Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   need help making power 94tt (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/18843-need-help-making-power-94tt.html)

warmkop 03-24-2011 09:54 PM

need help making power 94tt

Hi im from south africa bought a 94tt supra not many here this side need help making power out of my dream car. bougt a godspeed branch t4 need to know what exhaust housing wil work dont whant to much lag so 4000rpm is fine.busy with atermarket ecu,extra feul pump at least 23 psi with racing feul any comments welcome

pwpanas 03-25-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93652)
Hi im from south africa bought a 94tt supra not many here this side need help making power out of my dream car. bougt a godspeed branch t4 need to know what exhaust housing wil work dont whant to much lag so 4000rpm is fine.busy with atermarket ecu,extra feul pump at least 23 psi with racing feul any comments welcome

Gosh...here's my advice (for now). Please slow down! One step at a time! Please do not get the fuel kit yet. Please do not invest in the aftermarket ecu yet. Let's come up with a plan that matches your horsepower level...if you want power at 4000 rpm, most likely the turbo will be small enough to work fine with the oem ecu. Also, any turbo with its max efficiency point at 23psi will be moderate sized at most. The Mkiv TT is an amazing, very upgradeable vehicle - and a lot of the stock parts are good to MUCH more than the oem rating. Ok?
Who is telling you to do all of these crazy things right now?
Where can I find specs on the "godspeed branch T4"?

warmkop 03-25-2011 03:42 PM

bought the branch on ebay. previouse owner fiddle with the twin turbo system and is giving me problems.whant to get the most power out of the enjin stock.already have the aftermarket management gotech pro x.not sure how much boost the stock motor can handle ive read it is alot.im not sure what size turbo to use a/r dont whant to buy to big and have to much lag dont want to use nos. will a ar86 twinscroll exhaust be to big.

pwpanas 03-26-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93680)
bought the branch on ebay. previouse owner fiddle with the twin turbo system and is giving me problems.whant to get the most power out of the enjin stock.already have the aftermarket management gotech pro x.not sure how much boost the stock motor can handle ive read it is alot.im not sure what size turbo to use a/r dont whant to buy to big and have to much lag dont want to use nos. will a ar86 twinscroll exhaust be to big.

The stock engine can take a LOT of boost, but only on race fuel (and/or alcohol injection). What is the octane of fuel you have available? Also, please provide the formula used to calculate the octane (RON, MON, R+M/2?, etc.)

Turbos aren't primarly rated in AR...they're rated in inducer size (eg. 58mm, 66mm, 71mm, 76mm, etc.). Please get me more info on the system(s) you're considering.

warmkop 03-26-2011 11:12 PM

need help making power 94tt turbo sizes

il start of with afgas 100/115 LL it has 0.3 TEL dont know much more ,first will use stock injectors and see how much boost i can get. later stage want to use e85 ethanol.this sizes apparently is for 450-600 hp turbo that is all they say.Does the sizes look rite or not

Intake :4 inch
Outlet: 2.5 inch
Compressor trim: .70 ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 66.71 /84.20
Turbine wheel diameter : 63.56 /73.60
Exhaust trim: 1.00ar

pwpanas 03-26-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93706)
il start of with afgas 100/115 LL it has 0.3 TEL dont know much more ,first will use stock injectors and see how much boost i can get. later stage want to use e85 ethanol.this sizes apparently is for 450-600 hp turbo that is all they say.Does the sizes look rite or not

Intake :4 inch
Outlet: 2.5 inch
Compressor trim: .70 ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 66.71 /84.20
Turbine wheel diameter : 63.56 /73.60
Exhaust trim: 1.00ar

1) You have what's usually referred to as a 67mm turbo. This is considered an approximate 700rwhp turbo through a 6spd.
2) This turbo will outflow the stock injectors, so running it without an upgraded fuel kit is dangerous. If for some reason your boost control fails, your air outflows your fuel, and melted pistons result (even with race fuel or aviation fuel). You need to get rid of the oem fuel system immediately. Your new fuel system should use at least 780cc (75#) injectors.
3) Boost is not determined by the fuel, it's determined by your turbo and your fuel controller. If you block off your wastegate (or modify the boost controller to achieve the equivalent) your turbo is capable of well over 35psi of sustained boost... However, don't run it that high! You must use your boost controller to ensure that you do not run more boost than the octane of your fuel can support.
4) Are you running an auto or a 6spd?
5) I believe that the exhaust a/r on this turbo is inappropriate for your application (too large). Ask your supplier if you can replace it for a smaller exhaust housing (eg. .80 a/r)
6) The compressor housing outlet is a bit small. See if you can get it replaced with a housing that has a 3" outlet.
7) Which intercooler are you planning to use?

