Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #31
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
Wow thats an insane amount of great information! Thanks a ton! Maybe I will run a full tank of race gas a see how it feels Also, if you do run race gas even if its only 5 gallons, do you need to get your car tuned for it? Or can you just dump it in and drive?
Please keep in mind the power comes from the boost, and not from the octane. The additional octane is only there to prevent detonation.

No need for re-tuning when adding race fuel. It burns like regular gasoline, because it is regular gasoline - just gasoline with a high octane. However, if you were to (for example) dump methanol into your gas tank, that would require re-tuning.

Just dump it in and drive.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road

Ok sweet Im going to have to put in a full tank of race fuel and feel the power

One last thing about octane and boost, when I run my methanol injection kit with 93 octane gas in my tank, about what octane will my fuel be? Like on your chart you posted, how much boost would I be able to run?
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok sweet Im going to have to put in a full tank of race fuel and feel the power

One last thing about octane and boost, when I run my methanol injection kit with 93 octane gas in my tank, about what octane will my fuel be? Like on your chart you posted, how much boost would I be able to run?
I'll assume this is the kit you're planning to run:
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

I'll also assume you're planning to run EITHER:
- A 50-50 mix of pure Torco methanol and distilled water
..-OR-
- Snow Performance "Boost Juice"

HOWEVER, even knowing those variables, all I can do is give you a decent guess. My best guess is that you'll be fine up to about 22psi...which is about a 'net' 100 MON. Please only take this as a rough estimate, and carefully tune your max boost with the methanol kit, ideally using data logging from your knock sensors. When you figure out the exact answer, please post back here - I'm very curious!

Lastly, I'd also recommend you mix something like this with the methanol+water:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=84&pcid=12
OR
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index.h...duct&ID=349107
OR
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...catid=2&iid=26

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-13-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #34
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Yepp thats the kit I'm running and I will be running Boost Juice.

So Would 25lbs be out of the question? Why should I add those to my tank?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #35
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yepp thats the kit I'm running and I will be running Boost Juice.

So Would 25lbs be out of the question? Why should I add those to my tank?
25psi may be possible but I wouldn't start there. I'd suggest starting your tuning process at 15psi, be sure your methanol is spraying, and go up from there one or two psi at a time while checking your knock sensors on each run. You should also tie the methanol kit's low-level sensor in the methanol tank into your ecu/piggyback/etc. if possible - to (for example) auto limit boost or auto retard timing when the methanol runs out.

The upper cylinder lubes are to help protect the injectors and upper cylinder/head components from the potentially harsh/corrosive effects of methanol.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #36
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Again, if you don't mind me asking, why waterless? A water-cooled turbo is significantly more reliable. The penny-pinching Toyota accountants wouldn't have allowed water-cooled oem twins if it wasn't fiscally beneficial.

1) Why didn't you get a complete fuel system? Those injectors are useless without all of the extra plumbing, pumps, fittings, relays, wiring, brackets, etc.
2) You don't need an AEM to run only 650rwhp.
3) If you're getting an AEM 100% for sure (for whatever reason), then get it installed and running perfectly with the oem twins first. Then put on the 100% complete fuel system and get that working with the AEM. After that put on the turbo kit. If you make all of the changes at once, among other things troubleshooting will be a nightmare.

You can run 650rwhp just fine with the oem maf and a simple 'piggyback' fuel controller. If anything, there's too much on your list already, other than the need for wider rims and tires to handle the additional horsepower (unless you want to just sit there spinning instead of going fast). Oh, the oem clutch won't handle 650rwhp. Let me know if you have any questions about clutch upgrades.
I just purchased the Sound Performance fuel system with the 255 dual walbro pumps and 880cc injectors and I was just wondering about how much power my setup will be able to handle. Also, will a Greddy 3 row intercooler be able to handle 700whp or will i need to upgrade it?. Last and final question, how do you calculate how much boost you can run on pump gas safely?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I just purchased the Sound Performance fuel system with the 255 dual walbro pumps and 880cc injectors and I was just wondering about how much power my setup will be able to handle. Also, will a Greddy 3 row intercooler be able to handle 700whp or will i need to upgrade it?. Last and final question, how do you calculate how much boost you can run on pump gas safely?
These injectors will be good for at least 850rwhp (6spd), with proper tuning. Your GReddy 3-row will handle 700rwhp (6spd) just fine.

Although you can't easily calculate precisely how much boost you can run with a given octane of gasoline, you can get 'in the ballpark' ... after that, it's best to use data logging of your knock sensors to determine the real number. Also recall that octane degrades over time, so you can run more boost with fresh fuel than you can with fuel that's six months old. The real calculations use difficult-to-collect data points like cylinder pressure and the temperature of the metal in the spark plug.

Please take a look at this post (above) for a set of approximate boost-to-octane ratios:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/102902-post29.html
In that chart, you see that pump gas is only 88MON, which is only good for about 15psi. Of course, you'll get more power at 15psi with a 700rwhp turbo than you will with the stock twins. However, above 15psi you need to use the data from your knock sensors to ensure you're not damaging your engine. The only other alternative is to keep raising boost until you blow up an engine (or significantly reduce it's compression/leakdown numbers), and then next time (and $4000 later, including parts and labor) don't run that much boost.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #38
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

I have been hearing a lot about people putting heat blankets on their turbos, would you recommend doing something like this?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #39
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I have been hearing a lot about people putting heat blankets on their turbos, would you recommend doing something like this?
yes, it helps protect the other engine components from the heat (including/especially the intake)

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Since I am upgrading to a single turbo and will probley be running around 700-750whp, should I buy a Intake Manifold? Also, should I increase my rpm limit to lets say 7500 or is it fine for where its at?