Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
tordur
Stock

tordur is on a distinguished road
Question Msrp!

First of all, my compliments to this great forum, I have found a reasonable amount of useful information so far.

Cutting to business:
I?m looking into buying myself a fourth generation Supra, but since the taxes here are sumewhat insane it would come in handy if I knew what the car costed new, this based on the grounds that the tax on an imported car here is determined by the price for the vehicle new (without taxes). I believe the technical term for the figure I?m searching is "MSRP".

To dish up some examples for how high the taxes are, I imported a ?91 third generation fully modded Camaro Z28 Targa, which costed approx. $6.000 in purchasing and an additional $9.000 to $9.500 in taxes and registration fees etc. This was about 4 years ago. Two years ago i got myself a brand new Subaru Impreza 2,0 turbo WRX (Note: NOT the sti version) and this car costed somewhere in the region of $70.000 registered! And I have some more scary tax-examples, but will let those be for now, so I won?t anger myself too much

Oh well, we?re getting off topic here, so back to basics:
I want a 2JZ-GTE with targa roof (preferrably) but to determine which year I should be searching for it would be great to have a list of the MRSP! for the different years, so I could determine how big a difference in cost each individual year would end up with.

P.S. If i could get the stock price in Japan this would be awesome, since it presumably was a lot cheaper over there than in the states, UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Sum summarum:
Anyone know the price for the Supra new?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by tordur; 10-12-2007 at 10:23 AM.
tordur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tordur
First of all, my compliments to this great forum, I have found a reasonable amount of useful information so far.
Glad you've found it helpful.

Quote:
Cutting to business:
I?m looking into buying myself a fourth generation Supra, but since the taxes here are sumewhat insane it would come in handy if I knew what the car costed new, this based on the grounds that the tax on an imported car here is determined by the price for the vehicle new (without taxes). I believe the technical term for the figure I?m searching is "MSRP".

To dish up some examples for how high the taxes are, I imported a ?91 third generation fully modded Camaro Z28 Targa, which costed approx. $6.000 in purchasing and an additional $9.000 to $9.500 in taxes and registration fees etc. This was about 4 years ago. Two years ago i got myself a brand new Subaru Impreza 2,0 turbo WRX (Note: NOT the sti version) and this car costed somewhere in the region of $70.000 registered! And I have some more scary tax-examples, but will let those be for now, so I won?t anger myself too much

Oh well, we?re getting off topic here, so back to basics:
I want a 2JZ-GTE with targa roof (preferrably) but to determine which year I should be searching for it would be great to have a list of the MRSP! for the different years, so I could determine how big a difference in cost each individual year would end up with.

P.S. If i could get the stock price in Japan this would be awesome, since it presumably was a lot cheaper over there than in the states, UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Sum summarum:
Anyone know the price for the Supra new?

Thanks a lot
I paid about $45K USD for my Mkiv TT back in '94. The price ranged from about $41K (plus tag/title/insurance/delivery/etc. fees) all the way up to about $52K USD. Here's an original window sticker:
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/s...bo_sticker.jpg

Price went up in '95, so it's probably the most expensive year. Least expensive was '93 and '97, I believe.

All my info is US-based. I'd welcome postings by our fellow Supra buddies in other countries!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-14-2007 at 02:40 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
tordur
Stock

Default Thanks :)

Thanks a lot for the fast answering.

Huff, yeah, I was afraid the cost was that high. $45K new means about $20K in registration fees for me... Damn I hate this country I?m guessing I?ll have to choose a right hand drive vehicle directly from Japan, since the fee new in Japan is probably lower and thus the registration taxes will be more generous for my wallet

Maybe this is a question for another topic, but is it do-able converting a car from RHD to LHD for a low buck? And will this mess up the weight distribution of the car? or could some-one maybe post me a link for a topic concerning this?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Maybe this is a question for another topic, but is it do-able converting a car from RHD to LHD for a low buck? And will this mess up the weight distribution of the car? or could some-one maybe post me a link for a topic concerning this?
Since the Mkiv Supra (jza80 chassis) was available in either RHD or LHD, I believe the weight distribution would be fine IF you swap the correct parts. On the other hand, there's almost no significant work that you can do on the Mkiv Supra TT (except possibly "bpu") that could be considered "low buck", ime. Again, it's a $50K+ USD GT Sportscar. You'll find that parts for it pretty much reflect that profile.