warmkop 03-27-2011 11:21 AM

need help making power 94 tt

I have a 6spd. i havent bought a turbo yet so can still get any size.
Still have the stock cooler on it is difficult to get good brand names in SA and to import a new one is very expensive. the coolers this side does not have specs they just give size

pwpanas 03-31-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93722)
I have a 6spd. i havent bought a turbo yet so can still get any size.
Still have the stock cooler on it is difficult to get good brand names in SA and to import a new one is very expensive. the coolers this side does not have specs they just give size

Great. I hope you haven't got the fuel system yet either. Okay, my next two questions are:
1) What is your application? Roadrace? Daily driver? Autocross? Drag race? Drifting? Top speed? etc.
2) What is your horsepower goal? ...or what is your goal for your application (eg. specific lap time?).

warmkop 03-31-2011 07:28 PM

Need help making power 94tt

No haven't bought the fuel system yet.
Drag racing and roadrace.
±500whp don't know what the 1/4 mile time will be.
Did compressure test all cylinders fine.
Standerd it made 272whp and 14.3 on 1/4 mile.

pwpanas 04-02-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93896)
No haven't bought the fuel system yet.
Drag racing and roadrace.
±500whp don't know what the 1/4 mile time will be.
Did compressure test all cylinders fine.
Standerd it made 272whp and 14.3 on 1/4 mile.

• Drag + roadrace is a very tough combo...especially for the suspension. For example, the best dragrace setup is no front sway bar a stiff rear sway bar, and really mushy rear suspension. For roadrace, you want a stiff front sway bar, a relatively weak rear sway bar, and a good balance of spring rates front to rear. See what I mean?
  • 500whp through a 6spd is very doable with a relatively small turbo on the stock fuel system.
  • Precisely what were your compression test numbers? Please feel free to send them to me privately.

warmkop 04-02-2011 07:26 AM

• Al of the cylinders is between 150 and 155psi
  • why do you take the front sway bar off what is the reason
  • Does a twinscroll turbo make any diffrense on spool up time

pwpanas 04-10-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 93966)
  • Al of the cylinders is between 150 and 155psi.

Agreed those numbers are okay, but (fyi) a brand-new 2jz-gte reads about 170psi. I'd suggest you should also do a leakdown test.
Quote:

• why do you take the front sway bar off what is the reason

For the best drag race launch, you want the back tires firmly planted, regardless of body twist or suspension travel. When the front sway bar is doing its job forcing the body flat, the rear tires aren't optimally planted.

Quote:

• Does a twinscroll turbo make any diffrense on spool up time

Not at all, unless you have one of these:
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ool_Valve/3643

warmkop 04-12-2011 07:30 PM

Dit the test everything is fine.that part is expensive for something that i can make my self.

pwpanas 04-14-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 94290)
...that part is expensive for something that i can make my self.

Good luck. The tolerances required to make that valve effective are VERY tight.

warmkop 04-14-2011 03:47 PM

i bould parts for powerstations so tolerances is not a problem.How effective is cutting the standerd cams or is it better to buy cams.

pwpanas 04-23-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 94354)
i bould parts for powerstations so tolerances is not a problem.How effective is cutting the standerd cams or is it better to buy cams.

In my experience, most buy aftermarket cams like these:
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=656&rsku=4064

To get a longer duration, don't you need *more* 'meat' on the camshaft? I believe you'd have to do more than just cutting...

warmkop 04-23-2011 10:52 AM

Thanks for the advice so far its been very helpful.
What cam wil you say is the best to use and wat can i rev the motor safely.

pwpanas 04-23-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 94653)
Thanks for the advice so far its been very helpful.
What cam wil you say is the best to use and wat can i rev the motor safely.

You're welcome.
For your application, these HKS 272 duration cams will do nicely:
2202-RT085 and 2202-RT086
(note these only work on the '93-'98 non-VVTi models)

With the oem valve springs, max 8500rpm is safe.
With dual springs and titanium retainers, 9500+rpm is easily doable.
Add shimless buckets to the setup and it should be good for 11K (no kidding - again, that's with a bone-stock oem shortblock!).

However, note that you don't really make your power with rpms alone in the 2jz-gte. The turbo is so integral to the overall performance...the turbo-driven horsepower curve will usually taper off after about 8000-9000rpms. You'll want to set things up so that your shifts maximally captialize on that horsepower curve. Use the nos as an aide to spool up the turbo quicker and you'll widen that horsepower curve even more.

warmkop 05-06-2011 11:05 AM

how good is the standard intercooler and at power should it be changed.
should i install a bigger oil cooler

pwpanas 05-07-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 95046)
how good is the standard intercooler and at power should it be changed.
should i install a bigger oil cooler

The oem intercooler is fine for many applications (eg. roadracing). It's side-mount design means that it doesn't pre-heat air going to the radiator. For 500rwhp and roadracing, it may be near optimal. For 800+rwhp and drag racing, it's probably not. Anything in the middle is probably arguable...especially if you find a way to take care of its one weakness - the plastic end tanks. At high boost and high heat, the end tanks can pop out from the metal fingers that hold them on. To solve this, you can wrap a metal cinch strap around the intercooler and end tanks to help keep things together. If you can find it, at one time GReddy made an all-metal side-mount intercooler oem replacement.

You should only install a bigger oil cooler if you're going to be roadracing at 700rwhp+, imho.

warmkop 09-16-2011 03:37 PM

need advise

peoplei n SA is advising me against ethanol is afgas just as good or not.How good is the aftermarket intake manifolds on ebay peolple also say it is crap because it gets smaller at the end and cyl 5.6 runs hotter can build my own just need spec. do i need to make my fuel lines bigger for 1200cc injectors.any advise welcome

pwpanas 09-16-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98127)
peoplei n SA is advising me against ethanol is afgas just as good or not.How good is the aftermarket intake manifolds on ebay peolple also say it is crap because it gets smaller at the end and cyl 5.6 runs hotter can build my own just need spec. do i need to make my fuel lines bigger for 1200cc injectors.any advise welcome

Do not run aviation fuel. Race fuel (specifically for motorsports applications) is proven for high horsepower applications. E85 is okay too.

The oem plenum is what causes a lean condition in #6 for high horsepower applications. Aftermarket plenums solve this issue. That's why they were invented! However I definitely agree that you should stay away from the cheaply-constructed plenums on ebay and go with a name brand like veilside, virtual works, or sound performance.

I can't answer the question about you fuel lines because you have not told me how much fuel your engine will be consuming. For example, I could make 1200cc injectors work just fine with the stock twin turbos and the oem fuel lines. If you still have that 67mm turbo, 1200cc injectors are too big unless you're going to run E85. A 67mm turbo's fuel requirements do outstrip the oem fuel pump and lines. You need to get a complete fuel system - don't try to piecemeal one together yourself.

warmkop 09-16-2011 04:22 PM

so basically afgas is crap i must just buy racing fuel wat is the problem with ethanol,what do you think about building my own manifold. do you know the brand name brian croward want to order a set of 272 cams fom them. Im getting a hks head gasket with arp bolt and boost as much as possible.what do you mean about the fuel system what is the best ruit to take.must i get rid of the fuel tank and get a fuel cell with 2/3 pumps or is that over kill

pwpanas 09-16-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98129)
so basically afgas is crap i must just buy racing fuel wat is the problem with ethanol,what do you think about building my own manifold. do you know the brand name brian croward want to order a set of 272 cams fom them. Im getting a hks head gasket with arp bolt and boost as much as possible.what do you mean about the fuel system what is the best ruit to take.must i get rid of the fuel tank and get a fuel cell with 2/3 pumps or is that over kill

Pure ethanol may be okay but I know of no Supra race team or individual that has achieved proven results with it. E85 and methanol are proven.

Afgas is crap. Wrong balance of short and long chain hydrocarbons unless you're up at 20,000 feet.

Do you have a flow bench? If not, don't try to build your own plenum.

Use HKS or JUN cams imho, not crower.

Why are you changing the head gasket?

No fuel cell but you definitely need more than one pump. Here is a complete fuel system :
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...-98_Supra/3660

warmkop 09-16-2011 09:39 PM

need advise

I know racing is expensive but with the rand to dollor i must multiply the amount with 8 so it is very very expensive to get the parts here.The fuel system i want to build is basically the same so that is sorted out. I dont know if the old gasket wil handle the boost.how bad is the stock manifold cant i improve it i do have all the engineering equipment and skills.

pwpanas 09-19-2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98131)
I know racing is expensive but with the rand to dollor i must multiply the amount with 8 so it is very very expensive to get the parts here.The fuel system i want to build is basically the same so that is sorted out. I dont know if the old gasket wil handle the boost.how bad is the stock manifold cant i improve it i do have all the engineering equipment and skills.

1) The oem (Toyota) 2jz-gte head gasket will handle the boost just fine. If someone told you differently, please send him/her to me.
2) Pay to play. Sorry, but you can't get away from that. If you want to maximize your investment, don't buy stuff you don't need like an HKS head gasket or an ebay intake plenum.
3) The oem intake plenum is just fine for a 67mm turbo. You only need to change it out for 750rwhp (6spd) applications. If you want to modify it, just block off the EGR valve (us-spec mkiv tt's only).

warmkop 09-19-2011 05:56 PM

need advise

Il keep the head gasket on il just upgrade the fuel system.how strong is the stock clutch and flywheel.can you tel me what the diffrence is between e85 an ethanol.thanks for the advise so far you have been a great help.

pwpanas 09-19-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98189)
Il keep the head gasket on il just upgrade the fuel system.how strong is the stock clutch and flywheel.can you tel me what the diffrence is between e85 an ethanol.thanks for the advise so far you have been a great help.

Then oem pressure plate will only hold about 400rwhp* long-term reliably. With an Act or RPS or South Bend pressure plate, the oem flywheel and clutch disc will hold about 600rwhp*. With a carbon-ceramic clutch disc, it'll hold about 700rwhp*. Above that point you'll need a double or triple disc clutch.

A lightweight flywheel will improve roadracing performance, but it will not affect holding power.

E85 is 15% gasoline. Pure ethanol can be the start of a great party!

* P. S. Clutches actually hold torque, not horsepower. If you'd like the upgrade points in ft-lbs instead, please send me a PM.

warmkop 09-19-2011 08:27 PM

need advise

so ethanol with so 20% racing fuel sound like a good mix.wil replace the clutch kit put in the fuel system and boost as much ass possible safely.what degree timing is do you run on the supra iknow it depend on the fuel and stuff was just wandering.

pwpanas 09-21-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98191)
so ethanol with so 20% racing fuel sound like a good mix.wil replace the clutch kit put in the fuel system and boost as much ass possible safely.what degree timing is do you run on the supra iknow it depend on the fuel and stuff was just wandering.

With E85 you need to flow about 50%+ more fuel, so the injectors have to be that much larger.

87hilux7mge 09-22-2011 05:53 AM

sorry for butting in here, but remember as well that if you run e85 or e100 or any mix of that with gasoline (as in a flexfuel vehicle) you must have the appropriate fuel delivery components such as:

stainless steel tank or teflon coated fuel tank, stainless steel fuel hard lines, teflon coated rubber efi hose and a compatible fuel pump/injectors capable of flowing more fuel and combating e85/e100's corrosive nature.

dont forget that if you plan to run both at seperate times or a mix of the two, your tune must change if you run full e85 or full gasoline, or a mix.

e85 is great under boost, as its octane rating sits around 100ish, some say less some say more, i go by testing ethanol from my local e85 station. (god i love having freinds in the lab), and its cheaper than regular gas.

e100 is even more appropriate for boost, as the octane rating has been said to test as high as 120, but dont quote me on that.

anyway, just some pointers, good luck with it!

pwpanas 09-22-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98234)
sorry for butting in here, but remember as well that if you run e85 or e100 or any mix of that with gasoline (as in a flexfuel vehicle) you must have the appropriate fuel delivery components such as:

stainless steel tank or teflon coated fuel tank, stainless steel fuel hard lines, teflon coated rubber efi hose and a compatible fuel pump/injectors capable of flowing more fuel and combating e85/e100's corrosive nature.

dont forget that if you plan to run both at seperate times or a mix of the two, your tune must change if you run full e85 or full gasoline, or a mix.

e85 is great under boost, as its octane rating sits around 100ish, some say less some say more, i go by testing ethanol from my local e85 station. (god i love having freinds in the lab), and its cheaper than regular gas.

e100 is even more appropriate for boost, as the octane rating has been said to test as high as 120, but dont quote me on that.

anyway, just some pointers, good luck with it!

