Thread: Msrp!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tordur
...Maybe this is a question for another topic, but is it do-able converting a car from RHD to LHD for a low buck? And will this mess up the weight distribution of the car? or could some-one maybe post me a link for a topic concerning this?
Since the Mkiv Supra (jza80 chassis) was available in either RHD or LHD, I believe the weight distribution would be fine IF you swap the correct parts. On the other hand, there's almost no significant work that you can do on the Mkiv Supra TT (except possibly "bpu") that could be considered "low buck", ime. Again, it's a $50K+ USD GT Sportscar. You'll find that parts for it pretty much reflect that profile.

Sure, it's doable to get all of the oem parts to do the conversion, either new or second-hand, but new parts aren't cheap (eg. the wiring harness alone, either rhd or lhd, is $800+USD from Toyota), and second-hand (used) parts are extremely hard to find due to the rarity of the car. Also, second-hand parts can be of questionable reliability, due to both mileage/useage AND possibly questionable care taken during the removal process. Back to the example of the wiring harness, the plastic clips tend to get somewhat brittle over time due to exposure to heat. Pins can get partially pulled out of the clips, and the wires themselves can break (completely inside of the insulation!) due to excessive stress or repeated flexing. Install a used wiring harness with any of these issues, and you're looking at a car with unpredictable/intermittent electrical issues.

Offhand, some of the parts you'd need are an entire dash assembly (this alone could run you $2K USD+), steering rack, primary wiring harness, front seats, pedals, clutch, brake, and power steering lines, cruise control assembly, console, and a-pillar moldings. Other forum members please feel free to post anything I've overlooked.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-15-2007 at 09:37 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote