View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #3
mommasupra
Stock

mommasupra is on a distinguished road

Our story began in 2003 when we decided to purchase a car for our soon to be 16 year old son. My husband thought it would be a good idea if our son learned how to build and work on his own cars, so we began looking for a good used car that needed motor work. We discovered e-bay. We actually made our very first purchase in December of 2003. A 1987 Supra with a blown head gasket. We won it in auction for $800. The only problem, it was 800 miles away. We simply planned a Christmas trip, picked it up and towed it home. By April, we had purchased a motor and all the parts we needed (on e-bay of course) and our son has a beautiful Supra. He enjoyed working on the car so much, and I love driving it, so my husband thought we might do this again. This time, we bought a 1986.5 Supra. The ad claimed that it had a busted timing belt. It had a few "drunk bumps" and needs new leather seats. We decided that the price was right and won it on auction for $280. Wow what a steal. It took a month for us to schedule the trip to pick it up because like our first, it was 600 miles away in Indianapolis.
We went last weekend to pick it up. Wow, what a trip. We took the whole family along, mom, dad, big brother and little brother. We only had two days, so it was going to be 10 hours there, pick up the car, drive until we were exhausted, sleep, drive home the next day. The trip to Indianapolis was relatively easy, we left home at 5:30 am and arrived on the outskirts at 4:00 pm. Then we just had to find the place that had our car. We drove all the way around the city, found our exit and immediately began to be a little concerned about the location. As we drove further and further into town, things began to look a little worse and worse. We found the car lot! YEAH! The guys who were there said they didn't know anything about us coming but the car was on the back lot and we could go get it. We drove past the liquor store beside the car lot and turned into the back lot behind the liquor store. Thank goodness the owner came out with us to shoo the homeless people away who were camped on our Supra. We got out and walked around the car. It obviously had been sitting here a little longer than the ad had led us to believe. The homeless people had been living in it and we could see food packages, lighters and god knows what else strewn all over the interior. (When did this guy take those pictures? ) We looked around and noticed that all of the guys who worked at the shop had disappeared. The liquor store parking lot was beginning to fill up with people who shall we say were kinda scary. My husband and our oldest son immediately began the task of getting the car onto the trailer (with a hand come along I might add) THis was going to take some time. Our youngest son and I began keeping an eye on the perimeter and trying to look like we did not want anything (or own anything for that matter) The scariest part was when I was trying to help my husband unwind the straps to tie the car down and this attracted the attention of one of the local girls who came over immediately with her "manager" to see why I was being handcuffed. I explained that we were together and would be getting out of there as soon as possible. It was starting to get later and I did not want to be here when it got dark! Well, we finally got it loaded and tied down and decided to drive down the road a ways before we really checked it out (like 50 miles away!) We did get it home and after a stop at the hardware store for gloves and garbage bags, and the carwash ,it is in our garage. A new project to love! BTW.... the timing belt is fine so wonder what the problem is?
mommasupra is offline   Reply With Quote