Great post - very informative!

warmkop 10-17-2011 08:01 PM

need help makin power

wat flywheel is better aluminum or act street lite steel flywheel need to buy new one

pwpanas 10-18-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98732)
wat flywheel is better aluminum or act street lite steel flywheel need to buy new one

I assume you mean "what" when you said "wat". Please let me know if this assumption was not accurate. If you meant something else, this response may not make any sense (I've never heard of a "wat flywheel" - maybe that's a new brand? If so, please provide a link):

The decision depends what you're going to use it for. If you're going to be drag racing with high horsepower, a heavier steel flywheel makes a turbo car much easier to launch. If you're going to roadrace with a good traction control system (eg. RaceLogic), then as I already said above a very lightweight aluminum flywheel will let your driveline rev up much more quickly. For daily-driving street use, the oem dual-mass flywheel can't be beat...it's heavy which makes for foolproof smooth launches, and the dual-mass dampening keeps everything as quiet as possible.

warmkop 10-19-2011 03:44 PM

Need help making power 94tt

I meant what sorry.I decided to build the supra for the dragstrip.
Took the clutch out last week but the flywheel has to much play/wear need to replace it.
Wil the stock ignition system be okay with the aftermarket managment.

pwpanas 10-19-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98755)
I meant what sorry.I decided to build the supra for the dragstrip.
Took the clutch out last week but the flywheel has to much play/wear need to replace it.
Wil the stock ignition system be okay with the aftermarket managment.

The oem TT ignition is fine if your aftermarket engine management system has at least six ignition outputs. Iridium spark plugs are recommended.

Note that (for example) the AEM gen-1 has only four ignition outputs, which puts the 2jz-gte into "waste spark" mode...and in "waste spark" an ignition amplifier like the "HKS DLI-2 Twin Power Ignition Amplifier", or an "AEM CDI Ignition System" is required.

warmkop 10-20-2011 03:45 PM

Need help making power94 TT

The managment im gone use has 6 outputs.Can you give me some advise on the stock flywheel to look if it is really necessary to replace it.

pwpanas 10-21-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 98784)
The managment im gone use has 6 outputs.Can you give me some advise on the stock flywheel to look if it is really necessary to replace it.

If your current (used) oem Mkiv TT flywheel has play in it, then it's probably time to get a new oem flywheel. For drag racing, the oem flywheel with a strong aftermarket pressure plate and carbon-puck disk works fine up to about 700rwhp. At that point, you need to move to a twin disk clutch in order for it to reliably and repeatedly hold hard launches. All twin clutches come with their own flywheel.

warmkop 11-16-2011 05:03 PM

Have so far the turbo the manifold,1200cc injectors for e85 new lamda sensor,clutch kit just waiting for the flywheel.
2 fuel pumps,fuel rail with FPR with aftermarket managment starting it soon ANY COMMENTS cant wait to see what power she can make.what degree timing do you run normally on the supra.

pwpanas 11-17-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmkop (Post 99321)
Have so far the turbo the manifold,1200cc injectors for e85 new lamda sensor,clutch kit just waiting for the flywheel.
2 fuel pumps,fuel rail with FPR with aftermarket managment starting it soon ANY COMMENTS cant wait to see what power she can make.what degree timing do you run normally on the supra.

Unless you're spraying nitrous, you don't need to modify the oem TT timing curve...at least not right away.

Again, the oem intake plenum is just fine for a 67mm turbo. You only need to change it out for 750rwhp+ (6spd) applications. If you want to modify the oem plenum, just block off the EGR valve (us-spec mkiv tt's only).

Are those fuel components part of a kit that you purchased? If not, be very careful running the line(s) and wires through the fuel tank cover. It'll also be a lot of fun figuring out the line lengths and all the right fittings to use. Oh, will you be running a center return or a return at one or both ends of the rail?