Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94T88Widebody
Okay...I thimk we may be getting somewhere..... I hooked into the AEM .......no Engine RPM...

Would this be a good time to assume my CPS system has a problem...?
It's a good guess. It's possible your loose timing belt knocked off the 'toothed' crank position sensor gear (attached to the crankshaft's timing belt gear) when you ran with a broken tensioner bracket...

Can you post pictures of your engine bay?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:

All modifications were completed by Ryan Woon at WOTM. As of now I have no reason to doubt his desgn. His only recomendation to me was to run with race fuel as much as possible. Boost is as low as the controller will allow me to go.. roughly 16psi. Plugs are a 7 heat range NGK VPOWER
I know WOTM. And I know Ryan woom(not personally) he has a 8sec qtr mile silver supra with 1400rwhp. WOTM does some nice stuff. I saw some of their work at SEMA. Hey just out of curiousity, have they gotten that project evo done yet? Sorry for the off topic stuff.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
94GT47Widebody
Stock

94GT47Widebody is on a distinguished road

my web server is currently down so I can not post pics... I will have it up in a day or so and would be more than happy to post.

ok here is what I have found..

The belt istalled by me.. was riding very far back on the cam gears and main.. the caused the "indicator star" <-- not sure what to call it to be pushed off the back of the crank.

now my problem is..how do I get it back on.. it is currently spinning freely
94GT47Widebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
94GT47Widebody
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
I know WOTM. And I know Ryan woom(not personally) he has a 8sec qtr mile silver supra with 1400rwhp. WOTM does some nice stuff. I saw some of their work at SEMA. Hey just out of curiousity, have they gotten that project evo done yet? Sorry for the off topic stuff.
I know they tested the EVO at the track about a month back.. I am not sure if it is done yet. I have seent that car in person... It is a beautiful machien!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
my web server is currently down so I can not post pics... I will have it up in a day or so and would be more than happy to post.

ok here is what I have found..

The belt istalled by me.. was riding very far back on the cam gears and main.. the caused the "indicator star" <-- not sure what to call it to be pushed off the back of the crank.

now my problem is..how do I get it back on.. it is currently spinning freely
Your "indicator star" is actually a 'toothed' crank position sensor gear...and it is (normally) attached to the crankshaft's timing belt gear. To reattach it, you'll have to remove both your harmonic dampener and your timing belt gear from the crankshaft. The crank position sensor gear is only a press-fit onto the timing gear, and you can simply pop it back on. Many people use a chisel to 'dimple' the back of the gear slightly to ensure it doesn't pop off again ... and some guys I know have even had it welded in place. Another option would be a thin layer of jb-weld. Either way, when you're sure it's firmly attached to the crankshaft's timing gear again, you can reassemble everything.

Be sure to follow all the steps in the TSRM when you remove and replace the timing gear.

IF this corrects your ignition problem, I'd strongly recommend that we continue this thread until we figure out exactly how your sparkplug melted...and figure out what needs to be done to avoid this in the future.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-08-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #16
94GT47Widebody
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
To reattach it, you'll have to remove both your harmonic dampener and your timing belt gear from the crankshaft. The crank position sensor gear is only a press-fit onto the timing gear, and you can simply pop it back on.
I pulled the balancer.. not sure how to get the timing belt gear off...??!!?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I pulled the balancer.. not sure how to get the timing belt gear off...??!!?
Are you working with a copy of the TSRM? If I recall correctly, you'll need two very long, small ('M6' size?) bolts that screw into holes in the timing gear...with those long bolts you can use a standard puller.

Again, I'm not sure the thickness of the threaded bolts ('M6' is what I would guess), but it's the same as all of the other bolts & studs on the car that have a 10mm nut. I'd estimate the length of the two bolts you need to be about 3 or maybe even 4 inches. One time when I did this job, I used four of the studs & nuts that you'll find holding down your valve covers on the inside corners. (I had these four spares laying around), and I welded each pair of them together, end-to-end. That made them long enough to do the job.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-08-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

and a nice easy way to put it

if ya got a melted spark plug... i can gaurantee you have melted pistons = bad compression = bad running = tear down time

experienced this 3 times on one engine unfortunately

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:

and a nice easy way to put it

if ya got a melted spark plug... i can gaurantee you have melted pistons = bad compression = bad running = tear down time

experienced this 3 times on one engine unfortunately
I beleive he said earlier that he already checked compression and it checked out fine.
Quote:
I checked this in the begining... I have 100 -120 psi depending on wich cyinder
This is what he said.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:54 AM   #20
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend getting (borrow) a 'boroscope' to look at the piston.