Sure, it's doable to get all of the oem parts to do the conversion, either new or second-hand, but new parts aren't cheap (eg. the wiring harness alone, either rhd or lhd, is $800+USD from Toyota), and second-hand (used) parts are extremely hard to find due to the rarity of the car. Also, second-hand parts can be of questionable reliability, due to both mileage/useage AND possibly questionable care taken during the removal process. Back to the example of the wiring harness, the plastic clips tend to get somewhat brittle over time due to exposure to heat. Pins can get partially pulled out of the clips, and the wires themselves can break (completely inside of the insulation!) due to excessive stress or repeated flexing. Install a used wiring harness with any of these issues, and you're looking at a car with unpredictable/intermittent electrical issues.

Offhand, some of the parts you'd need are an entire dash assembly (this alone could run you $2K USD+), steering rack, primary wiring harness, front seats, pedals, clutch, brake, and power steering lines, cruise control assembly, console, and a-pillar moldings. Other forum members please feel free to post anything I've overlooked.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-15-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
tordur
Stock

Default ...

Hi again.

Once again, my sincerest thanks for the fast response. Great to see someone is taking their time reality checking a newbie on a forum this size

Anyway, everything costs, so it seems like I?ll have to purchase a RHD and just have to live with the steering wheel being on the wrong side... Well, that?s life... Since it?s a Supra, I believe it will be worth it

One more thing, here where I live, the only petrol available from the gas stations is unleaded octane 95... I remember this being a bit unlucky when I had my '06 WRX, since the manual clearly stated the car should only run on octane 98. Should this affect anything on which model-year I choose to purchase?

Last edited by tordur; 10-16-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...where I live, the only petrol available from the gas stations is unleaded octane 95... I remember this being a bit unlucky when I had my '06 WRX, since the manual clearly stated the car should only run on octane 98. Should this affect anything on which model-year I choose to purchase?
At oem boost levels (11.5psi) you'll be fine with 95, as long as the 95 is either motor octane or (r+m)/2. If 95 is the research octane, then you may have to drive out of your area to find some 'real' fuel to run it...

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
heywato
Stock

heywato is on a distinguished road

Tordur,

Being in Okinawa I have a 94 TT 6 speed Supra - the right hand drive is not hard to get used to. The car itself is far superior to anything I've driven before (including R32 and R33 GTR Skylines). I think you are making a wise choice purchasing the Supra - it sucks that you have to pay such a high price for taxes. I can look around here for MSRP tags - no promises. The language barrier is quite difficult. I bought mine for 11,800 USD used. I don't know how much they are new.
I'll let you know what I can find,

Victor
heywato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
tordur
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
At oem boost levels (11.5psi) you'll be fine with 95, as long as the 95 is either motor octane or (r+m)/2. If 95 is the research octane, then you may have to drive out of your area to find some 'real' fuel to run it...
Allright, great. I?ll check what kind it is, Thanks a lot And by the way, its not an option for me to "Drive out of my area" since I live on a group of Islands in the Nortern Atlantic Sea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywato
Being in Okinawa I have a 94 TT 6 speed Supra - the right hand drive is not hard to get used to. The car itself is far superior to anything I've driven before (including R32 and R33 GTR Skylines). I think you are making a wise choice purchasing the Supra - it sucks that you have to pay such a high price for taxes. I can look around here for MSRP tags - no promises. The language barrier is quite difficult. I bought mine for 11,800 USD used. I don't know how much they are new.
I'll let you know what I can find
Great, thanks a lot

I must once again comment on how extremily friendly you guys have been at helping me, thanks!

Last edited by tordur; 10-23-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
tordur
Stock

Default MSRP! Update

Hi again

Finally, after ploughing through the net, I found a site that offers extensive information on both retail and invoice cost of numerous vehicles new. Believe or not, but the site was http://autos.msn.com

The Supras are listed on http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...ta&model=Supra

Hopefully this can come in handy for anyone in the same situation as me.

Now all I have to do is find a similar site for cars in Japan.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hi again

Finally, after ploughing through the net, I found a site that offers extensive information on both retail and invoice cost of numerous vehicles new. Believe or not, but the site was http://autos.msn.com

The Supras are listed on http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...ta&model=Supra

Hopefully this can come in handy for anyone in the same situation as me.

Now all I have to do is find a similar site for cars in Japan.
Great find! Thanks for the post!