View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #23
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
so its not a good idea not to buy a supra that isn't a turbo, dang those are alot more expensive...
Sure, but just ask yourself why you want an Mkiv Supra TT. I'd suggest probably because the Mkiv Supra TT is a rare & amazing GT sportscar. You don't really honestly expect you'd be able to get a rare & amazing GT sportscar for cheap, do you? In other words, this car has held its value well in the market because it has proven itself to be an exceptionally capable high-performance vehicle. That said, you still can find them for a fair price, if you've got cash in-hand and you're ready to fly to another city check out the car as soon as it comes on the market...
Quote:
...and wut about if i did get one how wud i go about putting a turbo in it...
Several suppliers sell normally-aspirated to turbo (n/a-T) conversion kits for the Mkiv Supra. Here's an example:
http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/supr...oKitStage2.htm
...note that this kit alone won't make an n/a Mkiv Supra into a full oem Mkiv TT Supra, since the transmission, differential, brakes, suspension, etc., etc. are all better performing components equipped on the full oem Mkiv TT Supra.
Quote:
...how hard is it to turn an automatic to a manual...
Here's an article on turning an auto into a 6spd:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/aut...wap/index.html
...it's a hard job and it'll probably cost you between $5k and $10k depending a lot on where you get the parts (new or used) and how much of the work you do yourself versus paying a good shop to do the work for you.

Note that if you're going to be drag racing, an auto mkiv supra tt is faster and more consistent than one with a 6spd. Although I confess I still don't understand how you'll be racing this car (jumping drawbridges? - see the two questions from my previous post), it's possible that you'd actually be making the car slower for your application by converting it to a 6spd...

Quote:
...because most of the automatics were non turbo?
Not that it really matters, but what you're saying isn't accurate. Most of the Mkiv Supras with automatics were in fact, twin-turbo:
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/s...ail_sales.html
Out of all of the 5,111 autos sold in the US, 2,939 of them (57.5% of them) were TT's.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-29-2007 at 11:23 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote