Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMD View Post
hey just read the thread, im new here and don't know if its too late but is it possible to put the two stock turbos from a 2jz-gte onto a n/a engine, as i have just bought a 94 supra and it would be good if i could do that. So is it possible and what kind of work would need to be done?
Nope, the manifold the oem twins mount on doesn't fit the 2jz-ge head. In theory I guess it's possible with a ton of custom fab work (weeks and weeks, and thousands of dollars - really!), but it definitely isn't practical.

Your only practical options are:
1) Sell your n/a and get a true Mkiv TT (this is by far your best option, since you get all the braking power, suspension, and bulletproof drivetrain of the TT - not just the turbos).
2) Put a complete n/a-T kit on your n/a (which upgrades your turbos, your fuel system, head gasket, head studs, and your ignition). After that, you'll have to figure out how to upgrade your braking system (calipers&rotors, bmc, abs system, etc), suspension, transmission and and differential...when all priced out with labor will cost you more than the difference between a used TT and a used n/a.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-16-2011 at 01:41 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

In my opinion singe turbo is cheaper and if you go full out makes a good drag motor, twins are more expensive and more suited for like auto cross and street
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
BradMD
Stock

BradMD is on a distinguished road

well i already got an N/A and it was a lot cheaper then a TT, I want to get around 500/550hp out of the engine. What would need to be done and how much do you guys think it would cost. And have any of you done this with your car, what size turbo are you using, how much power , how much did it cost you?
BradMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
well i already got an N/A and it was a lot cheaper then a TT, I want to get around 500/550hp out of the engine. What would need to be done and how much do you guys think it would cost. And have any of you done this with your car, what size turbo are you using, how much power , how much did it cost you?
What do you think of the na-T kit I linked to in my post above?

What are you planning to do with that 550hp? Drag race? Road race? Autocross? Drifting? Top speed? Highway races from a roll? ...just curious.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
In my opinion singe turbo is cheaper and if you go full out makes a good drag motor, twins are more expensive and more suited for like auto cross and street
Do you mean sequential twins, or parallel twins?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

I think sequential is more practical for like road racing auto cross and street, a parallel system is for like highway rolling starts and drag
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
I think sequential is more practical for like road racing auto cross and street, a parallel system is for like highway rolling starts and drag
You have been misinformed - the oem twins have been drag raced in both sequential and parallel modes, and sequential is faster for drag racing too.

Here's how to put the oem twins into parallel mode:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ttc/ttc.htm

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-31-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
BradMD
Stock

Ok so maybe 550hp is too much, i found out the stock TT can only go to around 400hp, and im not drag racing it or anything, at least not now. Just want to make it more powerful and fun to drive in the future. So im guessing say 450-500 is more suitable, i don't know really it all depends on how much i pay for the parts and whether it may be just a little bit more pricey for more power?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #19
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so maybe 550hp is too much, i found out the stock TT can only go to around 400hp, and im not drag racing it or anything, at least not now. Just want to make it more powerful and fun to drive in the future. So im guessing say 450-500 is more suitable, i don't know really it all depends on how much i pay for the parts and whether it may be just a little bit more pricey for more power?
You also have been misinformed. If you're truly interested for whatever reason (given that you're an n/a owner) "the stock TT" can do a lot more than "400hp". That said, 'the stock ZR1 vette' can do 638hp...to me, that's just as irrelevant! The n/a MKIV and TT MKIV engines are completely different - with totally different heads, different pistons and a different ignition system!!! It seems that you arbitrarily want one to suddenly do the same hp as the other one. Why not evaluate what the n/a MKIV engine is capable of all on its own right, independent of what any other completely different engine/car/whatever can do? Also, if you want what the TT can do in horsepower, how are you going to stop all of that quickness once it gets going? With those pitiful n/a brakes? What about turning with the lousy n/a suspension and narrow 16" wheels? What will you do when the weaker n/a transmission or the weaker n/a differential gives up the goat?

Lastly, you never answered my question: What do you think of the n/a-T kit I linked to in my post above?

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-02-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
BradMD
Stock

I only really want to know how much the GTE can make as I have heard it can do around 400hp but if more i may consider swapping the engine with a TT or buying a TT supra with the big brakes, abs ect. Other wise with a single turbo kit, i can fit bigger then UK brakes myself or find a used US/UK spec set. I also plan to fit aftermarket coilovers, and i have a set of 18" wider wheels already. I may swap the gearbox and drivetrain out of a wrecked TT or something if I don't get a TT supra. Regarding the single turbo kit, it is a bit pricey, also parts like the intercooler and other parts i can buy separatly with better specs, and reduce the price of the whole upgrade.