Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road

When I purchased the car, it already had new injectors installed.

I guess the reason I wanted that turbo was because of the quick spool valve. I already have the AEM Fuel Management System I didn't realize I didn't have to get a standalone for 650whp. I am currently running a Southbend Stage 3 clutch.

So then if I want to do 650whp, should I go with a 67mm turbo then like in the kit you sent me?
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...93-98_Supra/28

With that kit I will have to also buy a full fuel system then? Can you send me a link to a good system along with anything else I might need?
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
When I purchased the car, it already had new injectors installed…

Does it also have a second fuel pump and additional fuel line installed too?
Quote:
I guess the reason I wanted that turbo was because of the quick spool valve…
Okay but you can do water lines AND a quick spool valve too…
Quote:
I already have the AEM Fuel Management System I didn't realize I didn't have to get a standalone for 650whp…
Then why not sell it? Your best overall driveability will be if you stay with the oem ecu.
Quote:
I am currently running a Southbend Stage 3 clutch…
Okay, but what is the width of your rear rims?
Quote:
So then if I want to do 650whp, should I go with a 67mm turbo then like in the kit you sent me? …
Yes – any turbo around that size will give you the performance you’re looking for, and you won’t have to max out the boost to get it…which means your meth kit will work fine to suppress the detonation. I’d advise you to talk with the guys at Sound Performance – you can probably get a more ‘cutting edge’ GTX whiz-bang quad ball bearing with 17 unobtanium turbine blades, etc. but you’ll pay a premium for it. The 67mm is a solid, cost-effective way to get the performance+boost level characteristics you’re looking for.
Quote:
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Turbo_Kit_67mm_93-98_Supra/28
With that kit I will have to also buy a full fuel system then? …
Probably not, but I need to know more about exactly what is installed in your car right now.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

As far as I know, it just has fuel injectors and a fuel rail upgrade. So should I just buy the fuel system kit from Sound Performance?

Ok so I will give them a call about a 67mm turbo kit that has the most up to date parts and I will probley just keep the fuel management then to avoid spending 2k more lol. I will have to get back to you on tire width I forget how wide I got but I know I got the widest I could fit.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
As far as I know, it just has fuel injectors and a fuel rail upgrade. So should I just buy the fuel system kit from Sound Performance?...
That's one option, but it'd be a huge waste if you already have a second fuel pump. Can you verify? Just pull the fuel tank cover under the spare tire, and shoot us a photo.

Quote:
Ok so I will give them a call about a 67mm turbo kit that has the most up to date parts and I will probley just keep the fuel management then to avoid spending 2k more lol. I will have to get back to you on tire width I forget how wide I got but I know I got the widest I could fit.
I hope so. An 11.5" wide rim with 315s fit under the oem fenders without too much trouble at all.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

I will take a picture once I get home from the Kentucky Derby but if I don't have a second fuel pump, would I just have to install a second pump instead of buying a fuel system? What else I guess would I need to be able to run 650whp through 750cc injectors and fuel rail?

I will let you know as well what size tires and rims I have once I get home. But all together does the 67mm turbo kit from Sound Performace look like a good choice to go with then? If so, what a/r should I go with? .68 or .81?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I will take a picture once I get home from the Kentucky Derby but if I don't have a second fuel pump, would I just have to install a second pump instead of buying a fuel system? What else I guess would I need to be able to run 650whp through 750cc injectors and fuel rail?
No there's more to it including a new fuel line, secondary fuel filter, relay, wiring, etc., etc. No worries, I'll get you through all of it.

Quote:
I will let you know as well what size tires and rims I have once I get home. But all together does the 67mm turbo kit from Sound Performace look like a good choice to go with then? If so, what a/r should I go with? .68 or .81?
To be conservative, I'd recommend the .81 a/r. It'll allow you to control boost spikes more consistently. Again, it's better to be safe than sorry - slightly slower spool-up is better than a blown engine.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #17
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Ok so I will problem look at getting that kit soon with the .81 a/r. How big of a difference will it be spooling wise compared to the .68 and also any idea at about what rpm the .81 will spool at?

So when I find out about the fuel pump and other lines etc. we can go from there then? Or based on what I told you any idea what I might start looking at purchasing?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so I will problem look at getting that kit soon with the .81 a/r. How big of a difference will it be spooling wise compared to the .68 and also any idea at about what rpm the .81 will spool at?
Just a guess: the .68 a/r will spool at about 3800 rpm, and the .81 a/r will spool at about 4100 rpm. Ask Sound Performance to verify this prior to the purchase.

Quote:
So when I find out about the fuel pump and other lines etc. we can go from there then? Or based on what I told you any idea what I might start looking at purchasing?
Step 1 we need to get your fuel system right. Please remove the spare tank cover and post photo(s). One step at a time - we'll do it all properly and plan a rock-solid upgrade path for you.

Are you going to install your AEM, or sell it and go with a simple 'piggyback' fuel controller? If you're going to sell the AEM, you can start this step in parallel. Again, here's a link to a good fuel controller that will get you to 650rwhp (6spd) no problem:
http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/...s/afc-neo.html
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...926&SearchYN=N

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-08-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

I just placed the order for the turbo kit from sound performance for the 67mm turbo kit with the .81 ar and a quick spool valve to match.

I also took a look and had the shop my car is currently at verify but there is no secondary fuel pump just the fuel injectors and fuel rail. So should I go on ahead and buy a walbaro 255 fuel pump?

So then will my AEM Fuel Management not be enough and I will have to either go with the Apexi or full standalone?

Last edited by fastsupra; 05-08-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...I also took a look and had the shop my car is currently at verify but there is no secondary fuel pump just the fuel injectors and fuel rail. So should I go on ahead and buy a walbaro 255 fuel pump?
Please do not buy a fuel pump. Again, you need a complete fuel system, so please do not peace-meal it together one component at a time. You'll need lots of fittings, electronics, mounting bracket, regulator(?), hoses, etc., etc. I need to know a lot more before we can decide what to do. Could you post some pictures of your engine bay? Also, could you post some pictures of exactly how your current fuel rail is plumbed?

Honestly the easiest thing to do would be to get an entire fuel system from Sound Performance, and then ask them if they can delete the fuel rail and injectors for a reduced price. This still isn't a perfect solution because we don't know exactly what size & thread fittings go into your fuel rail. Even easier would be for you to remove your current fuel rail and injectors, sell them, and then put in the entire Sound Performance fuel system, front-to-back. However, that's probably not the most cost-effective...so let me know your tolerance for work/rework and cost and we'll figure out exactly what to do.

Quote:
...So then will my AEM Fuel Management not be enough and I will have to either go with the Apexi or full standalone?
Please send me information on the AEM "Fuel Management" unit that you have. A link to the AEM website is fine.