Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Chomper
Stock

Chomper is on a distinguished road
Default Engine light and warning light on.

I don't know why my engine and warning light is on. Its been on for about a month now. The engine started to die on me about a week ago. It sometimes idle very low when not stepping on gas and even the engine dies once in a while. Can anyone tell me whats going on? I'm planning to fix my car before I sell it.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
bpalmer21
Intake

bpalmer21 is on a distinguished road

If you live by a schucks, auto zone. etc. Go get it tested and see what the code is that is causing the light to come on. They should do it for free, then someone on here could point you in the right direction.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper
I don't know why my engine and warning light is on. Its been on for about a month now. The engine started to die on me about a week ago. It sometimes idle very low when not stepping on gas and even the engine dies once in a while. Can anyone tell me whats going on? I'm planning to fix my car before I sell it.
If your MK4 is a '93, '94 or '95, you can also check the code by yourself for free:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
Chomper
Stock

Default check engine light

I'm having a hard time finding te1 and te. Where are they located? ARe they on the ECM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
If your MK4 is a '93, '94 or '95, you can also check the code by yourself for free:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html
Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding te1 and te. Where are they located? ARe they on the ECM?
No...look for the OBD diagnostic port under the dash, by the door on the driver's side. There's also another diagnostic port at the back (firewall) side of the engine bay, above the downpipe.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-06-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
Chomper
Stock

Default check light

That was stupid of me. I thought it would be like hondas, by ecu. I found it and the code seems to be 21. That means its the oxygen sensor? should I just replace it? Do you know if it can cause the low idling problem, or is that something else?

thanks for your help

Quote:
No...look for the OBD diagnostic port under the dash, by the door on the driver's side. There's also another diagnostic port at the back (firewall) side of the engine bay, above the downpipe.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...the code seems to be 21. That means its the oxygen sensor? should I just replace it?...
According to the documention, the problem is either:
Quote:
Open or short in heater circuit of main heated oxygen sensor (Fr) for 0.5 sec. or more.

Possible trouble areas are:
  • Open or short in heater circuit of main heated oxygen sensor.
  • Main heated oxygen sensor heater
  • ECM
....OR....

Quote:
Main heated oxygen sensor signal voltage is reduced to between 0.35V and 0.70V for 60 sec. under condition
a) ~ (d). (2 trip detection logic)

a). Engine coolant temp.: Between 80° C (176°F) and 95°C (203°F)
b). Engine speed: 1,500 rpm or more
c). Load driving (EX. A/T in overdrive (5th for M/T), A/C ON, Flat road, 50 mph <80 km/h>)
d). Main heated oxygen sensor signal voltage: Alternating above and below 0.45 V.

Possible trouble areas are:
  • Main heated oxygen sensor circuit
  • Main heated oxygen sensor
Simply replacing the O2 sensor might or might not fix the problem(s). In theory, the problem could also be in the wiring or the ecu itself. In other words, it's hit and miss if you start swapping parts without going through the proper troubleshooting procedures. In order to do this troubleshooting properly, you'd need a copy of the TSRMs (Toyota Supra Repair Manuals), and you'd need to follow ALL of the troubleshooting/diagnostic steps for each of the possible trouble areas listed above.

For what it's worth, if you're going to be working on your own Supra, I have to strongly recommend that you pick up your own copy of the TSRMs. They will literally pay for themselves several times over, which makes them an excellent investment.

One last observation: if your Supra has more than 100K miles on it, and especially if it has more than 150K miles on it, and your primary/main O2 sensor is the one that came with the car when it was new, I'd suggest you replace your primary O2 sensor regardless...
Quote:
...Do you know if it can cause the low idling problem...
Yes, it could be responsible for low idling, due to the likely-inaccurate O2 sensor readings being passed back to the ecu in closed-loop.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-06-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Chomper
Stock

Default problem

Yeah, I will probably replace the O2 sensor to see if thats the case. If its not, like you said, it might be time for a O2 replacement anyways. i'll do the replacement and hopefully thats the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Quote:
According to the documention, the problem is either:[/list]....OR....
[/list]Simply replacing the O2 sensor might or might not fix the problem(s). In theory, the problem could also be in the wiring or the ecu itself. In other words, it's hit and miss if you start swapping parts without going through the proper troubleshooting procedures. In order to do this troubleshooting properly, you'd need a copy of the TSRMs (Toyota Supra Repair Manuals), and you'd need to follow ALL of the troubleshooting/diagnostic steps for each of the possible trouble areas listed above.

For what it's worth, if you're going to be working on your own Supra, I have to strongly recommend that you pick up your own copy of the TSRMs. They will literally pay for themselves several times over, which makes them an excellent investment.

One last observation: if your Supra has more than 100K miles on it, and especially if it has more than 150K miles on it, and your primary/main O2 sensor is the one that came with the car when it was new, I'd suggest you replace your primary O2 sensor regardless...
Yes, it could be responsible for low idling, due to the likely-inaccurate O2 sensor readings being passed back to the ecu in closed-loop.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
supraman08
Stock

supraman08 is on a distinguished road
Default similar queary

my problem sounds very similar ,, but my engine and warning light isnt always on .. it will come on when i have been driving for a while , or somtimes when i really get into it , sometimes it doesnt come on at all , could this mean that the o2 sensor is almost stuffed ?
supraman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman08 View Post
my problem sounds very similar ,, but my engine and warning light isnt always on .. it will come on when i have been driving for a while , or somtimes when i really get into it , sometimes it doesnt come on at all , could this mean that the o2 sensor is almost stuffed ?
Honestly, it sounds more like a boost leak. Have you checked for this?