Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
upgradedsupra
Stock

upgradedsupra is on a distinguished road

It is not just about the horsepower but the driver.

Duane
Old 01-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgradedsupra
It is not just about the horsepower but the driver...
Agreed, but if you've got a 950rwhp Mkiv Supra Turbo with a TH400+trans-lock, nitrous (for spool-up), and slicks, the d@mn thing is pretty much point-and-shoot. Getting it into the 10s would be child's play, and 9s only a matter of practice after that. In truth, it'd actually be an 8 second car, but THAT would indeed be highly dependent on the driver.

In addition, I'd point out that although the driver's skill is a significant factor in drag racing (up to let's say 10%-25% of the time component), in roadracing the driver's skill is many times more important (probably closer to 50% of the time component).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
Sirpho3nix
Stock

Sirpho3nix is on a distinguished road
Default Why 2jz-gte?

After reading your post pwpana, and being a bit of an ametuer enthusiast, i was left wondering why you would fork out an extra 10k for a TT model when your putting in aftermarket parts to replace existing turbo, exhaust, etc.

Im sure there would be a short answer but as i myself am considering modding a supra id love to know as much information before i begin the project, thanks in advance
Sirpho3nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpho3nix
After reading your post pwpana, and being a bit of an ametuer enthusiast, i was left wondering why you would fork out an extra 10k for a TT model when your putting in aftermarket parts to replace existing turbo, exhaust, etc.

Im sure there would be a short answer but as i myself am considering modding a supra id love to know as much information before i begin the project, thanks in advance
Here's my short answer, for a start: It all depends what you want to do with the car, and how much effort you want to spend. If you want an all-around performer that can be regularly street-driven and can also run 9s ... and in addition you want to minimize the overall work you have to do to get the car into the 9s ... then you probably want to start with a TT. Of course, the oem TT already comes with the much more capable 2jz-gTe engine, which is very different than the non-turbo engine. This means the ecu and engine harness is very different as well. The oem driveline and diff is more capable in the TT too.

On the other hand, I agree that if you're planning to build a stripped down racecar that will be trailered to the dragstrip and it's equipped with fully 'built' and/or aftermarket parts, then you might as well start with a non-turbo, or even a salvage chassis and go from there...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Sirpho3nix
Stock

Sirpho3nix is on a distinguished road

Yeah i thought it might go something along those lines, thanks for the reply mate
Sirpho3nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #16
SoCal*BrAnded
Stock

SoCal*BrAnded is on a distinguished road

buy most parts from TRD. i just find it alot more reliable. most tC owners buy their superchargers from TRD as well as headers. get a cat-back exhaust, cold-air intake, just the basic needs to produce 50-100 hp gain =/
what else can i say w/o looking under the hood of your car.
SoCal*BrAnded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal*BrAnded
buy most parts from TRD. i just find it alot more reliable. most tC owners buy their superchargers from TRD as well as headers. get a cat-back exhaust, cold-air intake, just the basic needs to produce 50-100 hp gain =/ ...
Rofl. TRD doesn't make most of this stuff...mainly because the Mkiv Supra hasn't been manufactured for several years. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that TRD doesn't even make enough bolt-on parts to put a tC into the 9s...and that was SupraFTW's question: "What mods do i put in an MKIV to make it a 9 second car".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal*BrAnded
...what else can i say w/o looking under the hood of your car.
You probably shouldn't say anything else (on this topic) imho...SupraFTW was asking what modifications would need to be made to a STOCK '93-'98 Supra Turbo in order to get it to run 9s. The only thing you'd find under the hood of a bone-stock supra are the bone-stock components. What else would you expect?

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-16-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 AM   #18
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

TRD uses aftermarket parts and puts their logo on them. For example, TRD struts are manufactured by KYB.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
SoCal*BrAnded
Stock

SoCal*BrAnded is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Rofl. TRD doesn't make most of this stuff...mainly because the Mkiv Supra hasn't been manufactured for several years. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that TRD doesn't even make enough bolt-on parts to put a tC into the 9s...and that was SupraFTW's question: "What mods do i put in an MKIV to make it a 9 second car".
You probably shouldn't say anything else (on this topic) imho...SupraFTW was asking what modifications would need to be made to a STOCK '93-'98 Supra Turbo in order to get it to run 9s. The only thing you'd find under the hood of a bone-stock supra are the bone-stock components. What else would you expect?
go to trdsource.com
trd manufactures parts

http://www.trdsource.com/toyota.asp

type in the model (supra), year, and engine (turbo)
then look down and you see a table. hope i didn't lose you already 'cuz we're almost done. at the right side of the table, you see a list of manufacturers. read it for yourself.

trd actually makes much more but they rarely update their list. if you go to your local toyota dealership (supraftw) you can ask them there or you can just call them.

as a matter of fact. trd does produce superchargers use the same site and look up tC's. all you gotta do is read magazines. or have friends.

Last edited by SoCal*BrAnded; 06-05-2007 at 10:12 PM.
SoCal*BrAnded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #20
supradrift
3" Exhaust

supradrift is on a distinguished road

i dont know where you are getting these outrageous prices but for those kind of prices they better come with gold plating and a good blowjob
supradrift is offline   Reply With Quote