would hurt to give it a try.

I felt the same way with my AE86 about the salvage title...anybody who I'd sell it to would know what it was worth and wouldn't care about the title being Salvaged. In fact it was sitting in my front yard on cinder blocks for months and I had 4 offers to buy it w/o running and missing a front left suspension!!! Recently I had a guy flag me down and offer me $4000 for it...I paid $250 for it
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Skyer
Stock

We tried the key and it didn't work, my intention was to use a worn out key my brother had (for the red supra) that you could pull out anytime but he lost it. anyways, we received a call from the guy that sold us the car he wants the VIN number so he can process the title?????? maybe things will start moving, I'll give him another shot for now.
I got the pics in my computer at home, I'll see if I can post them tonight
Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #17
Star.View
Stock

Star.View is on a distinguished road

I bought two supras in two days!

Last time I saw an MKIII in town was about 4-5 years ago. Hadn't thought about them since.

Two months ago I cut through one of the unseedy side streets of downtown, saw a white turbo MKIII in a grassy lot with a big orange sticker on it. Miles ~145k. Four flat tires, busted out rear window, rough interior (it was unlocked!), but no obvious rust or signs it had been wrecked. Plates had been renewed 6 months ago. Orange sticker was a tow threat by the city. Mechanic from the garage across the street appeared and told me the engine was blown and the owner couldn't afford to fix it. Visited again a couple of days later and this time found some guys hanging around who knew the owner. Got her phone number (she lived in another town). She said everything was working great on the car when the engine went. She would think about selling it, but she never returned my calls. So there it sits, wasting away...

But the white car caused me to do some research. Found out Supras were in my price range (took 20 years). Found a red one (nonturbo) on Auto Trader for $1000, only 35 miles from me. Called him. He said right after he placed the ad, the car wouldn't start for the first buyer that came out to look at it. I told him I didn't care if it started. He said he would take $500 for it today. We went out, and he had it running. Interior was in very nice shape. Paint was shot. Odometer wasn't working, so it probably had 180k miles on it. Brake caliper was locking up. Holes in muffler. Motor sounded good. We bought it, and he delivered it to my barn on a flatbed.

The very next day my husband saw a dark blue 87 (nonturbo) on a residential street near his office. He stopped and asked the kid if the car was for sale. He said probably, and gave my husband his parents number. We called. The car had been purchased from the neighbor for the son to drive, and he didn't want to drive it (???). They had it for several years and only put a few hundred miles on it. Interior was perfect, everything worked but the sony stereo LCD display was burned out. Motor hummed, only had synthetic oil in it. All original, 124k miles. This was one I could drive immediately so we bought it for $2500. Probably too much, because I immediately spent another $500 on repairs. It needed a new brake caliper and throttle position sensor. Found a bad belt in one of the tires that causes it to pull, but plan to rotate it to the rear. Bought a second brake caliper for the front, and the old one will go on the red supra in the barn.

Still waiting to see if the white supra gets towed - one of my clients is the contracted tow company for the city. If it sits on their lot for 60 days they will sell it.

Will be selling the red one as soon as hubby fixes the caliper and puts the new muffler on. With a little tweaking, engine starts everytime. We won't be selling it for $500

tracy
supraX2
Star.View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #18
mommasupra
Stock

mommasupra is on a distinguished road

btw........As for the 86.5 Supra we picked up in Indianapolis.....it was the fuel pump! We dropped the gas tank (and cleaned out some real SLUDGE!) installed a $100 fuel pump and VOILA! our supra purred to life. No smoke, no knocks, and it feels strong! I am so excited because this means the $1000 I had reserved for anew motor can be spent reupholtering the leather seats. Like supraman1784 said, people don't know what they have! I got a 1986.5 supra for $248, a $100 fuel pump and a very weird trip to Indianapolis.
mommasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #19
Skyer
Stock

bad news!!!!! my sister backed into my supra denting in the front side panel on the passenger side. no structural damage but the passenger door won't open so we have been getting in the car a la dukes of Hazard style. It surely isn't a big deal but it sure does sets me back a little.
another thing that is bothering me is that the car pees water out of the radiator reservoir tank it seems it builds up pressure in the rad and water s forced out.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #20
huggybear16
Stock

huggybear16 is on a distinguished road

I am 16 years old now, just turned in july, it al started when I moved back from nashville to here, memphis, i went to visit a freind of mine, but his mom moved out, well me and his mom started talkin and she ask me, if I knew anybody that wanted to buy a car, well I said me, so I looked at it and it was a 1988 supra n/a automatic, interior is tore to hell, and it dont run but the body and paint is in damn good shape, I said how much?? she said 200$ so I come back a week later after sellin tons of my stuff, and BAM there is a supra in my drive way
huggybear16 is offline   Reply With Quote