Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
mrgdm007
Intake

mrgdm007 is on a distinguished road

Very detailed!!! Transmission or Clutch Problem

OK I have a 1994 supra tt 6 speed, I bought it about 3 weeks ago from a toyota dealership. The clutch has just been replaced and the flywheel had been re-machined. My problem is that I will be driving in 1st gear and and 2nd gear when I push the clutch in there is a reasonably loud chatter that you can hear from inside and outside the car even if your standing 10 feet away from the car that happens about three times,( clutch in, chatter, chatter, chatter) then it stops.

I also have a problem with when shifting normally into 2nd and 3rd gear it feels like something is hitting it, almost like the clutch isnt down all the way down but theres no grinding just a bump and it goes it to gear. If im driving though and lets say I take it out of first, wait a sec or two, and then put it into 2nd gear the bump is gone.

Another thing that happened a few days ago while I was driving I went to put it into 2nd while rolling at a low speed, the gear started to grind, so I moved the stick up but kept it to the left (in between 1st and 2nd) and pulled it down again, it did the same thing and the gears started to grind so I pulled the stick back to the neutral position (between 3rd and 4th) and then pulled the stick to 2nd and it went right in no problem, the thing that didnt make since to me was that my foot had the clutch down to the ground the entire time from the low speed roll to the transmission going into 2nd gear. If anyone could help that would be great!

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.
mrgdm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
matt1993supraTT
3" Exhaust

matt1993supraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post

OK I have a 1994 supra tt 6 speed, I bought it about 3 weeks ago from a toyota dealership. The clutch has just been replaced and the flywheel had been re-machined. My problem is that I will be driving in 1st gear and and 2nd gear when I push the clutch in there is a reasonably loud chatter that you can hear from inside and outside the car even if your standing 10 feet away from the car that happens about three times,( clutch in, chatter, chatter, chatter) then it stops.

I also have a problem with when shifting normally into 2nd and 3rd gear it feels like something is hitting it, almost like the clutch isnt down all the way down but theres no grinding just a bump and it goes it to gear. If im driving though and lets say I take it out of first, wait a sec or two, and then put it into 2nd gear the bump is gone.

Another thing that happened a few days ago while I was driving I went to put it into 2nd while rolling at a low speed, the gear started to grind, so I moved the stick up but kept it to the left (in between 1st and 2nd) and pulled it down again, it did the same thing and the gears started to grind so I pulled the stick back to the neutral position (between 3rd and 4th) and then pulled the stick to 2nd and it went right in no problem, the thing that didnt make since to me was that my foot had the clutch down to the ground the entire time from the low speed roll to the transmission going into 2nd gear. If anyone could help that would be great!

i wonder when they machined the fly wheel if they cut it down too much!? i had a 1g AWD talon a few years back and it happen to me machine shop took to much off the fly wheel and the clutch would chatter and would also grind when trying to put it in gear where thats a DSM & we're talking about a supra not sure if that helps
matt1993supraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
mrgdm007
Intake

ok thank you very much, I cant get to a shop that I can trust and that has experience with performance imports for about a week, I just wanted to make sure its nothing to serious because I dont want to mess up my tranny.

I am looking to do the typical bpu upgrades and then if this is the problem, a new flywheel and I know there are a few ups and downs with flywheels, but I would like to get a good, possibly slightly lighter flywheel, but I understand that if its too light there will be chatter, if you have any insight on what would be a good flywheel or should I just go with the trd twin disc set with flywheel, as well as what is the trd clutch set good for hp wise?

If any one has any more insight on the possible problem please let me know thank you!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
mrgdm007
Intake

Default Best Flywheel

Ok so I have a 1994 supra tt, 100,000 miles on it, I might have to get a new flywheel because the toyota dealership re-machined the stock flywheel to much, so what would your suggestions be on an aftermarket flywheel. I am not looking for drag racing or the lightest flywheel made, because I dont want the chatter or problems with idling, just a good one possibly lighter weight like the rsp flywheel, but if you guys could let me know what you would suggest and why. The car is stock right now but I do look to bpu it this summer, il be looking at around 400 450max hp. Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
matt1993supraTT
3" Exhaust

matt1993supraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok thank you very much, I cant get to a shop that I can trust and that has experience with performance imports for about a week, I just wanted to make sure its nothing to serious because I dont want to mess up my tranny.

