Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
toyomeup
Stock

toyomeup is on a distinguished road

ok its been lowered to 24,995. Deal or no deal?
toyomeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
SC Rydah
Stock

SC Rydah is on a distinguished road

No deal...unless you just want a low mileage supra. $25,000 Is DECENT, but you can PROBABLY do better with some more searching.
SC Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #23
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Rydah View Post
7,000 MK4'S IMPORTED TO THE US??!! How could that POSSIBLY be??!! DO YOU THINK THE BIGGEST SUPRA MEETS IN THE U.S - SUPRAS INVADE VEGAS AND SUPRAS INVADE TEXAS - WOULD HAVE SO MANY COME EVERY YEAR IF THERE WERE ONLY 7,000 OF THEM HERE?!...
Numbers don't lie, my friend. Here you go (edit - 7000 TTs ... almost double that if you count n/a's, but still very rare as cars go):
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/s...ail_sales.html

Quote:
...Check the for sale forum. See how many people are selling MK4 TURBOS FOR LESS THAN 30GRAND! They may not have low mileage, but you'd be surprised.
Of course high mileage (>150K miles) MKIVs sell for less than 30 Grand.
Quote:
...But Ethan does have a point. You would get spanked by a V6 Mustang. Not if it was a turbo...but I digress...
A V6 Mustang can't handle twisties like an mkiv (jza80 chassis), turbo or no. So it all depends what you mean by "spanked". The mkiv was designed for roadracing.
Quote:
...You should go ahead and get a used M3 or something else so u can look good in drive fast with low mileage, low maintenenance and be happy with it...because you're not going to race it obviously. That's what Supras were made for. The movies glorified it and made it more desirable, but they were made for racing...
Finally, we sort-of agree on something, as long as we're talking roadracing (i.e. not dragracing - it can do that too, of course, but it requires more extensive mods and imho ruins the car).
Quote:
...If you don't want that, IMHO it's not for you. If you REALLY wanted a Supra, You'd find a cheaper one and not care about the mileage nearly as much because you'd KNOW that it wouldn't matter because of the quality, reliability and potential. You'd KNOW more about the car and wouldn't want to baby it. You want a quick, reliable, good looking $30,000 low mileage coupe? Buy a used 350Z or a Mustang.
Agreed - if all you want to do is go relatively fast in a straight line, an older foxbody mustang would be just fine, and significantly cheaper.

Imho the 350z isn't a great platform for upgrading like the mustang or the mkiv.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-10-2008 at 03:58 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #24
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomeup View Post
ok its been lowered to 24,995. Deal or no deal?
Imho, no. Personally, I'd never look at an n/a. They're nowhere near the total performance package that the TT is. In other words, to turn it into a full TT (including tranny, diff, ignition, abs braking system, calipers, suspension, etc., etc.), you'd need to spend over $10K...and by then you could have simply bought a TT instead. Again, just mho fwiw.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-10-2008 at 04:03 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 AM   #25
SC Rydah
Stock

Default I stand corrected...

The magic phrase for this thread is "IMHO"!!
Ok pwpanas. I see your point. Thanks for straightening me out! lol! But i'm just saying that unless you REALLY want a supra MK4, don't spend money like that on a used car. ESPECIALLY if you're not going to get it to do what it's really made to do...BESIDES drive it on the street, daily or occasionally. There's other NEW and USED cars for that. There are plenty of people who keep good looking, clean STOCK MK3 SUPRA N/A's AND TURBOS in their garages and hardly ever drive them and IMHO, it's sad. But eventually they move, or need space for a new car, or can't afford to keep them and wind up selling them to guys like me.

And I would love to get an MK4, but i'm just as happy for having my used MK3 N/A because I LOVE the idea of buying a car for cheap, getting down, dirty and sweaty using tools, time, patience and minimal funds and making it into something I CAN NEVER BUY FROM THE FACTORY.

Btw toyotameup, i'm not telling you not to get it because I can't get one...yet. I'm just saying that it dosen't make sense to buy a used $25,000-$30,000 sports car that you won't drive often OR modify just to have something rare. It's not a restored classic or a euro exotic uber-expensive car. IMHO, it's something for racers and enthusiasts.

But if you REALLY want it, go for it. Especially since the price dropped. I can see why you - OR ANYBODY - wants a clean, low mileage car. But since PWPANAS' chart shows how rare it really is, I see why you and so many other people - including me - want them. But the performance possibilities make you want (and eventually NEED) to modify them. And THAT'S why there are so many of them modified or "molested" as you say. It's a supercar!!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #26
SC Rydah
Stock

Btw, when I said "spanked by a V6 Mustang", I meant drag racing. OF COURSE A MUSTANG WON'T SPANK A N/A SUPRA IN A ROAD RACE! V6 OR OTHERWISE!! And the 350Z may not be a nice car to modify like the Supra, but it's a nice car to buy NEW or slightly used for $25-$30K. Low maintenance, and reliable (as can be expected from a fairly used) car like he wants. And I totally agree with you about the foxbody on the strip...and exerything else you said PW.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #27
toyomeup
Stock

toyomeup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Btw toyotameup, i'm not telling you not to get it because I can't get one...yet. I'm just saying that it dosen't make sense to buy a used $25,000-$30,000 sports car that you won't drive often

I'll be using it as my daily driver.
toyomeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #28
SC Rydah
Stock

I hope so. Well buy it, have fun and happy motoring.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #29
Sixspeedtalk
Stock

Sixspeedtalk is on a distinguished road
Default buy the turbo !!!!

don't waste the 30 g's on a n/a
Sixspeedtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #30
nathan ferguson
Stock

nathan ferguson is on a distinguished road

it kind of depends, because sometimes less milage cars might have been driven hard for short distances which can make them just as 'precarious' as an adventurous-mobile depends how badly you want the car in all reality... if it's completely flawless and everythings perfect then maybe it's worth it? but a tt for the same money can be not quite as good but still a damn nice car.. depends what you gonna do to it and use it for aswell, whether a 'fun run' on sundays or a everyday car kinda thing.. up to you, good luck either way with it

nath
nathan ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote