Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
nathan ferguson
Stock

nathan ferguson is on a distinguished road
Post single or twin?

hi, just a general wonder... i know single turbo is better for top end performance and speed, but is a single or twin better as 'a turbo' cos i take it both have pro's and cons yet which is 'the better turbo' for a supra? i like how singles sound more, but which (both on a car with 800hp) would be 'better'?

thanks

nath
nathan ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan ferguson View Post
hi, just a general wonder... i know single turbo is better for top end performance and speed, but is a single or twin better as 'a turbo' cos i take it both have pro's and cons yet which is 'the better turbo' for a supra? i like how singles sound more, but which (both on a car with 800hp) would be 'better'?

thanks

nath
A single turbo is not necessarily better for top end performance and speed. Where did you hear that?

The aftermarket single has two primary advantages over aftermarket (parallel) twins: 1) Cost. and 2) Reliability.

You might find these additional clarifications useful:
  • Every single-turbo Mkiv is always an aftermarket upgrade...whereas twins can either be stock or aftermarket.
  • Twins can be either sequential or parallel.
  • Most aftermarket twins are parallel.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
nathan ferguson
Stock

oh, theres a vicious common beleif, you hear it on youtube for example a huge amount, turns you they're wrong then

whats the difference in cost between the single and twin (parallel)? and how much more reliable? thats weird because i knew it would be more reliable.. just makes sense.. one turbo over two XD

and i know singles are aftermarket only, and only twins are available stock or aftermarket, but was just a general wonder and finding out jobbie.

thanks for the info

nath
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...whats the difference in cost between the single and twin (parallel)?...
The cost is almost double.
Quote:
...and how much more reliable? thats weird because i knew it would be more reliable.. just makes sense.. one turbo over two...
My *guess* is about twice as reliable. For example, let's say aftermarket twins are 99% reliable over any three year period. A single would probably be about 99.5% reliable over that period of time (0.5% failure rate for a single vs. 1.0% failure rate for twins).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-26-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
nathan ferguson
Stock

! jesus lmao you know your stuff! and thanks, for the info so essentially overall single is ever so slightly better as an all rounder?

thanks

nath
Old 02-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
! jesus lmao you know your stuff! and thanks, for the info so essentially overall single is ever so slightly better as an all rounder?

thanks

nath
I wouldn't say slightly. Half the price ($5k USD vs $10k USD for the kit) makes a single a lot better than "slightly" imho...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
nathan ferguson
Stock

haha! well there is always that side of things, half the price does make a difference to how on the paper lasts! XD thanks again for the info, much appreciated

nath

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Tags
single turbo, supra, twin turbo