Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
normalsalaryman
Stock

normalsalaryman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
you're right - a BCC is only needed with the oem 2jz-gte ecu. Still, my other BPU advice still applies - you need a downpipe (bypassing the catalytic converters), a boost gauge, and a boost controller long before you need to spend money on a big intercooler or a huge 4"+ aftermarket exhaust...

500rwhp is not really a cost-effective point for the 2jz-gte. you could do:

- 350rwhp on pump gas, using the oem twins
...(if you're very careful about controlling boost precisely)
- 425rwhp on race fuel or alcohol, using the oem twins

- 475rwhp on pump gas, using a moderate size single turbo, & fuel system
...(if you're very careful about controlling boost precisely)
- 650rwhp or so on race fuel or alcohol, using a moderate size single turbo & fuel system

for the 2jz-gte, those are your most cost effective points

oh, note that avgas is not the same as race fuel. avgas is aviation fuel, which is chemically engineered to run best at higher altitudes. it has the wrong % of long-chain hydrocarbons to effectively power a turbocharged car engine at ground level.
talking about Avgas been wondering if you know much about that stuff, most of the people backhome has been saying avgas has same number of octane as the vp, BUT i did try once it does no different in term of acceleration, but my engine temperature is raising rapidly..almost twice hotter than a vp fuel. and somehow my idle is higher than normal it does when im running on vp fuel...on an NA engine

i dont know if avgas act like that or if you ever try and experience different..
normalsalaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalsalaryman View Post
talking about Avgas been wondering if you know much about that stuff, most of the people backhome has been saying avgas has same number of octane as the vp, BUT i did try once it does no different in term of acceleration, but my engine temperature is raising rapidly..almost twice hotter than a vp fuel. and somehow my idle is higher than normal it does when im running on vp fuel...on an NA engine

i dont know if avgas act like that or if you ever try and experience different..
Yep that's consistent. The very cold air in high altitudes is also a factor in how avgas is formulated. Please stick with VP fuel or methanol injection or E85 to eliminate detonation when using the 2jz-gte at high boost.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-06-2013 at 09:18 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

Sorry for taking long to replay my internet was off.
People here use the w58 boks to drag with because the v160 is so scares and expensive. It will handle the 500hp but it depends on your driving if you drive hard it, won't last long.

If you can use the oem ecu its much better then an aftermarket one.
Aftermarket ecu take a lot of tuning to get perfect.
On the exhaust side you don't have a choice so you're doing an engine swap into another car so you need to get an exhaust made up for you wile you busy do it from the downpipe.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
normalsalaryman
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmkop View Post
People here use the w58 boks to drag with because the v160 is so scares and expensive. It will handle the 500hp but it depends on your driving if you drive hard it, won't last long.
wait i kinda dont get what you mean by driving it hard, hard as in throwing the gear change lik roughly or under hard acceleration but gentle gear shift?.

cus i was planing to daily my car, and most probably i will drive the car like full acceleration(not from dead stop) most of the time,but since im a gentle shifter guy so i wont be thrasing on shifting...will that consider as hard driving?

and ya since i only have engine+tranny+ecu and wiring only when i bought the engine, so i will definitely do a custom upgraded full exhaust system, big intercooler,custom pipping and upgraded radiator, since the old car had a busted radiator and busted suspension. but i will definitely do a general inspection on the engine internal including the gearbox too..

even most of the stuff is custom made and temporarily targeting at 500hp as the entrance power, we're building all he thing to a 1000hp standart equipment in mind, so once i found the v160 box i can just fit the new boxs and big turbo and bam here we go 1000hp car without having to replace the other part first, before i can achieve 1000hp fix this and that, so its like one way build like 1000hp standart equipment but instead of big turbo i went with oem turbo while waiting for the v160boxs.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

Yes like snap changing gears and spinning on purpose then it just matter of time until something breaks. But like you said driving normal it should last but yes it also depends on the condition of the boks. I have seen people race a lot of events on a box and the next box will just break.So it depend on the condition of boks and what condition you put it through

1000hp is not that easy and it is very expensive
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
normalsalaryman
Stock

i know 1000hp would be expensive, but i think im covered for that lol...i guess till i have v160 in my hand, i'll stick to around 500 for now....

i do curious how long will the refrshed w58gbox will last.since i got to live with it for a moment..i do hope it doesnt as weak as people on the other forum has been saying*finger.cross.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...and ya since i only have engine+tranny+ecu and wiring only when i bought the engine, so i will definitely do a custom upgraded full exhaust system, big intercooler,custom pipping and upgraded radiator...
A big intercooler will introduce a LOT of extra lag at the ~500rwhp level. Think about all that extra volume of air that needs to get compressed, with those very small oem twin turbos, before you begin to make boost.
Quote:
...even most of the stuff is custom made and temporarily targeting at 500hp as the entrance power...
Quote:
...i guess till i have v160 in my hand, i'll stick to around 500 for now...
Again, 500rwhp isn't a cost-effective point for the 2jz-gte.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote