View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
I just purchased the Sound Performance fuel system with the 255 dual walbro pumps and 880cc injectors and I was just wondering about how much power my setup will be able to handle. Also, will a Greddy 3 row intercooler be able to handle 700whp or will i need to upgrade it?. Last and final question, how do you calculate how much boost you can run on pump gas safely?
These injectors will be good for at least 850rwhp (6spd), with proper tuning. Your GReddy 3-row will handle 700rwhp (6spd) just fine.

Although you can't easily calculate precisely how much boost you can run with a given octane of gasoline, you can get 'in the ballpark' ... after that, it's best to use data logging of your knock sensors to determine the real number. Also recall that octane degrades over time, so you can run more boost with fresh fuel than you can with fuel that's six months old. The real calculations use difficult-to-collect data points like cylinder pressure and the temperature of the metal in the spark plug.

Please take a look at this post (above) for a set of approximate boost-to-octane ratios:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/102902-post29.html
In that chart, you see that pump gas is only 88MON, which is only good for about 15psi. Of course, you'll get more power at 15psi with a 700rwhp turbo than you will with the stock twins. However, above 15psi you need to use the data from your knock sensors to ensure you're not damaging your engine. The only other alternative is to keep raising boost until you blow up an engine (or significantly reduce it's compression/leakdown numbers), and then next time (and $4000 later, including parts and labor) don't run that much boost.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote