Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Just to be clear, tires are absolutely critical for all situations - they're the only thing connecting you to the road. Just because the Mkiv TT might not get driven to its max at track events, does not also mean that the owner doesn't want that exact same performance level available to him/her in an emergency. My point was mainly about the rims - to me, there's nothing wrong (functionally speaking) with 17" rims, and 9.5" wide is enough to handle most situations for near-oem horsepower levels. The tires however, are a different matter. Stick to oem-spec z-rated tires, and at least oem widths. Please let me know if you'd like specific brand recommendations.
i have had cheaper tires on my supra for years and they performed very well and didn't cost me an arm an a leg, I don't agree with you on this one, tires are important but if you using it as a daily drive you don't need a high end set of track tires for the street that would just be throwing you money away. I run a $100 front and $100 rear tire on my turbo hayabusa made by shinko, a cheap brand and it's the best tire i've i've ever used on that bike and thats a 260hp machine. That bike will do over 200 mph and thats on a cheap tire, sometimes the cheap can be a diamond in the rough, just my opinnion though.
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Which BFG tires?
  • BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Tires
?????
Bee-tee-dubz, running mismatched tires can be dangerous.
i will have to check for you, you seem to find negativity in anything someone posts phil, i understand mismatches tires are not always the best situation, but i just purchased the car, i didnt have a choice, i was just happy to have to very good wheels on the back,

Last edited by Codyjamesuno; 12-19-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
i have had cheaper tires on my supra for years and they performed very well and didn't cost me an arm an a leg, I don't agree with you on this one, tires are important but if you using it as a daily drive you don't need a high end set of track tires for the street that would just be throwing you money away. I run a $100 front and $100 rear tire on my turbo hayabusa made by shinko, a cheap brand and it's the best tire i've i've ever used on that bike and thats a 260hp machine. That bike will do over 200 mph and thats on a cheap tire, sometimes the cheap can be a diamond in the rough, just my opinnion though.
Why cripple the performance of a $50,000+ GT sportscar (yes, that's what the Mkiv Supra Turbo is) by putting crappy tires on it? If you want a car that performs like a Corolla, don't buy a Supra Turbo and disconnect it from the road. The oem specs call for z-rated tires, just like it calls for 10W-30 oil. If you can't afford to buy proper tires for the car, don't buy it.

That said, please don't confuse crappy tires with cheap tires. Sometimes cheap tires can be very high performing - but (for example) the compound is so soft they wear out quickly (meaning you'll have to change them more often, which ultimately results in more $ spent on the tires over time). ...or perhaps you get a great deal on some slightly used Pirelli's from a buddy. Either way is fine, as long as the tires are oem spec or better.

If you still disagree, then let's agree to disagree. I have safety and performance in mind, and I don't want to risk the lives of our forum members by condoning the use of substandard tires. If you want to stick to this argument, then let's continue it privately.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree. I never get it when people put "crappy" tires on any vehicle. It's doesn't have to be a Supra nor a sports car. I always tell people, I don't care if you drive like a grandma, to put good tires on their vehicles; I don't care what kind of vehicle. You have to think about this.....it's your life and possibly other lives around you. Is it worth it to save a couple of hundred of dollars? The contact point, rubber to road, per tire, is probably about and inch or so.......so, don't go with crappy tires. Notice I agree and didn't say cheap. You can find deals all over the place, just don't go with crap. I tell people, when you need to stop in an emergency do you really want a crappy tire that is going to stop the car in say 80 ft. rather than 50 ft. And on the flip side, if you need to accelerate to get out of a potential accident.....do you really want those crappy tires to just sit there and spin? Just my $.02.
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i will have to check for you, you seem to find negativity in anything someone posts phil, i understand mismatches tires are not always the best situation, but i just purchased the car, i didnt have a choice, i was just happy to have to very good wheels on the back,
There are extreme differences in those different types of BFG tires, and some of those differences may explain your wheelspin.

Also, please be certain: it's not negativity - I'm trying to keep you alive, my friend...and your Supra in one piece too. With all of the misinformation floating around on the internet, as well as the vast differences in mechanical, driving, and automotive design experience of folks modifying their own cars, there are literally thousands of ways to do it dangerously wrong, and far fewer ways to do it right. $ don't save you either - you can spend a lot of $ and still get it completely wrong. If I make myself look like a complete d*ck to someone but save his/her life in the process, ...or save the life of someone else that is reading that forum, ....then to me the tradeoff is well worth it. Again, I'm definitely not trying to be negative, but there's no way I can avoid coming across as black-and-white critical when I learn of someone misinforming another forum member, or performing a modification that I know for sure is either dangerous or will definitely compromise the reliability of a Supra. In other words, I work hard to be crystal-clear and extremely specific about the advice I offer, look at each post from as many angles as is practical - and I take that all very, very seriously. I can offer my apologies for coming across as hard-nosed, critical, or even negative, but my apologies would be a bit hollow since I can't and won't shrink from my role of keeping this forum on the straight-and-narrow...so I guess that means maybe I shouldn't really apologize since I'm not intending to change? *shrug* Either way, I hope you now understand a bit more about where I'm coming from and why I respond the way that I do.