I am looking to do the typical bpu upgrades and then if this is the problem, a new flywheel and I know there are a few ups and downs with flywheels, but I would like to get a good, possibly slightly lighter flywheel, but I understand that if its too light there will be chatter, if you have any insight on what would be a good flywheel or should I just go with the trd twin disc set with flywheel, as well as what is the trd clutch set good for hp wise?

If any one has any more insight on the possible problem please let me know thank you!

no problem man, sorry i can't give you any insight on fly wheels my car is a auto. search the forums to see what guys are saying about fly wheels MKIV.com has a bunch of info.
matt1993supraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to the MKIV section.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Who changed your clutch and machined your flywheel? Toyota?
1) It's extremely difficult to machine the oem dual-mass flywheel. Are you sure this was done, properly?
2) Was the clutch plate installed properly? It's possible to put it in backwards (although the clutch usually won't engage if it's in backwards).
3) At the very least, it sounds like the pedal needs to be adjusted to more completely disengage - do you know how to do this?

Note: I just merged this with the other thread - why did you double-post your question?

Quote:
I am looking to do the typical bpu upgrades and then if this is the problem, a new flywheel and I know there are a few ups and downs with flywheels, but I would like to get a good, possibly slightly lighter flywheel, but I understand that if its too light there will be chatter, if you have any insight on what would be a good flywheel or should I just go with the trd twin disc set with flywheel, as well as what is the trd clutch set good for hp wise?...
1) A lighter flywheel is not a "typical bpu upgrade". BPU upgrades consist of a boost gauge, a fuel cut elimination device (eg BCC), a downpipe, and a boost-raising modification (eg. 'clamp mod' or ebc).
2) Chatter is not caused by an aftermarket flywheel, although transmission 'rattle' while idling is. Eliminating the oem dual-mass flywheel passes all minor rpm changes directly to the transmission, which causes the noise. It's not loud at all, but it is noticeable (especially while running your a/c). Chatter is typically caused by an aggressive carbon clutch disc with a non-carbon (i.e. steel) flywheel and pressure plate.
3) You won't need a twin disc flywheel until you upgrade to a single turbo. The clutch you need depends on the max horsepower (i.e. torque) you need it to handle. For BPU, a single disc clutch is more than sufficient. Tell us the max rwhp you will need this clutch to handle, and we can provide a recommendation.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so I have a 1994 supra tt, 100,000 miles on it, I might have to get a new flywheel because the toyota dealership re-machined the stock flywheel to much, so what would your suggestions be on an aftermarket flywheel. I am not looking for drag racing or the lightest flywheel made, because I dont want the chatter or problems with idling, just a good one possibly lighter weight like the rsp flywheel, but if you guys could let me know what you would suggest and why. The car is stock right now but I do look to bpu it this summer, il be looking at around 400 450max hp. Thanks
Any light flywheel will make your Supra a bit harder and/or a bit less convenient/comfortable. Can you live with that? For example, when you eliminate the oem dual-mass flywheel, you'll notice a rattling noise from your transmission while idling and your clutch pedal not depressed. Would this be a problem? Also, your Supra will be more likely to stall when moving away from a dead stop (especially uphill)...unless you change the way you drive and increase the rpm. Would this be undesireable?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-29-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
mrgdm007
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Who changed your clutch and machined your flywheel? Toyota?
1) It's extremely difficult to machine the oem dual-mass flywheel. Are you sure this was done, properly?
2) Was the clutch plate installed properly? It's possible to put it in backwards (although the clutch usually won't engage if it's in backwards).
3) At the very least, it sounds like the pedal needs to be adjusted to more completely disengage - do you know how to do this?

Note: I just merged this with the other thread - why did you double-post your question?
1)It was toyota and they probably didnt because it was a smaller toyota dealership, so their knowledge was probably limited
2)The clutch engages the but it does seem kind of unnecessarily hard to put each gear into place, not like forcing it in, but like I cant just put it in, I do have to apply a little bit of pressure
3)I dont if its something I could do with basic tool, and not getting under the car then if you could tell me how, other wise I am going to take it to a shop in Tulsa, Oklahoma that have experience with imports and, have been highly recommended from mr2 turbo guys and a few supra guys as well as hondas and other toyota owners, but to start the car, the clutch has to be pressed all the way to the floor, if it is not touching the ground (as far down as it will go) then the car will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
1) A lighter flywheel is not a "typical bpu upgrade". BPU upgrades consist of a boost gauge, a fuel cut elimination device (eg BCC), a downpipe, and a boost-raising modification (eg. 'clamp mod' or ebc).
2) Chatter is not caused by an aftermarket flywheel, although transmission 'rattle' while idling is. Eliminating the oem dual-mass flywheel passes all minor rpm changes directly to the transmission, which causes the noise. It's not loud at all, but it is noticeable (especially while running your a/c). Chatter is typically caused by an aggressive carbon clutch disc with a non-carbon (i.e. steel) flywheel and pressure plate.
3) You won't need a twin disc flywheel until you upgrade to a single turbo. The clutch you need depends on the max horsepower (i.e. torque) you need it to handle. For BPU, a single disc clutch is more than sufficient. Tell us the max rwhp you will need this clutch to handle, and we can provide a recommendation.
1) my bad
2) I heard something where you can have your engine set to idle at a little bit higher rpm, like 1000-1200, have you heard of this?
3)max the car will every have is 650wrhp, that wont be for a few years tho, Im just looking to do bpu, and keep the tt set up until I am out of college, so 400rwhp as of know, what do you recommend flywheel wise and clutch wise

Thank you for your help ahead of time

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-28-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
1) my bad
2) I heard something where you can have your engine set to idle at a little bit higher rpm, like 1000-1200, have you heard of this?
3)max the car will every have is 650wrhp, that wont be for a few years tho, Im just looking to do bpu, and keep the tt set up until I am out of college, so 400rwhp as of know, what do you recommend flywheel wise and clutch wise

Thank you for your help ahead of time
Glad to help!
1) No problem at all - just making sure you and others reading this thread weren't confused on the specs for BPU vs. non-BPU/APU upgrades.
2) Of course - but it's only practical to achieve if you're running an aftermarket ECU (eg. AEM). Trying to accomplish this by adjusting the oem throttle body will be frustrating at best. Trying to do this one change by adjusting the oem ecu isn't practical. Note that this will also negatively impact your mpg's.
3) Are you sure you want to buy a 650rwhp clutch right now? Within "a few years" you could easily wear out a less expensive one. For 400rwhp, a new oem clutch and new oem flywheel will work just fine. For a setup with a bit more holding power and heavier pedal pressure (i.e. slightly less 'comfortable' to drive), use a new oem clutch plate and a new oem flywheel with an aftermarket pressure plate (eg. RPS or ACT).

Quote:
1)It was toyota and they probably didnt because it was a smaller toyota dealership, so their knowledge was probably limited
2)The clutch engages the but it does seem kind of unnecessarily hard to put each gear into place, not like forcing it in, but like I cant just put it in, I do have to apply a little bit of pressure
3)I dont if its something I could do with basic tool, and not getting under the car then if you could tell me how, other wise I am going to take it to a shop in Tulsa, Oklahoma that have experience with imports and, have been highly recommended from mr2 turbo guys and a few supra guys as well as hondas and other toyota owners, but to start the car, the clutch has to be pressed all the way to the floor, if it is not touching the ground (as far down as it will go) then the car will not start
1) Agreed. In general, don't let Toyota work on your Mkiv TT. No disrespect intended, but their mechanics are experts at Camrys and 4-Runners (by necessity).
2) Based on the additional information you provided, it definitely sounds to me like the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted.
3) Yes, the clutch can simply be adjusted with a 12mm wrench - the nut is on the rod that connects the clutch pedal through the firewall to the clutch master cylinder. You can get to it by laying on the driver's side floor (you'll probably need a flashlight too). Just loosen the locknut and spin the shaft to adjust. Note: the switch on the clutch pedal to the start the car is not affected by adjusting the clutch master cylinder rod length.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-29-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Tags
chatter, clutch, flywheel, horsepower, performance, problem, tranny, transmission