Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
jza80rz
Stock

jza80rz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Just count the flashes, as it describes in the tech article:

"The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected. When 2 or more codes are indicated, the lowest number (code) will appear first. "

i dont have the data link?
jza80rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80rz View Post

"The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected. When 2 or more codes are indicated, the lowest number (code) will appear first. "

i dont have the data link?
If you've got an mk4 supra, you've got a data link connector. It's below your steering wheel, partially under the dash, to the left (on us-spec mk4s).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-04-2009 at 01:32 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
jza80rz
Stock

Quote:
If you've got an mk4 supra, you've got a data link connector. It's below your steering wheel, partially under the dash, to the left (on us-spec mk4s).
I know but i dont have the "thing" to plug into it so i can read the codes... nor can i get my hands on one.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I know but i dont have the "thing" to plug into it so i can read the codes... nor can i get my hands on one.
You don't need to plug a "thing" into it. Just bridge the two pins indicated with a wire or a paper clip! That's what the article means when it says:
"2. Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2."
(if you needed an OBD-reader, the article would probably have mentioned that. )

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-06-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
jza80rz
Stock

ok i connected the terminals up and ran a diagnosis.. the result was weird:

i was expecting all those lights would blink etc but it didnt, that problem has pretty much gone away for a while now.

however just yesterday a different light came on it was the engine warning light.

so yeh i ran the diag and the engine warning light blinked in this sequence

( blink - blink blink blink ) and yeh kept repeating that, should i have waited longer?

so what sthe problem?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
ok i connected the terminals up and ran a diagnosis.. the result was weird:

i was expecting all those lights would blink etc but it didnt, that problem has pretty much gone away for a while now.

however just yesterday a different light came on it was the engine warning light.

so yeh i ran the diag and the engine warning light blinked in this sequence

( blink - blink blink blink ) and yeh kept repeating that, should i have waited longer?

so what sthe problem?
Looks like you have a code 13. Did you look that up in the tech article?

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-18-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #17
jza80rz
Stock

Quote:
Looks like you have a code 13. Did you look that up in the tech article?
yeh i did, i didnt know what i could do about it though.. then the next day the light dissapeared never to be seen again.. all this stuff is starting to annoy me.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
yeh i did, i didnt know what i could do about it though.. then the next day the light dissapeared never to be seen again.. all this stuff is starting to annoy me.
Engine codes will disappear when they no longer occur (they still stayed stored in the ecu though).

Car owners that don't have the patience to methodically go through the troubleshooting steps usually end up taking their cars to a mechanic to get work done. On the other hand, if you're interested in learning how to do all of it yourself, we'll get you pointed in the right direction...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Piggy808
Stock

Piggy808 is on a distinguished road

sorry I know this is an old thread...I only got the O2 sensor error code...cleaned the connector and that was fixed...i replaced the sensor anyway lol...so now the CEL just blinks at me...but the car bogs at lower rpm...no real improvement to the car...do I have to clear the ecu codes?
Piggy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy808 View Post
sorry I know this is an old thread...I only got the O2 sensor error code...cleaned the connector and that was fixed...i replaced the sensor anyway lol...so now the CEL just blinks at me...but the car bogs at lower rpm...no real improvement to the car...do I have to clear the ecu codes?
No, something is still wrong with your car - that's why the CEL is blinking. Based on the symptoms, I'd guess a boost leak in your intercooler piping.