Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

Twin Turbo '95 is on a distinguished road

damn. and here i thought a aftermarket piston would hold up a bit better..

i poked around and read a shit load of topics(again.. read all of them )

TO4R.COM

ok he says what happened. hose of the wastegate popped off.

TO4R.COM

he didnt say what happend.
IMHO. i think it would be something too do with the heat in the desert.. pre ignition.

TO4R.COM

he ran a bit lean.

NOTE: they all had a piston 6 meltdown. not any other. 3 guys. same pistons. different reasons. imho. I think that if i get the fueling right for the #6 piston then it'll be ok once i start modifying it
Twin Turbo '95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo '95 View Post
damn. and here i thought a aftermarket piston would hold up a bit better..

i poked around and read a shit load of topics(again.. read all of them )

TO4R.COM

ok he says what happened. hose of the wastegate popped off...
In other words, he ran too much boost for the octane of fuel he had in the tank. I'd bet any money that if he'd have been running pure 116 octane race fuel, his engine would have been in perfect condition afterwards. My guess is that he was probably running pump gas...
Quote:
...TO4R.COM

he didnt say what happend.
IMHO. i think it would be something too do with the heat in the desert.. pre ignition...
Although external heat is a factor, the engine won't pre-ignite or detonate even on the hottest day, if you're running a sufficient octane level to match the boost level.
Quote:
...TO4R.COM

he ran a bit lean. ...
Yep bad tuning will kill you every time. For what it's worth, I already mentioned this in post#2, above.

Quote:
...NOTE: they all had a piston 6 meltdown. not any other. 3 guys. same pistons. different reasons. imho. I think that if i get the fueling right for the #6 piston then it'll be ok once i start modifying it
You're sort-of on track. The problem is not the fact that #6 isn't getting enough fuel. The problem is that #6 is getting too much air, because the oem intake plenum is not designed for high boost (eg. 750rwhp+). This is why all big turbo'd mkivs run aftermarket intake plenums (along with race fuel, and proper tuning).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-02-2008 at 03:14 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 AM   #13
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
You're sort-of on track.
lol. well thats good to know. I noticed that the supra has a sie mounted intercooler. would it be wise to make it a fmic from the start?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

I was talking to the guy who is importing the supra. he said he can get a me 6 spd targa? where there factory 6 spd supras with targa tops or was it some guy with an automatic that did a conversion. because if its a conversoin there no way im buying it. i also told him a BONE stock supra. and if he can get a quicksilver supra. i would love it! i read that there where only 27 made?? any truth to this??
Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
lol. well thats good to know. I noticed that the supra has a sie mounted intercooler. would it be wise to make it a fmic from the start?
The oem smic (side mount intercooler) is quite efficient, and matches the oem twins at stock boost levels quite well. You can pick up about 15-20rwhp using an fmic with the oem twins, but only at bpu+++ on high boost and race fuel.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I was talking to the guy who is importing the supra. he said he can get a me 6 spd targa? where there factory 6 spd supras with targa tops or was it some guy with an automatic that did a conversion. because if its a conversoin there no way im buying it. i also told him a BONE stock supra. and if he can get a quicksilver supra. i would love it! i read that there where only 27 made?? any truth to this??
My mkiv tt just so happens to be a factory 6 spd with a targa, ... so yep, they really do exist.

33 quicksilver mkivs were imported into the US. I'd guess there were at least as many in the rest of the world outside of Japan, if not a lot more...and probably many dozens if not hundreds within Japan.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-06-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #17
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
My mkiv is a factory 6 spd with a targa, so yep they exist.

33 quicksilver mkivs were imported into the US. I'd guess there were at least as many in the rest of the world outside of Japan, if not a lot more...and probably many dozens if not hundreds within Japan.
ah so there where 6 spd targa's made. awesome! because i can get one but if its a conversion I'm not going for it.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #18
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

1993/6 TOYOTA SUPRA RZ Twin Turbo 6MT- Kms: 93,000

TWIN TURBO 6MT, One Owner Car, 17" Rayz Volk Racing Rims, A/M Exhaust, Ultra Turbo Timer, Adzest CD Deck with 10 Stacker in Boot. Apart from some paint fade on the bonnet the rest of the body is in excellent condition. The interior is very clean and all the electrics are in good working order. The car has had a front accident repair which after inspection is clean and straight. The repair was to the front cross member and inner panels. This RZ Twin Turbo 6MT Supra has a lovely set of Rims and the interior and exterior are about as clean as they come. The engine sounds good and overall this car is a great package.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road

Where are you importing it from? What company are you using or buying from? I am interested because my brother is looking for a honda from japan a real right hand drive so if your gets here in good time, and is a really good car I would like him to buy from the company you used. I had some one I knew buy a car over seas and it never showed up so I don't want to get a case like that.
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #20
Twin Turbo '95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprabahamut View Post
Where are you importing it from? What company are you using or buying from? I am interested because my brother is looking for a honda from japan a real right hand drive so if your gets here in good time, and is a really good car I would like him to buy from the company you used. I had some one I knew buy a car over seas and it never showed up so I don't want to get a case like that.
I know a guy in south africa who does it for me.. and he uses an agent to get the cars. i will get his email address for you and post it. I will have it by monday