Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
redsupra
Stock

redsupra is on a distinguished road
Default Rims

Now that the beast is running better I want to upgrade the rims and get new tyres.

This is a '93 Jap import, auto, TT, lowered suspension with stock 17" rims 235 front, 255 rear.

Questions before I go speaking to some noob at the local store who knows crap all about Supras and tries to sell me the wrong thing.

What are the general tyre specs I should be looking for in width, profile, size? (comments on 18" vs 19"?)

What offset should I get (and what does this affect)?
Min/max rim width?

Any other info that is good to know.

Grateful for any help.
redsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road

I run 275's on the rear & 235's on the front, they are 18 inch wheels, they seem to work fine for me but till spin out on me!
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsupra View Post
Now that the beast is running better I want to upgrade the rims and get new tyres.

This is a '93 Jap import, auto, TT, lowered suspension with stock 17" rims 235 front, 255 rear.

Questions before I go speaking to some noob at the local store who knows crap all about Supras and tries to sell me the wrong thing.

What are the general tyre specs I should be looking for in width, profile, size? (comments on 18" vs 19"?)

What offset should I get (and what does this affect)?
Min/max rim width?

Any other info that is good to know.

Grateful for any help.
Your questions can't be answered until we understand BOTH your ultimate horsepower goals, AND your application (roadrace, drag race, autocross, drifting, street racing, daily driving, show-car only, etc., etc.)

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
I run 275's on the rear & 235's on the front, they are 18 inch wheels, they seem to work fine for me but till spin out on me!
Which tires are you running, exactly?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
redsupra
Stock

redsupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Your questions can't be answered until we understand BOTH your ultimate horsepower goals, AND your application (roadrace, drag race, autocross, drifting, street racing, daily driving, show-car only, etc., etc.)
I don't need any more HP than what it has now (got a renovation sucking money out of my pocket already!!). So it has what it came with originally.

Pretty much daily driving.
redsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Pretty much daily driving.
I hope you don't mind what you might think is a dumb question, but here goes: Why not stick with the oem 17" rims? Those rims and tire widths do just fine for daily driving.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Which tires are you running, exactly?

the rear's are BFG 275/35/18 ZR & the fronts are Michelin 235/40/18 ZR, Back are bran new but the front are about half worn, they seem to work good for me, surface is cold here now so nothing sticks just spins. I just got the lowering springs installed today, so far I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	4425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	4426  
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
I don't need any more HP than what it has now (got a renovation sucking money out of my pocket already!!). So it has what it came with originally.

Pretty much daily driving.

I would sink a lot of cash into a tire if it's just a daily driver. These guys are right, kind of wasting your money if you buy $$$ wheels & tires, especially performance wheels & tires if your not going to drive it like a race car. I had some cheaper ones on my 1987 supra, think they we Nakang or something, they were great tires and fairly cheap to.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I would sink a lot of cash into a tire if it's just a daily driver. These guys are right, kind of wasting your money if you buy $$$ wheels & tires, especially performance wheels & tires if your not going to drive it like a race car. I had some cheaper ones on my 1987 supra, think they we Nakang or something, they were great tires and fairly cheap to.
Just to be clear, tires are absolutely critical for all situations - they're the only thing connecting you to the road. Just because the Mkiv TT might not get driven to its max at track events, does not also mean that the owner doesn't want that exact same performance level available to him/her in an emergency. My point was mainly about the rims - to me, there's nothing wrong (functionally speaking) with 17" rims, and 9.5" wide is enough to handle most situations for near-oem horsepower levels. The tires however, are a different matter. Stick to oem-spec z-rated tires, and at least oem widths. Please let me know if you'd like specific brand recommendations.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
the rear's are BFG 275/35/18 ZR & the fronts are Michelin 235/40/18 ZR, Back are bran new but the front are about half worn, they seem to work good for me, surface is cold here now so nothing sticks just spins. I just got the lowering springs installed today, so far I love it!

Which BFG tires?
  • BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S Tires
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Tires
?????
Bee-tee-dubz, running mismatched tires can be dangerous.