Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV FAQ (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-faq/)
-   -   Check Engine Light & Warning light on (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-faq/6876-check-engine-light-and-warning-light-on.html)

Chomper 11-23-2006 12:11 AM

Check Engine Light & Warning light on

I don't know why my check engine light and warning light (on top of speedometer) are on. I have a 93 na supra. The first time they came on for about 10 secs then turned back off. The next day after, it turned on continously. Today I thought I felt the engine idling wierd at a stop. Can anyone please help me out with this?

SupraDupra 11-23-2006 07:02 AM

Almost sounds like an O2 sensor on it's way out ,but before you run off and buy one you should get the diagnostic codes from the car to be sure.

pwpanas 11-24-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chomper
I don't know why my check engine light and warning light (on top of speedometer) are on. I have a 93 na supra. The first time they came on for about 10 secs then turned back off. The next day after, it turned on continously. Today I thought I felt the engine idling wierd at a stop. Can anyone please help me out with this?

You should be able to check the code using this procedure:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

geoff 07-02-2007 07:18 AM

Check Engine Light & Warning light on

hello mine did the same yesterday and when it started it felt like it was misfiring then when i turned it of and back on it was ok should i go down the same check list as you suggested ?
thanks for the help

pwpanas 07-02-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff
hello mine did the same yesterday and when it started it felt like it was misfiring then when i turned it of and back on it was ok should i go down the same check list as you suggested ?

Did your check engine light come on when it was misfiring?

geoff 07-02-2007 12:46 PM

light

yes the red light in the middle of the rpm stayed on and the engin light stayed on i have taken the car back to the place i got it from and they are going to check the ecu on saturday

looks like you were spot on m8t thanx for all your help

jza80rz 03-29-2009 05:06 AM

engine warning light :(

i too have the same problem, but not only does that light go on but others aswell including oil light, battery light, i think heating? (looks like a cat with heat waves coming out) and i think rear lights..

first of its very weird because i know the car has been serviced reguarly by toyota, i recently bought the car and yeh shes mechanically A1 besides the lights which only come on every now and again..

i was browsing around and came across this.. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

"The ECM stores the code(s) until it is cleared by removing the EFI No. 1 fuse with the ignition switch off."

First off i know that oil is fresh as i change it every 3000kms with motul chono v, and replace the oil filter and use e30 engine treatment. and i know the oil is at the right level.

next is if that cat symbol with the heatwaves means coolant/overheating thats impossible because the cars temp gauge does not show any overheating, however though when i do turn the car of i hear gargling sounds.. coming from the coolant pipes. if anyone has something to add on that please do.

with the rear light symbol, i guess thats my rear lights which work well except for the small centre brake light with the leds, i have about 4 which arnt working but im pretty sure that shouldnt show up as a fault?

and battery, car starts up fine everytime, alternator is good.. though i do have a sub connected (previous owners) maybe some faulty wiring.

Ok, this is what im planning to do..

oil change & new oil filter plus e30 engine treatment and oil flush
coolant flush, then coolant chnage and bleed out any bubbles
spark plugs iridium ngk's im thinking BKR6EIX-11
flush brake fluid via bleeding, then new dot 4 fluid
transmission oil change castrol vmx, with nulon g70 treatment additive
and last but not least air filter clean

after all this i plan to disconnect the battery, then reconnect it start her take her for a spin.. and if i still get the warning lights ill refer to "The ECM stores the code(s) until it is cleared by removing the EFI No. 1 fuse with the ignition switch off." and give that a go.. if the lights still come on im screwed guys :(

PLEASE DO add any suggestions or comments!

pwpanas 03-30-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jza80rz (Post 68388)
i too have the same problem, but not only does that light go on but others aswell including oil light, battery light, i think heating? (looks like a cat with heat waves coming out) and i think rear lights..

first of its very weird because i know the car has been serviced reguarly by toyota, i recently bought the car and yeh shes mechanically A1 besides the lights which only come on every now and again..

i was browsing around and came across this.. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

"The ECM stores the code(s) until it is cleared by removing the EFI No. 1 fuse with the ignition switch off."

First off i know that oil is fresh as i change it every 3000kms with motul chono v, and replace the oil filter and use e30 engine treatment. and i know the oil is at the right level.

next is if that cat symbol with the heatwaves means coolant/overheating thats impossible because the cars temp gauge does not show any overheating, however though when i do turn the car of i hear gargling sounds.. coming from the coolant pipes. if anyone has something to add on that please do.

with the rear light symbol, i guess thats my rear lights which work well except for the small centre brake light with the leds, i have about 4 which arnt working but im pretty sure that shouldnt show up as a fault?

and battery, car starts up fine everytime, alternator is good.. though i do have a sub connected (previous owners) maybe some faulty wiring.

Ok, this is what im planning to do..

oil change & new oil filter plus e30 engine treatment and oil flush
coolant flush, then coolant chnage and bleed out any bubbles
spark plugs iridium ngk's im thinking BKR6EIX-11
flush brake fluid via bleeding, then new dot 4 fluid
transmission oil change castrol vmx, with nulon g70 treatment additive
and last but not least air filter clean

after all this i plan to disconnect the battery, then reconnect it start her take her for a spin.. and if i still get the warning lights ill refer to "The ECM stores the code(s) until it is cleared by removing the EFI No. 1 fuse with the ignition switch off." and give that a go.. if the lights still come on im screwed guys :(

PLEASE DO add any suggestions or comments!

Gurgling means air in the coolant system. It'll either bleed itself out (if you fill your overflow tank), or you've got a leak somewhere.

The taillights will show a fault if a bulb is burned out, or if the bulb used is the incorrect resistance.

Don't clear the code(s) - these are the keys to fixing the underlying problem(s). Tell us what the code number(s) is/are that you get, and we'll help figure out the problem. Most likely it's not related to the fluids or plugs...

jza80rz 03-31-2009 06:45 AM

how do i find out the codes? sorry for the noob questions, im new to the 2jz's

pwpanas 04-02-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jza80rz (Post 68424)
how do i find out the codes? sorry for the noob questions, im new to the 2jz's

Just count the flashes, as it describes in the tech article:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html