Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
so u guys think tell me if im wrong. buy a supra tt, "bpu" it out (exhaust, downpipe, boost controler,ect.)...
Yep, all good so far, except you forgot the GReddy BCC to eliminate fuel cut when you raise your boost. I know you said "ect." (meaning 'etc.'?), but this device is critical.

Also, in my experience, the exhaust is optional at 'bpu' level. It might look cool, but it won't make you any noticeable amount of additional power until you're trying to push more than just bpu.

Quote:
...i looked under the "bpu" site and i was wondering if i got a supra tt should i replace the turbo...
Do you mean "replace the turboS"? Why do you think that you might want to replace them? Again, the stock twin (i.e. two) turbos are good to about 425rwhp or more (6spd) with high boost & race fuel. Of course, this is only true if the Mkiv Supra TT that you purchase is in good working condition.

Quote:
...oh and does the tt cum wit an intercooler...
Yes, the Mkiv Supra TT does already "cum wit" an oem (side-mount) intercooler.

Quote:
...shud i upgrade anything else, like in the cooling system. like the water pump, radiator,ect...
Nope all that is just fine oem - there's no need to upgrade these items if you're going to drag race & daily drive.

Quote:
...is a boost controler like a guage like a tach or is an actual cpu?...
A boost controller is a device that allows you to control your boost, by changing when your wastegate opens. Some boost controllers come with a boost gauge, or you can purchase a boost gauge separately.

You can even go with a mechanical boost controller that definitely does not have a gauge and it also does not have a cpu. It just controls your boost.

Also note that you can very cheaply raise your boost by simply clamping off one hose! Obviously this method of controlling your boost also doesn't have any gauge, nor does it have a cpu...it's just a ten cent hose clamp!

Quote:
...oh and suspension wise is there anything that needs to be upgraded beside lowering.
Why do you think you need to lower your Supra? The stock suspension works quite well for both drag racing and roadracing. In fact, many suspension changes are actually designed to improve roadracing/autocross performance only, and would make the car slower for drag racing.

If you really must to dump a ton of cash on your suspension for no reason whatsoever (since you're still talkin' 425rwhp+, right?), then you could purchase HKS' drag coilovers...

Don't forget to budget a good chunk of $ for simple maintenance on your car. Z-rated tires (costing $300+ each), timing belt change (if necessary), new coilpacks & harmonic dampener (depending on the mileage of the Supra you buy), synthetic oil changes, etc. all cost much more than any 'regular' car. Never forget that you'll be purchasing a $50K+ GT sportscar, and it costs much more to maintain than a corolla or a civic...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 02:04 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
mhsfootball0888
Stock

mhsfootball0888 is on a distinguished road
Default anything?

so basically bpu out a supra and im set. anyhting else?
mhsfootball0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
so basically bpu out a supra and im set. anyhting else?
If you want a good launch from a dead stop, you'll need some good drag radials (I strongly recommend BFG and not Nitto).

If you want a great launch, you might need to consider aftermarket wider-than-stock rear rims, so you can get a wider drag radial. You can fit an 11.5" wide rear rim and 315-width rubber inside the oem rear fender if you trim the fender lip a bit... (the oem rear rim is only 9.5" wide).

If you still have some $ left over after proper maintenance to your Supra and your bpu modifications, then I think nitrous is a good option. Imo, go ahead and put that $ towards getting a good 'wet' nitrous setup (with all of the electronic controls for rpm, wot, purge, heater, in-dash gauges, etc.), getting it installed properly, testing it and tuning it on the dyno. You might save this step for after you've got some experience drag racing your bpu mkiv tt.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
mhsfootball0888
Stock

heres a good question, say i want to run cooler, any suggestions? lol i was looking at sum tt's the cheapest on is 29,000 but most of the work is already done. i was wondering is if went to the junk yard and pulled one out wud it be worth my time and money. or shud i just keep searching. cuz i found a couple supras in my price range but they had alot of miles on them. 150+

Last edited by mhsfootball0888; 01-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
heres a good question, say i want to run cooler, any suggestions? lol
Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean cooler-looking? ...or cooler temperatures (as in engine/oil/coolant)? ...or are you talking about better air conditioning inside the cockpit?

If you're talking about cooler-looking, then a good set of aftermarket rims, and a nice 'catback' exhaust system will add a lot to the looks of the car. You could also upgrade the stereo too, since the oem Mkiv Stereo uses sound system technology from the early '90s. Again, be sure those aftermarket rims are a lot wider than stock (imo at least 11" wide in the rear), in order to get better traction for drag racing. For more advice on looks/bling, let's wait and see exactly what we're working with after you purchase your Supra...

Quote:
...i was looking at sum tt's the cheapest on is 29,000 but most of the work is already done. i was wondering is if went to the junk yard and pulled one out wud it be worth my time and money. or shud i just keep searching. cuz i found a couple supras in my price range but they had alot of miles on them. 150+
For what it's worth I say keep looking. Fixing up a wrecked Mkiv Supra Turbo properly will be very, very expensive. Don't forget this isn't a pickup truck or a geo metro. It's an ultra-high-performance GT sportscar. For example, if you take a written-off Mkiv Supra TT to bubba down the street to pull and weld the frame, then to bubba's 'kissin-cuzin's ex-husband' for bodywork&paint, it's very doubtful that you'd end up with anything close to the reliable high performance capability as a 'good' (un-wrecked) Mkiv TT.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
mhsfootball0888
Stock

wut i was talking about when i said cooler was like engine tempetures
Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
wut i was talking about when i said cooler was like engine tempetures
If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you want to run cooler engine temperatures? In other words, what on earth would make you think that the Mkiv Supra Turbo's oem engine cooling system is anything but more than capable enough to keep the engine sufficiently cool?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #18
mhsfootball0888
Stock

idk. u know heat the enemy of engines. idk if i was road racing at high speed wouldn' t ur engine get really hott. i was just wondering if i cud get it to run cooler so i dont have to worry about a blown engine
Old 01-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
idk. u know heat the enemy of engines.
True, but it's also true that you can't make power without heat. So I guess that means that heat is the "enemy of engines" but the friend of horsepower?

Quote:
idk if i was road racing at high speed...
Whoa...hold on there...you're going to "road race" this car too? This is the first time you mentioned roadracing in this thread. If you're going to seriously roadrace too, then sure, you might be able to take advantage of some cooling system and suspension upgrades. This is one of the reasons I was asking those questions earlier. If you don't answer it, please don't expect accurate advice. Here it is again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
What type of "street" racing do you want to "smack" vipers, etc. in: From a roll on the highway? From a dead stop? 1/4 mile? 1/8 mile? Any turns/drifting/twisties? etc....
Quote:
...wouldn' t ur engine get really hott.
The oem cooling system is very good. In other words, no (given everything else we've discussed in this thread for your application & setup).

Quote:
...i was just wondering if i cud get it to run cooler so i dont have to worry about a blown engine
You'll only blow your engine if you run too much boost on pump gas. Upgrading your radiator (for example) won't prevent that...

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
mhsfootball0888
Stock

okay when my version of road racing is like, u know in like 2 fast 2 furious. that first race thats wut im ging to do with it, and prolly drag for fun. oh and another question i found alot of supras on autotrader that were in my price range they were non turbo and non targa. how hard is it to make it into a SIMALAR set up like the tt and wut is targa? and wuts a safe amount of boost on pump gas? oh and alot of the supras i found were automatic, how hard is it to turn them into manuals

Last edited by mhsfootball0888; 01-29-2007 at 05:02 PM.