Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Grim
Stock

Grim is on a distinguished road
Default Electronics Compatability Question

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the Supra world and have been doing a lot of research tring to find the best combination of parts for the new Supra TT! Like I said I'm new to the Supra realm but not new to building cars. Most of my projects have been Old school American Muscle but after I purchased a DSM a few years ago I instantly fell in love with boost. I have been looking for a Supra ever since and finally found (and could afford) the car of my dreams. I've owned it for about 6 months now but haven't acually seen it in person yet. My current deployment to Iraq is almost over and I want to have a few things ready for me to tinker with while I'm home on leave. My question is....

I'm looking into the Apexi AVC-R, Apexi SAFC II, BCC, and some form of Wide Band O2 (need help on suggestions with this one). I need opinions on this combination of parts and if any of you have better suggestions for different combinations. Also, If I left anything out in this category please let me know. I'm not ready for a Stand Alone just yet even though this is my plan for the future. If you have any questions please ask and thanks in advance. I can't wait to get home!!! "Scout's Out"
Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the Supra world and have been doing a lot of research tring to find the best combination of parts for the new Supra TT! Like I said I'm new to the Supra realm but not new to building cars. Most of my projects have been Old school American Muscle but after I purchased a DSM a few years ago I instantly fell in love with boost. I have been looking for a Supra ever since and finally found (and could afford) the car of my dreams. I've owned it for about 6 months now but haven't acually seen it in person yet. My current deployment to Iraq is almost over and I want to have a few things ready for me to tinker with while I'm home on leave. My question is....

I'm looking into the Apexi AVC-R, Apexi SAFC II, BCC, and some form of Wide Band O2 (need help on suggestions with this one). I need opinions on this combination of parts and if any of you have better suggestions for different combinations. Also, If I left anything out in this category please let me know. I'm not ready for a Stand Alone just yet even though this is my plan for the future. If you have any questions please ask and thanks in advance. I can't wait to get home!!! "Scout's Out"
Hi Grim,

First: Thanks for your service!

Next, I'd like to make some suggestions that will save you a few bucks, AND allow you to enjoy your Mkiv Supra TT a bit more as you upgrade it. here are my suggestions - please feel free to ask ANY questions that come to mind:
  • I'd skip the A'PEXi SAFC II and the wideband for now. Save that for 'stage II', imho.
  • You left out the GReddy BCC that you'll need to prevent fuel cut, and a downpipe (reduces exhaust backpressure, which allows the turbos to spool quicker AND boost higher).
  • Adjustable cam gears (properly tuned) will get you another 15rwhp
  • If your Mkiv TT doesn't already have an exhaust, that big chrome tip really does add to the looks.
  • If your Mkiv TT doesn't already have aftermarket rims, consider getting a set of wider ones, or widening the stock ones. If you're going to be putting more power to the ground, you don't want to just sit there and spin.
  • That's all that comes to mind before the AFC & wideband. Consider FJO and AEM for the wideband choices. Also, if you're not going to tune it yourself, you really don't need a wideband - you could just skip the wideband and get it dyno-tuned.
  • Also consider a front-mount intercooler - that'll get you another 15rwhp or so.
  • All of that will take you to a good 'BPU+++' stage...at which point you'll want to get a lot of enjoyment out of your car (a year or two?) ... because beyond this point you'll be taking out the oem twin turbos and putting in a big aftermarket single.
Hopefully that's enough info to get this dialog started. Again, feel free to comment and/or ask additional questions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Grim
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Hi Grim,

Next, I'd like to make some suggestions that will save you a few bucks, AND allow you to enjoy your Mkiv Supra TT a bit more as you upgrade it. here are my suggestions - please feel free to ask ANY questions that come to mind:
  • I'd skip the A'PEXi SAFC II and the wideband for now. Save that for 'stage II', imho.
  • You left out the GReddy BCC that you'll need to prevent fuel cut, and a downpipe (reduces exhaust backpressure, which allows the turbos to spool quicker AND boost higher).
  • If your Mkiv TT doesn't already have an exhaust, that big chrome tip really does add to the looks.
  • If your Mkiv TT doesn't already have aftermarket rims, consider getting a set of wider ones, or widening the stock ones. If you're going to be putting more power to the ground, you don't want to just sit there and spin.
  • That's all that comes to mind before the AFC & wideband. Consider FJO and AEM for the wideband choices. Also, if you're not going to tune it yourself, you really don't need a wideband - you could just skip the wideband and get it dyno-tuned.
  • Also consider a front-mount intercooler - that'll get you another 15rwhp or so.
  • All of that will take you to a good 'BPU+++' stage...at which point you'll want to get a lot of enjoyment out of your car (a year or two?) ... because beyond this point you'll be taking out the oem twin turbos and putting in a big aftermarket single.
Hopefully that's enough info to get this dialog started. Again, feel free to comment and/or ask additional questions.

