Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road
Default for people who were following my pcv issue

This is my car. Previous owners post on supraforums.com. Theres also a link in there to his personal car site. This kind of gives a more overall picture of the specs of the car. This is also the car going up for sale as soon as i can fix the pcv issue. Undecided price as of now.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=206978

http://home.comcast.net/~chrisco617/ChriscosupraHP.html
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Looks very nice and with 326whp that is no joke.

But maybe since he didn't break-in the new engine and just started doing burnouts, the rings never seated properly hence that is why you have excessive crankcase pressures.

Aren't you the one that blew the turbo a couple weeks ago? Overheated it on the highway?

Obviously that guy (the one you bought it from) didn't have a clue what he was doing since the engine only lasted, what, 30K miles? Blew the brand new turbo and overheated. Something wasn't torqued properly. I saw you said in a previous post that you had to replace the turbo gaskets. FYI= turbo gaskets just don't leak after 30k miles unless they were not installed correctly with the proper prep work done to the sealing surfaces. That speaks volumes as to what level his mechanical abilities are at. He should stick to oil changes.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks
Looks very nice and with 326whp that is no joke.

But maybe since he didn't break-in the new engine and just started doing burnouts, the rings never seated properly hence that is why you have excessive crankcase pressures.

Aren't you the one that blew the turbo a couple weeks ago? Overheated it on the highway?

Obviously that guy (the one you bought it from) didn't have a clue what he was doing since the engine only lasted, what, 30K miles? Blew the brand new turbo and overheated. Something wasn't torqued properly. I saw you said in a previous post that you had to replace the turbo gaskets. FYI= turbo gaskets just don't leak after 30k miles unless they were not installed correctly with the proper prep work done to the sealing surfaces. That speaks volumes as to what level his mechanical abilities are at. He should stick to oil changes.
yes indeedy sir.

I should note though, i didnt have to replace the turbo gaskets, my exhaust manifold was leaking oil. Remember u said my cps o-ring might be leaking? And causing oil to get around the manifold gasket. Thats why i tore off the turbo and replaced all the turbo gaskets and such. They weren't necessary to replace. I just did because i had to pull the manifold off anyway. The cps oil ring might have blown because of when i had to much oil in the engine. Who knows. It happened right around the same time. Only tests will show from here. Just a little backround on the car. I notice he said it has ceramic coated pistons. Im not sure how much better that is, im pretty sure they just take heat dissapation better, not much threshhold difference of power?

Last edited by Kuban; 04-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Kuban
3" Exhaust

*update*

since the engine is under warrent (barely) I called jasper. Asked them what i should do in the case my rings are worn. I mentioned the fact that my pcv was routing alot of oil possibly from excesive crankcase pressure. He told me that the 7m's have a common issue with some sort of baffle on the valve covers getting clogged that commonly causes excesive oil consumption along with alot of oil being pushed through the pcv.

Anyone ever heard of this? I would be fucking thrilled if it was some dumb shit like this. More over i wouldnt be at all surprised. And if it is indeed the issue, then this should be mentioned in a sticky as a common 7m issue. For now the most i can do is get my compression and leak down tested asap and get back to japser before they say to hell with me.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Yes, there are baffles inside the cam covers. But if they were clogged, there would be no oil getting inside the intake tract. If they were clogged, then that would explain where your excessive crankcase pressure is coming from. I doubt yours are clogged seeing as the engine has been rebuilt, but it wouldn't surprise me if the person you bought it from didn't clean them before slapping them back on. You can't take the baffles apart, you can only spray brake cleaner in them. You should have seen the crap that came out of mine. There is a sticky in the FAQ's section from mrnickleye and I posted about cleaning the cam cover baffles.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

This is great...., Finally I have found someone with a Jasper engine. I have thought about using them myself for my na. The nice thing about Jasper is that they don't just rebuild engines...., they remanufacture them. Sorry that there are problems. I'm surprised to hear of these issues, I really thought they were higher quallity than this thread makes them out to be.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Kuban
3" Exhaust

i doubt its jaspers fault in this scenario, if this is the scenario. If it is indeed the baffle thats clogged, its most likely due to sludging or basically someone ran too much old dirty oil in the engine. It sludged up and clogged this baffle, thus domino affecting my entire issue. So i woulnt hold anything against jasper as of now, not to mention, they are being nice enough to cover me under warrenty in another altercation. Even after im over the 3 years and mighty close to the 30k miles limit.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Yes, there are baffles inside the cam covers. But if they were clogged, there would be no oil getting inside the intake tract. If they were clogged, then that would explain where your excessive crankcase pressure is coming from. I doubt yours are clogged seeing as the engine has been rebuilt, but it wouldn't surprise me if the person you bought it from didn't clean them before slapping them back on. You can't take the baffles apart, you can only spray brake cleaner in them. You should have seen the crap that came out of mine. There is a sticky in the FAQ's section from mrnickleye and I posted about cleaning the cam cover baffles.
I dont know man, the guy said specifically, it cause massive oil consumption and pcv routing too much oil. Although think about it. If the baffles were clogged, the valve covers themselves wouldnt put any oil into the pcv. BUT, The pcv intake hose also pulls from the throttle body area aswell. If my turbo was blown and was spraying oil into the intake, it would in theory get sucked up through there. And recirc in a giant cycle adding more oil as it went along. This is all to much speculation though, ill post back when i get test results.

Last edited by Kuban; 04-10-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Yes I agree with you. But think about this, ok the PCV hard pipe connects before the turbo compressor housing via a rubber hose on the accordian pipe. It then snakes up on top of the valve covers, where it connects to them where the baffles are inside. Then it goes to the throttle body. If the baffles were clogged, there would be no possible way for oil to get in that pcv hard pipe, even if your turbo seals were shot and slinging oil everywhere. The oil would be going to the lower intercooler pipe, down to the intercooler, or into the O2 housing where it would burn. Just stating facts here. I'm not trying to explain your problem, just explaining how the PCV routs. There are so many reasons you are burning oil, could be the rings, could be the turbo seals, could be the PCV baffles are not clogged and throwing excessive oil into the intake tract. I wouldn't rule out valve guides or valve seals either.

Just rip those cam covers off, come on it takes 10 minutes and then you will know for sure if that was your problem. But, it takes 10's if not 100's of thousands of miles to sludge up the PCV baffles. There is no possible way they would clog in 30K miles, not even if you never changed the oil in those 30K miles. Only way they would be clogged is if the guy you bought it from didn't clean them. And even then, chances are slim that they are completely clogged shut.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 04-10-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Yes I agree with you. But think about this, ok the PCV hard pipe connects before the turbo compressor housing via a rubber hose on the accordian pipe. It then snakes up on top of the valve covers, where it connects to them where the baffles are inside. Then it goes to the throttle body. If the baffles were clogged, there would be no possible way for oil to get in that pcv hard pipe, even if your turbo seals were shot and slinging oil everywhere. The oil would be going to the lower intercooler pipe, down to the intercooler, or into the O2 housing where it would burn. Just stating facts here. I'm not trying to explain your problem, just explaining how the PCV routs. There are so many reasons you are burning oil, could be the rings, could be the turbo seals, could be the PCV baffles are not clogged and throwing excessive oil into the intake tract. I wouldn't rule out valve guides or valve seals either.

Just rip those cam covers off, come on it takes 10 minutes and then you will know for sure if that was your problem. But, it takes 10's if not 100's of thousands of miles to sludge up the PCV baffles. There is no possible way they would clog in 30K miles, not even if you never changed the oil in those 30K miles. Only way they would be clogged is if the guy you bought it from didn't clean them. And even then, chances are slim that they are completely clogged shut.
Not to contradict your judgement, but why would one of techs at jasper mention that those baffle clogging is a common issue on the 7m? Like he didnt say it "could" be the issue, he said its common to be the issue.

Last edited by Kuban; 04-11-2007 at 03:33 AM.