Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
AlpWhitE46
Stock

AlpWhitE46 is on a distinguished road
Default Blow off valve / idle issue

Hey everyone... This is my first post on the forum, just wanted to introduce myself...
I'm from Toronto , Canada..have 89 Turbo white targa...
just came across this forum... i'm on a few other forums but never knew about this one...

anyways here is the issue..
I used to have an old school blitz BOV... which didnt seem to work at all ...and then a bit of a newer one which again didn't seem to go off...

I finally got the HKS SSQV blow off valve in and finally there is no faulty sound when it goes off.. (compared to the past 2 blitz ones) so i resolved that problem...

however now when the HKS went in , even when the car warmed up...it was really hard to keep it from stalling..i would drive and down shift into second and it would be turning off...

now lets to try eliminate the fact that it might be faulty BOV...because im 95% sure that its not...
maybe whats left is to open it up and see ...

what happened i found out also was when i put my hand over the front of the blow off valve...my engine starts to work normally again... it seems the BOV is leaking / taking air in from front.

heres the set up...dont mind the vacuum hose plugged in (its so my engine can run fine now temporarily)

thanks guys appreciate any help
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

you do know that vac lines are important right? and that if they are not plugged in that its going to run like absolute crap? i would get everything hooked up. even though you think it runs just fine with them plugged and stuff, hook them up and see what happens. thats what i would have done first off.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
AlpWhitE46
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
you do know that vac lines are important right? and that if they are not plugged in that its going to run like absolute crap? i would get everything hooked up. even though you think it runs just fine with them plugged and stuff, hook them up and see what happens. thats what i would have done first off.
what?
did you miss a part of my post? i said i i've already had this set up hooked up (aka the vac line was going to the BOV) , the picture is just temporary so that my engine works correctly...

if i plug the vacuum line in my engine keeps stalling.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

While it's running, take the screw out of the vacuum hose and watch the inside of the hks bov, when you plug in the hose does the valve inside move?

If it does move and not return, the seals have let go hence it leaking.

Alot of the *insert brand name here* STYLE bovs do this also so it is recommended to get genuine.

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
AlpWhitE46
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl View Post
While it's running, take the screw out of the vacuum hose and watch the inside of the hks bov, when you plug in the hose does the valve inside move?

If it does move and not return, the seals have let go hence it leaking.

Alot of the *insert brand name here* STYLE bovs do this also so it is recommended to get genuine.
thanks supragirl...
but i think this one is genuine... and the guy seems legit he told me it works and was working fine on his friends car...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

I see that it's legit, I was explaining that copies are prone to doing this, that is all.

Do as I suggested.

What car was it on, betchya it was map sensored

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
AlpWhitE46
Stock

not sure, i will ask..
whats map sensoring do?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

It's an easy test you can do

Our cars are air flow metered, they have a little black box in the beginning of the intake. So it measures air at the intake, the ecu then sees that air and calculates the fuel for it. If any of that air is lost after the meter then the ecu will still put that same fuel in as it does not know it has lost it. Therefore engine runs silly rich and stalls.

In a map sensored car the sensor is measuring from the intake manifold, so if air is lost before then it doesn't matter as it measures at the intake manifold.

So, if the bov leaks on an air flow metered car it will stall or cause horrific rich problems. If a bov leaks on a map sensored car it will will calculate fuel and run fine.

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
AlpWhitE46
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl View Post
It's an easy test you can do

Our cars are air flow metered, they have a little black box in the beginning of the intake. So it measures air at the intake, the ecu then sees that air and calculates the fuel for it. If any of that air is lost after the meter then the ecu will still put that same fuel in as it does not know it has lost it. Therefore engine runs silly rich and stalls.

In a map sensored car the sensor is measuring from the intake manifold, so if air is lost before then it doesn't matter as it measures at the intake manifold.

So, if the bov leaks on an air flow metered car it will stall or cause horrific rich problems. If a bov leaks on a map sensored car it will will calculate fuel and run fine.
hmm i see thank you..
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
AlpWhitE46
Stock

heres a before picture when the engine was dropped in..

heres a little sneak peak of the car, with HID's

Last edited by AlpWhitE46; 10-10-2008 at 11:54 PM.