I'm sorry, I should have listed what it has done to it as of now...

Cat-back exhaust system
Air Intake (Although I know this isn't needed until higher levels of Horsepower)
19" Rims w/ 295 wide tires on the back
Full Body Kit and Spoiler

Now, I'm not sure if it has a downpipe on it or not yet but I'll have my Brother check it out. The car has ~53000 miles on it so I know that the 60K maintenance should be done. The timing belt will be a perfect time to change out with the Cam gears. In your experience is there anything I should be looking for or thinking about replacing other then the standard maintenance items? I really can't wait to get started on the car. There are some mustang's, vette's, viper's, M3's and even a lambo that I have a little beef with Now I know there are a few things that need to be done before I'm running with the big boys but I also know the the 2jz is one of, if not the most versatile platform there is. Anyways, I apologize for the wierd post times. Still in Iraq, but I will be home in time for Christmas!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have listed what it has done to it as of now...

Cat-back exhaust system
Air Intake (Although I know this isn't needed until higher levels of Horsepower)
19" Rims w/ 295 wide tires on the back
Full Body Kit and Spoiler

Now, I'm not sure if it has a downpipe on it or not yet but I'll have my Brother check it out. The car has ~53000 miles on it so I know that the 60K maintenance should be done. The timing belt will be a perfect time to change out with the Cam gears. In your experience is there anything I should be looking for or thinking about replacing other then the standard maintenance items? I really can't wait to get started on the car. There are some mustang's, vette's, viper's, M3's and even a lambo that I have a little beef with Now I know there are a few things that need to be done before I'm running with the big boys but I also know the the 2jz is one of, if not the most versatile platform there is. Anyways, I apologize for the wierd post times. Still in Iraq, but I will be home in time for Christmas!
If coolant wasn't changed regularly (according to the oem maintenance schedule), you theoretically could change out your water pump. Other than that (and even that isn't a problem if it's been properly maintained), it's a rock. I know you'll enjoy driving it and upgrading it too.

P.S. Be careful about traction with those 19" rims - having enough sidewall height is critical. If you're running low profile rear tires, don't expect it to do much more than spin when you apply the accelerator.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Grim
Stock

Yes I've heard that the 19" rims weren't great for traction. The side walls on the low profile tires have no flex to them which doesn't allow the tire to grip so well. It ok for now though. Once I start putting down bigger numbers then I'll for sure have to look into something a little stickier for the back. Hey I noticed your out of GA. I may be at Fort Bragg, NC as early as April. Are there any good shops or tracks down around that area? If there is then I know where I'll be spending some of my weekends if I'm not working!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yes I've heard that the 19" rims weren't great for traction. The side walls on the low profile tires have no flex to them which doesn't allow the tire to grip so well. It ok for now though. Once I start putting down bigger numbers then I'll for sure have to look into something a little stickier for the back. Hey I noticed your out of GA. I may be at Fort Bragg, NC as early as April. Are there any good shops or tracks down around that area? If there is then I know where I'll be spending some of my weekends if I'm not working!
Yes, good shops, good tracks, we have both!
Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA), Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA) and Silver Dollar (Reynolds, GA) are a few of the tracks nearby.
Please send me a PM or email (pwpanas (at) gmail.com) if you're in the area.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Grim
Stock

Ya that sounds great. I'll look you up when I get down in that area. I look forward to getting to the tracks. I'll send you a couple pics of the car.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
drewtiss
Stock

drewtiss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Hi Grim,

Next, I'd like to make some suggestions, tips to save gas & a few bucks, AND allow you to enjoy your Mkiv Supra TT a bit more as you upgrade it. here are my suggestions - please feel free to ask ANY questions that come to mind:
My friend was advised by his uncle to have his Mkiv Supra TT turbo charged. Now, is it really highly recommended?
drewtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtiss View Post
My friend was advised by his uncle to have his Mkiv Supra TT turbo charged. Now, is it really highly recommended?
Actually, if your friend has an Mkiv Supra TT, it's already turbocharged. Was this a trick question?

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-20-2008 at 03:16 PM.