Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
okay when my version of road racing is like, u know in like 2 fast 2 furious. that first race thats wut im ging to do with it, and prolly drag for fun.
So you're seriously going to jump partially open drawbridges???? If so, a monster truck might be a better choice of ride...

Let's start this way: Please answer these two questions:
  1. Will you be turning corners while you're racing? (i.e. during the race, do you have to do multiple high-speed turns?)
  2. Will you be racing from a dead stop, or from a roll, or both?
Quote:
...oh and another question i found alot of supras on autotrader that were in my price range they were non turbo and non targa. how hard is it to make it into a SIMALAR set up like the tt and wut is targa? and wuts a safe amount of boost on pump gas?
Targa is the removable roof...like T-tops, but all one piece.

Unfortunately, to me, there's nothing similar to an Mkiv Supra TT. Just mho. You can try going over to the DSM forums and ask about a turbo'd awd eclipse I guess...

On 93 octane pump gas you can safely/reliably run about 15psi, with an mkiv tt using an unmodified oem ecu to control the engine.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #22
mhsfootball0888
Stock

mhsfootball0888 is on a distinguished road

so its not a good idea not to buy a supra that isn't a turbo, dang those are alot more expensive. and wut about if i did get one how wud i go about putting a turbo in it. and u didn't answer my other question. how hard is it to turn an automatic to a manual if i got a non turbo, because most of the automatics were non turbo?
mhsfootball0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #23
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
so its not a good idea not to buy a supra that isn't a turbo, dang those are alot more expensive...
Sure, but just ask yourself why you want an Mkiv Supra TT. I'd suggest probably because the Mkiv Supra TT is a rare & amazing GT sportscar. You don't really honestly expect you'd be able to get a rare & amazing GT sportscar for cheap, do you? In other words, this car has held its value well in the market because it has proven itself to be an exceptionally capable high-performance vehicle. That said, you still can find them for a fair price, if you've got cash in-hand and you're ready to fly to another city check out the car as soon as it comes on the market...
Quote:
...and wut about if i did get one how wud i go about putting a turbo in it...
Several suppliers sell normally-aspirated to turbo (n/a-T) conversion kits for the Mkiv Supra. Here's an example:
http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/supr...oKitStage2.htm
...note that this kit alone won't make an n/a Mkiv Supra into a full oem Mkiv TT Supra, since the transmission, differential, brakes, suspension, etc., etc. are all better performing components equipped on the full oem Mkiv TT Supra.
Quote:
...how hard is it to turn an automatic to a manual...
Here's an article on turning an auto into a 6spd:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/aut...wap/index.html
...it's a hard job and it'll probably cost you between $5k and $10k depending a lot on where you get the parts (new or used) and how much of the work you do yourself versus paying a good shop to do the work for you.

Note that if you're going to be drag racing, an auto mkiv supra tt is faster and more consistent than one with a 6spd. Although I confess I still don't understand how you'll be racing this car (jumping drawbridges? - see the two questions from my previous post), it's possible that you'd actually be making the car slower for your application by converting it to a 6spd...

Quote:
...because most of the automatics were non turbo?
Not that it really matters, but what you're saying isn't accurate. Most of the Mkiv Supras with automatics were in fact, twin-turbo:
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/s...ail_sales.html
Out of all of the 5,111 autos sold in the US, 2,939 of them (57.5% of them) were TT's.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #24
mhsfootball0888
Stock

Lightbulb

wut i was talking about is wut if i got a supra that was a non turbo and an AUTOMATIC, how hard wut it be to put a turbo in it and turn it into a manual? the reason im asking is that i was planning on spending sum money on the suspension/handeling anyways so why not get sumthing that cost a little less and that i cud spnd a little of time on? or is it not worth the money?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #25
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
wut i was talking about is wut if i got a supra that was a non turbo and an AUTOMATIC, how hard wut it be to put a turbo in it and turn it into a manual?
Please read my previous post. I already answered that question, with these two links:
  1. http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/supr...oKitStage2.htm
  2. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/aut...wap/index.html
Here's a quote from the first link:
Quote:
This kit contains everything you need to convert your Non Turbo MKIV Supra ... into a turbo charged sleeper.
...and here's a quote from the 2nd link:
Quote:
This is a guide for Automatic to 6-speed transmission conversion for the 93-98 Supra...
I don't know how I can make it any simpler for you...
Quote:
...the reason im asking is that i was planning on spending sum money on the suspension/handeling anyways so why not get sumthing that cost a little less and that i cud spnd a little of time on? or is it not worth the money?
Again, na->t kit $5K + install (~$2k). Auto->manual swap $5k-$10k. That's $12k-$17k for those two changes. If you're lucky, you'll find an n/a mkiv auto in good shape for $15k. After the swaps you mentioned, you'll probably be up to $27k, which is more than enough to get an Mkiv TT in good shape (probably one with a 6spd too).

I still don't know why you want a manual tranny if you're going to be racing from a dead stop...auto is faster.

Also, some "suspension/handling" mods will make your car slower when racing from a dead stop. All the racing in f&f 1&2 was from a dead stop, right?

If you're serious about roadracing (i.e. the art of high speed turns), then plan to take some driving lessons at a local roadrace track. A good roadracer in a crappy/slow car will consistently & totally embarrass an amateur in a "fast" car when roadracing.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-30-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
mhsfootball0888
Stock

did they make a supra that was non turbo 5speed? and was targa?http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=1&cardist=223
also i was going to give him 10,500 for it becaus eof all the miles, shud i find a wrecked supra to replace the engine or keep the one thats in and rebuild it and put a turbo in it?

Last edited by mhsfootball0888; 01-30-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
did they make a supra that was non turbo 5speed? and was targa?http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=1&cardist=223
I already posted this link too, which will answer your question and anything similar:

http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/sales_numbers/retail_sales.html

Quote:
also i was going to give him 10,500 for it becaus eof all the miles
For what it's worth, I really doubt that Cosmo Motors will go down that much on the price. In fact, I'd probably bet my life on it rofl.

Quote:
shud i find a wrecked supra to replace the engine or keep the one thats in and rebuild it and put a turbo in it?
Why would you want to "rebuild it"? As far as I can tell, the advertisement doesn't say that the current engine is blown...

Either way, ime, it'll cost you about $7K for that one change alone...and (like I already posted) you still won't have the transmission, differential, or braking that you'd get if you started with an mkiv tt in the first place.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-30-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
mhsfootball0888
Stock

go look at the car u think its worth it?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #29
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I already answered that too. If you want an Mkiv TT, it'll cost more for you to convert it than it would cost you to start out with one. $15,995 + $5K+ for an na->T kit and you still don't have anywhere near the vehicle that you'd have gotten by getting an Mkiv TT in the first place...

Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #30
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I have to go based on what you've already said about your performance goals, and what I believe that Cosmo Motors will take for that car. I believe you'll spend less money overall, and end up with a more suitable vehicle for you needs, if you go for an Mkiv TT to begin with. In other words, no, imho probably not.

Please keep us informed as to what you end up doing...

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-03-2007 at 04:56 PM.