Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Supra Specific > Road Racing & Autocross

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
acousticrawk
Intake

acousticrawk is on a distinguished road

listen, i love supras as much as all of you, but i know alot about cars across the board, and by the sound of that comaro and the way it launched an ran, and how it looked, somoen knew what they were doing, and that is at least a low 10's comaro, maybe in the 9's or faster. i have spent my whole life at the strips watching cars run, and that supra didnt stand a chance no matter who was driving it, trust me.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #12
monkihead
SP58GT

monkihead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by acousticrawk@Aug 26 2005, 09:52 PM
listen, i love supras as much as all of you, but i know alot about cars across the board, and by the sound of that comaro and the way it launched an ran, and how it looked, somoen knew what they were doing, and that is at least a low 10's comaro, maybe in the 9's or faster. i have spent my whole life at the strips watching cars run, and that supra didnt stand a chance no matter who was driving it, trust me.
do you even know what it takes to get 10s? much less 9s?? i havent seen the vid in a while and i do believe in a good launch. other supra sites have many vid clips eating chevys from which is no suprize. in another f-body forum i go to(for selling parts) praise the supra. they like em since they can give them a run for thier money.

p.s. sound has NOTHING to do with power.

monique- better off dead

Old 08-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

the only thing you can get from sound is 3 things

1) upgraded exhaust
2) turbo or supercharger
3) nitrous (though it only really comes up when there is a lot of it)

My bro has an F-body, and so do a few of my friends, there are generally 2 camps on supras, they either think they're dyno queens and not really good at racing, or they think it's up their with their cars, like Z cars and RX-7's.

Horsepower only matters near the end of the strip and on 60mph punches. Torque is what's needed, and V8's have us on that generally. The reason I like Turbo cars is that you can control the boost and fuel with a computer, run CRAP gas if you know what you're doing with the computers, and get great gas mileage, then dump race gas in, tune it up to the max, and fry anyone that comes your way. If you build a monster engine that isn't turboed you can't do this.

Anyways, it's power to weight ratio that really matters int he end, and we all know our supras are considered pigs in that regard becuase of their weight. My bro's F-body is made SOOOOOO cheap compared to mine, where I have a high quality interor, his is spartan, ect...

In the end...who cares, let's all go roast some hondas :lol:
Old 08-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #14
acousticrawk
Intake

hoah! to roasting hondas! haha.

Quote:
do you even know what it takes to get 10s? much less 9s?? i havent seen the vid in a while and i do believe in a good launch. other supra sites have many vid clips eating chevys from which is no suprize. in another f-body forum i go to(for selling parts) praise the supra. they like em since they can give them a run for thier money.

now, your telling me by the sound, especially of old muscle, you cant tell anything? have you ever seen a drag strip? your nuts man. i have been racing or watching drags since i was born. i can just about guess the HP or engine size by listening to an engine run. look at the car, look at the tires, look at the cars stance, look at how well he launched....the point im making is the person driving knows what they are doing, and seeing this we an inferr that it was built by someone knowing what they were doing. that is a very well built street car and it ran like a top. also, that wasnt your normal small black, that was in the 396-454 range, so that means even MORE power. oh and yes, i do know what it takes to run nines, my cuda runs an 8.40 avg.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
monkihead
SP58GT

monkihead is on a distinguished road

there is no way in hell you can see how much hp a car has by listening to it, no matter how old you are. you would be a dodge fanatic to say you could.
1. store i work at
2. sbc's i sell, few bbc not in the pic.
complete 383
3. just because its loud doesnt mean its powerful. ive seen idiot domestics have bad cam, gear, carb and stall combinations but be loud as hell.
4. iroc-z 454 built by us

any pics of the almighty cuda and its ever so powerful motor?? i know dodge is capable with thier big blocks, i had my heart set on a 72 challenger w/440 six pack. it was beautiful, but my cousin was a greedy weasle

monique- better off dead

Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
SuperSupra86
3" Exhaust

SuperSupra86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by acousticrawk@Aug 29 2005, 12:24 AM
hoah! to roasting hondas! haha.

now, your telling me by the sound, especially of old muscle, you cant tell anything? have you ever seen a drag strip? your nuts man. i have been racing or watching drags since i was born. i can just about guess the HP or engine size by listening to an engine run. look at the car, look at the tires, look at the cars stance, look at how well he launched....the point im making is the person driving knows what they are doing, and seeing this we an inferr that it was built by someone knowing what they were doing. that is a very well built street car and it ran like a top. also, that wasnt your normal small black, that was in the 396-454 range, so that means even MORE power. oh and yes, i do know what it takes to run nines, my cuda runs an 8.40 avg.
[/quote]
Monkihead....I know you like to point out frauds, but your wasting your time here. This guy just wants to start a war...First off I don't believe that you run an 8.40 avg with your cuda because the power it would have to have to run that would be nearly impossible to grip your tires and avg that if you had said 9.4 or 10.1...something in that range it might have been believable...My 87 turbo and i have never run an offcial 1/4 time (though i'd love to) my most generous guess would be 11.5....at absolute best and mind you i have the money, time, and reasources to work on my car when i want and my dream is to break that 10 second mark...
I would like to agree with Monkihead on the fact that you can't tell a damn thing about a car from its sound, except maybe that the muffler is wrecked....maybe if you look at the car you can get a gauge for how large the engine is.....but not the HP...HP doesn't make noise...i'm sure you can guess at it all day long, but that doesn't mean with any degree of accuracy....
Hell i've spanked the hell out soooo many muscle cars....Wisconsin people love their American Muscle and i get a lot of crap for my "Premium Ricer" the way i handle it is by spanking their cars....Oh yeah and i have been to my fair share of drag races....and the things you listed aren't gonne tell you a whole lot about the car....so i propose that you either start making logical, defendable points or put away your "gun"
Old 08-31-2005, 04:01 AM   #17
acousticrawk
Intake

haha, poor young grasshoppers. go spend some time at the track. the point is, wether you believe me or not, (i could give a sheot less) that the car is built, using all available senses you can use in a video, one must inferr that it is a increadibly well built. ill post cude pics when i figure out hw and have some time.. and yes it runs an 840 agv with a 502 and twin 4's. but if you dont believe me i really dont car. oh and im not starting a war, just making a point that no matter how much you all love supras (and i do to) there not unbeatable. there not supercars, there just quick street cars, very easy to build a faster than a supra kinda car.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
acousticrawk
Intake

oh and my old mans altered runs 7.30's
Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 AM   #19
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but come on people, you're comparing apples to oranges. The Supra is made to take winding mountain roads in Japan, not straight line bombing runs (though it does that well too). We have a fully independant rear suspension for that reason. Like Corvettes, we're not drag cars, we're made to handle, though we can drag race quite well, we won't beat a tubbed monster...
Old 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #20
acousticrawk
Intake

Quote:
Originally posted by Poodles@Aug 31 2005, 05:01 AM
Yeah, but come on people, you're comparing apples to oranges. The Supra is made to take winding mountain roads in Japan, not straight line bombing runs (though it does that well too). We have a fully independant rear suspension for that reason. Like Corvettes, we're not drag cars, we're made to handle, though we can drag race quite well, we won't beat a tubbed monster...
exactly. well said.
Closed Thread