I do appreciate your posts, and the posts of all of the other members on this forum. Please accept my sincere wishes for a happy holiday season this winter.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-22-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
There are extreme differences in those different types of BFG tires, and some of those differences may explain your wheelspin.

Also, please be certain: it's not negativity - I'm trying to keep you alive, my friend...and your Supra in one piece too. With all of the misinformation floating around on the internet, as well as the vast differences in mechanical, driving, and automotive design experience of folks modifying their own cars, there are literally thousands of ways to do it dangerously wrong, and far fewer ways to do it right. $ don't save you either - you can spend a lot of $ and still get it completely wrong. If I make myself look like a complete d*ck to someone but save his/her life in the process, ...or save the life of someone else that is reading that forum, ....then to me the tradeoff is well worth it. Again, I'm definitely not trying to be negative, but there's no way I can avoid coming across as black-and-white critical when I learn of someone misinforming another forum member, or performing a modification that I know for sure is either dangerous or will definitely compromise the reliability of a Supra. In other words, I work hard to be crystal-clear and extremely specific about the advice I offer, look at each post from as many angles as is practical - and I take that all very, very seriously. I can offer my apologies for coming across as hard-nosed, critical, or even negative, but my apologies would be a bit hollow since I can't and won't shrink from my role of keeping this forum on the straight-and-narrow...so I guess that means maybe I shouldn't really apologize since I'm not intending to change? *shrug* Either way, I hope you now understand a bit more about where I'm coming from and why I respond the way that I do.

I do appreciate your posts, and the posts of all of the other members on this forum. Please accept my sincere wishes for a happy holiday season this winter.

the tires on the rear are .......BFG 275/35 ZR18 G-Force Sport

the tires on the front are.......Michelin 235/40 ZR18 Pilot Sport

I under stand there is a difference in a cheap tire and a crappy tire, I am suggesting the guy buy a cheaper tire, not a crappy tire. That's all.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...I under stand there is a difference in a cheap tire and a crappy tire, I am suggesting the guy buy a cheaper tire, not a crappy tire. That's all.
Ok - as long as the "cheaper tire" meets or exceeds oem specs.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
the tires on the rear are .......BFG 275/35 ZR18 G-Force Sport

the tires on the front are.......Michelin 235/40 ZR18 Pilot Sport...
Michelin doesn't sell regular Pilot Sports any more. Are they PS2s? Pilot Super Sports? ...or ZPs or PS2 ZPs? Also, are the G-Force Sports 'regular', or super sports?

Assuming we're talking about regular PS2s vs. regular g-Force Sports, the PS2 is a *much* better tire. Although running mismatched tires is far from ideal, you should be able to make due in most relatively dry road conditions by driving very conservatively. Please consider staying out of the rain, since this is where the mismatched tread pattern will cause the most problems.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-24-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #19
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Michelin doesn't sell regular Pilot Sports any more. Are they PS2s? Pilot Super Sports? ...or ZPs or PS2 ZPs? Also, are the G-Force Sports 'regular', or super sports?

Assuming we're talking about regular PS2s vs. regular g-Force Sports, the PS2 is a *much* better tire. Although running mismatched tires is far from ideal, you should be able to make due in most relatively dry road conditions by driving very conservatively. Please consider staying out of the rain, since this is where the mismatched tread pattern will cause the most problems.
my car will never see the rain, nor will it really ever see aggressive driving, i am past that stage in my life & I don't need to drive like that to enjoy the ride!
I get a rush just being in the damn thing!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
my car will never see the rain, nor will it really ever see aggressive driving, i am past that stage in my life & I don't need to drive like that to enjoy the ride!
I get a rush just being in the damn thing!
Just for fun, I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. Earlier you said: "I run 275's on the rear..., they still spin out on me..." If you're spinning out your rear tires, some might call that aggressive driving...

That minor point aside, you might try running with a slightly lower tire pressure on the rear (eg. 32psi). Not sure how much horsepower you're running, but if you still spin out with good tires and a moderate tire pressure, perhaps it's time to get some wider rims?