Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
f8l edge
Stock

f8l edge is on a distinguished road
Default new to supras and i need help

im new to supras, iv been a scooby guy but i just found a supra for sale near me. its a 1994 NA supra w/ 127,400 miles for $15,500. heres his ad (This is a well taken care supra also is a florida car but it is now with a connecticut title,mantenance record abalable,no mecanical problems hiding just in case you think about it,it's got a new timing belt done on may new water pomp new radiator new power steering pomp oil chenge done every 2000 miles or 10 weeks witch ever came first . i love this baby but i can't injoy it anymore since my family is growing up and need more room it just won't be fare for me to be driving this baby around by my salfe and not with my kids and wife anymore.This is a clean title i put only 5000 miles on this car since i bout it this car has not been race or abused and out of 10 i give it a 8... Always garaged, Ice cold A/C, Maintenance records available, Looks & runs great) im in college so getting a TT Supra is out (caz of time and $) and getting a TT kit is out too. i was wondering how long i could expect the engine to last with average use, if this car is a good idea for a daily driver and how far i could expect this car to go (performance wise) with about $4G to spend. im talking bolt-ons or maby a single turbo kit. like i said im a scooby guy im also looking into a 2002 wrx for about $12,500 w/ 50,000 Miles. i could easily get 250 to 300 awhp w/ the $4Gs (AWD is very good in MA) not to mention the $ i save on buying the scooby. so wich car would win from a roll? the MODED supra or the MODED scooby? i know the supra is cooler but is the 2JZ-GE w/ 125,000 mi worth it?
f8l edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8l edge
im new to supras, iv been a scooby guy...
The cartoon? Subaru? SC300? SCion? Sorry drawing a blank here...
Quote:
...but i just found a supra for sale near me. its a 1994 NA supra w/ 127,400 miles for $15,500. heres his ad (This is a well taken care supra also is a florida car but it is now with a connecticut title,mantenance record abalable,no mecanical problems hiding just in case you think about it,it's got a new timing belt done on may new water pomp new radiator new power steering pomp oil chenge done every 2000 miles or 10 weeks witch ever came first . i love this baby but i can't injoy it anymore since my family is growing up and need more room it just won't be fare for me to be driving this baby around by my salfe and not with my kids and wife anymore.This is a clean title i put only 5000 miles on this car since i bout it this car has not been race or abused and out of 10 i give it a 8... Always garaged, Ice cold A/C, Maintenance records available, Looks & runs great) im in college so getting a TT Supra is out (caz of time and $)...
Don't underestimate yourself...
Quote:
...and getting a TT kit is out too....
What about a single turbo kit? Also, what exactly do you mean by "a TT kit"? Do you mean HKS parallel twins? Or oem Toyota sequential twins?
Quote:
...i was wondering how long i could expect the engine to last with average use...
If you keep it n/a, you drive it hard (but not like an idiot), and it's properly maintained, it'll last forever (200k miles+).
Quote:
...if this car is a good idea for a daily driver...
Yes, assuming the above
Quote:
...and how far i could expect this car to go (performance wise) with about $4G to spend....
If you're willing to install nitrous, then that's probably the best bang-for-your buck with such a limited budget. No way you're getting a turbo kit on it for that price, with all of the labor and additional requirements (eg ignition amplification, fuel, etc.).
Quote:
...im talking bolt-ons or maby a single turbo kit....
Again, nos will be your best bolt-on for a performance upgrade...however don't expect it to last 200k+ miles with nos, or a big single turbo either.
Quote:
...like i said im a scooby guy...
Still ????
Quote:
...im also looking into a 2002 wrx for about $12,500 w/ 50,000 Miles....
Even worse
Quote:
...i could easily get 250 to 300 awhp w/ the $4Gs (AWD is very good in MA) not to mention the $ i save on buying the scooby. so which car would win from a roll? the MODED supra or the MODED scooby?...
The Supra, of course (really doesn't matter what a "scooby" is).
Quote:
...i know the supra is cooler but is the 2JZ-GE w/ 125,000 mi worth it?
Yep.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
f8l edge
Stock

f8l edge is on a distinguished road

HA! sorry. SCOOBY=Subaru. iv had a couple and never had ne problems with them. well i think NOS is out, i was never a fan. cheap HP for no life on car is not a good trade off. i was talking norman bolt ons- intake, exhaust ext... and i donno about the race between moded wrx and moded supra. iv had a 03 Full Weight Subaru WRX with FMIC($1,200), sr 55 turbo($1,500), 3.5" exhaust($800), hi flow intake($150), Tune($500) and 101 unleaded fuel pull consistent mid 11's with in an internally stock 2.0L. best time was an 11.567 @ 122.2 MPH
f8l edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HA! sorry. SCOOBY=Subaru. iv had a couple and never had ne problems with them. well i think NOS is out, i was never a fan. cheap HP for no life on car is not a good trade off...
Agreed, but who told you that nos means "no life on car"? Sure, it won't last 200k miles with a big shot of nos, but properly tuned it can still be quite reliable. Properly tuned, nos is simply chemical-based forced induction.
Quote:
Quote:
i was talking norman bolt ons...
Norman? The golf player?
Quote:
Quote:
intake, exhaust ext... and i donno about the race between moded wrx and moded supra....
k. Fwiw, I do.
Quote:
Quote:
iv had a 03 Full Weight Subaru WRX with FMIC($1,200), sr 55 turbo($1,500), 3.5" exhaust($800), hi flow intake($150), Tune($500) and 101 unleaded fuel pull consistent mid 11's with in an internally stock 2.0L. best time was an 11.567 @ 122.2 MPH
Depends on mods, but exceeding that with a modded Mkiv Supra should be cake...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-10-2007 at 05:03 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote