Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default More problems for Scruffy in NJ "haunted Supra?"

I hate to hog this board but I seem to be havin a run of bad luck. I passed emissions, got hood latch fixed, then coolant system started to leak. Found split hose under distributor (bypass hose or upper return hose?). Almost got ripped of by mechanic tellin me he has to take off distributor. Well I replaced the hose, its about 4" with a 90o bend. It's still slightly leaking coolant. I went to Strauss Auto and had their guys look at it, although not one of em spoke enough English so I had to talk to 4 guys and they would try to put together what I was saying. I thought maybe the worm screw was not on the nipple enough so the guy goes in and tightens it (now I can't get to it at all, what with the angle he put it at). It's still dripping ever so slightly, but enough to make me uncomfortable. I bring it back and they take what looks like a dental mirror to look under the hose and point to what I think was the thermostat housing and said that was leaking. Now I would just like to take it to a mechanic and say "Hey, fix this, but don't rob me blind". I still think maybe the worm screw isn't seated right, I don't know. Can anyone give me a tip on what to say when I go to the mechanic so I sound like I know what I'm talkin about, before they start tellin me I have to replace water pump or some crazy shit. I swear, I think this Supra is haunted and I never thought I'd say this but I'm about to give up. Let someone else deal with all this. But I do love the car and want to keep it. Everyone who rides in it says how great the engine sounds and how fast it is and how easy it shifts, and they are right. They just don't know what I go through to keep this tempermental little bitch on the road.

Sincerely,

James in NJ
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Re: coolant leak

I may have fixed my problem. Last night I tightened every worm screw on every hose near the thermostat that I could get to. Today it looks like leaks may have stopped. If not, what is the device behind the thermostat housing, because the housing seems attached to that as tight as a ducks ass, but its what is behind it where the leaks may be. Any help?

Thanks,

James
Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

isnt the cps or distributer behind the thermostat housing, and on my 87t there was the powersteering fluid resviour
Old 01-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

There is a whole housing that the thermostat outlet mounts to. There are actually a few places it could leak around that area.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar.../co/CO_02.html

With the hose clamps you are using (very common), they tend to start seeping in the winter. The rubber hose shrinks a little. I always take a few minutes after the first cold weather to snug them all up a bit.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

maybe the gasket has flogged out that goes between the water pipes and the back of the water pump
it has two 12mm nuts on it.. the water pipe travels under the exhaust manifold and to the back of the engine feeding the heater hoses

you might be able to see that between the exhaust manifold and cps... not too sure

have a look and let us know

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
scruffboy
walbro fp

Unhappy Re: Coolant Leak

Both scenarios make sense. I no longer have a leak at the hose that was originally leaking (definite), but there is still some leakage behind and below that. Mr.Nickleye is right, there is a whole unit that the thermostat housing bolts to, and it may be up in there some where. But also I see coolant below that, so I don't know if Supra Girl may be right. Or Mr.Nicleye might be right and its just dripping down. (What a friggin mess) I think I need to go to a mechanic, but after being hustled so often, I dread the thought. I went to a guy yesterday who specializes in jap imports and he said he would do a pressure check and then let me see what is leaking. Does this sound like a good way to go?

Sincerely,

James in NJ

Oh, and by the way Mr.Nickleye, I had that drawing in hand when I walked into this guys office. I don't want him to think I'm an easy mark.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

lol more than likely we're talking bout the same thing

and good plan walkin in with the diagram hehe

k here's all possible water leaks on that side of the engine

1. gasket which thermostat rear housing bolts to on the head
  2. block off plate on turbo (no pipes go to this one)
  3. water lines to the turbo from thermostat housing
  4. main water union located in center rear of head
  5. top of 90 degree hose going to main water union
  6. hose clamp closest to bottom of thermostat coming from turbo water lines
  7. banjo bolt that bolts into the lower rear of thermostat housing
  8. bottom of 90 degree hose going to main water union connecting to main water pipe
  9. flange/gasket bolts directly to back of water pump/front timing cover connects main water pipe to thermostat
  10. 90 degree hose that always blows out and takes agessssss to even get to located behind thermostat connecting to main water pipe
  11. other side of 90 degree pipe connecting to bottom of thermostat
  12. lower radiator pipe connecting to front plate/timing cover

if you need anything explained more in detail i'll be happy to help out

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
scruffboy
walbro fp

Thumbs up Re: Diagram

Thanks for a very helpful diagram Suprra Girl. You are right about j., the 90 degree pipe, thats the one that just blew on me and yeah, its a bit*h to get to. I think my leak is somewhere in that thermostat "rear" housing. Its a small leak, not like I'm blowin steam all the time. Just a drip, but definitely annoying not knowing what it is. Everything is packed so tight, I'm going to a mechanic and sit in his office till he comes in and shows me where the leak is before I say, "Yeah, go ahead and do the work". Otherwise I'm sure I'll be told I need new water pump or some other expensive fix. I have an N/A so it should make things a little easier.

Thanks,

James in NJ
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

well good luck... you could print out that image and take it with ya and tell them it can only be one of those lol

just eliminate the ones going to the turbo... it will go from bottom of back of thermostat housing to top rather than two pipes coming out and going to a turbo

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Re: Coolant Leak

Dear Suprra Girl,

I do not have a Turbo. That should make it easier, huh?

James in NJ