Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Swanson View Post
...Turbo's are hard on an engine and are prone to cause more maintenance expense....
For what it's worth, I've seen well-maintained (bone stock) Mkiv TT's with over 200K miles, with no problems with the engine or the oem twins.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Dan Swanson
Stock

Dan Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default Phil

I appreciate your comment regarding turbo supras. I guess I am out of touch with the latest info. I am new to supra forum. I wish that I had found the forum years ago. I sent an e-mail to the moderator a day or two ago complementing on what a good forum it is, and very well run.

Dan
Dan Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Default Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Swanson View Post
I appreciate your comment regarding turbo supras. I guess I am out of touch with the latest info. I am new to supra forum. I wish that I had found the forum years ago. I sent an e-mail to the moderator a day or two ago complementing on what a good forum it is, and very well run.

Dan
We're glad to have you - thank you for your kind words, and your thoughtful post. Do you have an mkiv, or are you interested in possibly getting one?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
toyomeup
Stock

toyomeup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Greg View Post
Well.... If you have 30k that you can invest... then store the car for 10 years and sell for around 50k......

sure buy it...

What do you want to drive ? Do you want a std ? Do you want a faster then stock supra ?Do you Want a turbo ? ( o yes you want a turbo )
Main thing is... 30k is alot of money.. If you were real rich you would not even ask.. YOu just buy it and then sell if you dont like..

But fact you ask.. means 30k is a big investment and you want to make right choise...

have you driven a std & auto ? If not dont buy till you atleast drive both...

Have you driven a stock n/a compaired to a suped up turbo supra ?

Do you even want Red ?

Now you can buy a higher milage car cheaper.. then have moded and rebuilt.. and end up with just a little more in car.. but it will be more to your likeing ...and Rebuilt ready to pound on...

what do you really want ?
It doesnt matter if its stock or turbo I just want a Red supra. how much would it cost to have it rebuilt
toyomeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
toyomeup
Stock

toyomeup is on a distinguished road

I also plan to use this car as a daily driver. Im not going to race it just want a sexy supra to drive daily thats why this low mileage supra appealed to me because I didnt want to worry about high mileage supras and repair costs.
toyomeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
sNowHiTe
Stock

sNowHiTe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

that red supra is for sale down the street from me, i have the white one you may have seen floating around. i've talked to the guy, and driven it. 30 grand is NOT a good deal. if red is your only catch phrase then buy one and paint it YOUR RED because its basically a 98 SE (i like to say "Stripped Edition")
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
SC Rydah
Stock

SC Rydah is on a distinguished road

If I were in the market for a MK4 Supra, I would NOT spend $30,000 DOLLARS on it if it wasn't modified, ESPECIALLY if it wasn't a turbo!! They didn't cost much more than that brand new!! The turbo model was a little over 40 Grand. Correct me if i'm wrong...
SC Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 AM   #18
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road

Every one's thinking of the car in the wrong way. This will be a daily driver not a race car. this car is pretty much brand new and looks great plus its a supra lol just the name makes it special we all know that. $30,000? look around thats alot u could buy lease used M3 for that. But if u want a daily driver that looks sexy but can't back it up buy this car but u will get laughed at when u get ur ass kicked by a V6 stang.
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #19
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Rydah View Post
If I were in the market for a MK4 Supra, I would NOT spend $30,000 DOLLARS on it if it wasn't modified, ESPECIALLY if it wasn't a turbo!! They didn't cost much more than that brand new!! The turbo model was a little over 40 Grand. Correct me if i'm wrong...
The MK4 is a rarer car today than it was in the mid '90s. A low mileage, bone-stock MK4 tt easily goes for $30K+, just because it is so rare (only about 7000 were imported into the US, and at least half are in the junkyard or have been gutted to make racecars).

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-10-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
SC Rydah
Stock

SC Rydah is on a distinguished road

7,000 MK4'S IMPORTED TO THE US??!! How could that POSSIBLY be??!! DO YOU THINK THE BIGGEST SUPRA MEETS IN THE U.S - SUPRAS INVADE VEGAS AND SUPRAS INVADE TEXAS - WOULD HAVE SO MANY COME EVERY YEAR IF THERE WERE ONLY 7,000 OF THEM HERE?!

Check the for sale forum. See how many people are selling MK4 TURBOS FOR LESS THAN 30GRAND! They may not have low mileage, but you'd be surprised. But Ethan does have a point. You would get spanked by a V6 Mustang. Not if it was a turbo...but I digress.

You should go ahead and get a used M3 or something else so u can look good in drive fast with low mileage, low maintenenance and be happy with it...because you're not going to race it obviously. That's what Supras were made for. The movies glorified it and made it more desirable, but they were made for racing.

If you don't want that, IMHO it's not for you. If you REALLY wanted a Supra, You'd find a cheaper one and not care about the mileage nearly as much because you'd KNOW that it wouldn't matter because of the quality, reliability and potential. You'd KNOW more about the car and wouldn't want to baby it. You want a quick, reliable, good looking $30,000 low mileage coupe? Buy a used 350Z or a Mustang.
SC Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote