Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road
Default Max Power from twin turbos

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 97 twin turbo supra. The car is almost stock, the way i wanted it so i can do my own work. I have wanted a supra since i wanted to drive and finally got one.

Now i need to start my project. Not that it doesn't already have a lot of power but i would like to get more power out of it. I'm not looking at drag racing it right now or anything so i would like to keep it running on the twins right now. My question is: How much power could i get on the stock twin turbos and what would i need to do to achieve that power? I'm looking at around 600 crank horse power at least. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTT View Post
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 97 twin turbo supra. The car is almost stock, the way i wanted it so i can do my own work. I have wanted a supra since i wanted to drive and finally got one.

Now i need to start my project. Not that it doesn't already have a lot of power but i would like to get more power out of it. I'm not looking at drag racing it right now or anything so i would like to keep it running on the twins right now. My question is: How much power could i get on the stock twin turbos and what would i need to do to achieve that power? I'm looking at around 600 crank horse power at least. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
The most power you could practically achieve out of the oem twins depends a lot on the condition of your turbos and your engine. However, there's no practical way to get 600 crank horsepower out of the oem twins alone (i.e. without adding nitrous). If your engine and turbos were brand new, your max through a 6spd (not sure if you have a 6spd or an auto) would be about 485rwhp (570 crank hp) ... and even that is only after a lot of "bpu++++" modifications. To get on your way, you'll need to start with basic bpu, which is described here:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1
Note: Although that link shows an exhaust as the first bpu mod, an exhaust won't affect the horsepower until you get into the bpu++++ range. The item that's missing from the list is adding a boost gauge, which is critical to keeping your engine in good condition and letting you know what octane of fuel you need to run (based on the boost levels you've chosen with your boost controller). Note however that some ebc's do display the boost level.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-26-2009 at 09:45 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
The most power you could practically achieve out of the oem twins depends a lot on the condition of your turbos and your engine. However, there's no practical way to get 600 crank horsepower out of the oem twins alone (i.e. without adding nitrous). If your engine and turbos were brand new, your max through a 6spd (not sure if you have a 6spd or an auto) would be about 485rwhp (570 crank hp) ... and even that is only after a lot of "bpu++++" modifications. To get on your way, you'll need to start with basic bpu, which is described here:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1
Note: Although that link shows an exhaust as the first bpu mod, an exhaust won't affect the horsepower until you get into the bpu++++ range. The item that's missing from the list is adding a boost gauge, which is critical to keeping your engine in good condition and letting you know what octane of fuel you need to run (based on the boost levels you've chosen with your boost controller). Note however that some ebc's do display the boost level.
Thank you for replying to my post. This information will help alot. I have done alot of research and i can see that i will not be looking at 600 hp. Even if i get it up to 570 crank hp then i would be pushing my twins to the max and greatly shorten the life of the turbos. Is what i will probably do is start with some BPU mods and then eventually upgrade to a single turbo. Thank you again for the reply.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote