Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road
Default Valve stem seals?

Hi everyone. In relation to my pcv question. I mentioned earlier that my pcv is routing excesive amounts of oil into the intake system. I didnt know what was causing this issue, alot of people said rings. I am in denial about that since the engine was replaced about 30k miles ago. I know a simple leak down test will honor my answer but i run such a tight schedual im litterly typing this on my pda at work. NO TIME. At least till next weekend. So im looking for verbal guidence right now. I noticed one thing, when i replaced my exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gaskets i saw oil sitting in those little journals inbetween the exhaust ports on the head. Now do my exhaust valve guides poke throught there at all? Cause if my guides are shot then this would also cause alot of head pressure, enough to cause alot of oil in my pcv im assuming? And me burning oil? When the car runs for a while, if i pop my hood, the oil sitting in those journals will accually burn on the manifold and cause my engine to "look" like its smoking. I changed my oil last saturday, which is about less than a week, and im already seeing a difference in my oil pressure, meaning alot of the oil already burned through the engine. See now i dont know if the valve guides/stems seals where replaced when the engine was rebuilt. If not then that would make sense as to why there bad. Most likely 180k+ miles on the guides in that case. I know theres oil in my intercooler. And my engine running rough is most likely a cause to fouling out plugs and/or oil sitting in the intake manifold, and the head is prolly gummed up. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks, Tony.

edit*

I should also mention that when the oil was replaced 2 changes ago, my friend that put the oil in said he put a total of 6 maybe 7 quarts of oil in the car. GOOD GAME! Which explains why my oil driveshaft seal blew damn near off the car. Would that much oil mess up the rings? I know it would cause alot more blow by, but would it damage the rings? I know it would damage the valve guides. Thats why i think there the cause of issue. But im looking for YOUR insight. now mine.

Edit*

Last edited by Kuban; 03-24-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Kuban
3" Exhaust

ha, i just read up on a few different website that had info on too much engine oil in the engine. A few sites scared me, a few confimed my thoughts. Heres what i got so far.

What happens when an engine is overfilled with oil?

So you topped up the engine when it was warm after getting a faulty dipstick reading, or you put too much oil in when you changed it yourself. What's the worst that could happen? Well the problem with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.
Eventually, often much sooner than the ordinary man in the street might expect, the rear main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing. If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher' (or to be more colourful, it starts pissing oil all over the place). As well as smothering the clutch with oil from the rear, the oil now coming from the front leak will be neatly distributed about the engine bay as it hits the front pulley - often propelling it out as far as the brake discs. At the same time as this Hollywood disaster movie is unfolding outside the engine, things aren't working out any better on the inside. As you can see from the diagram, the correct oil level is really close to the rotating crank. Overfilling will mean the crank dips into the oil and churns it into a froth. Froth is good on certain types of coffee but not good in an engine. The mixture of aerated oil will be forced into the bearings and in case you didn't know, air is not a lubricant. Typically this means that bearing damage will follow quite rapidly, especially if you are driving on a motorway. You'll know bearing damage when you get it. The engine smells like a garage mechanic cooking over an open flame and the noise coming from the engine is the sort of thing you'd normally hear in vaudeville plays when a piano is pushed down a flight of stairs. As if that all wasn't bad enough, the excess oil gets thrown up into the piston bores where the piston rings have a hard time coping with the excess oil and pressure. It gets into the combustion chamber and some of it will get out into the exhaust system unburned resulting in a nice patina of oil all over the platinum surfaces of your catalytic converter. This renders it utterly useless for good.
Well, you did ask.

Well as long as my bearings arent shot, i think if i just do a leak down test and a head rebuild i should be ok. But if im looking at doing bearings, i mine as well tear down the whole engine and rebuild it completely. And i dont have the time or money for that. Is there anyway to tell if the bearings are shot? Besides taking off the crank and measuring clearance? It didnt mention anything in there about wearing down the rings, but it did say too much oil will result in miss lubrication, which could have messed up my rings. Although i dont think it had too much oil in the engine for more than a few days since i blew my oil pump seal which drained almost all the oil on the way home from work. So it wasnt under that condition for very long.

I should mention the engine runs almost normal besides burning oil and idling rough at start up, which could also be a cause of the IC and intake having oil in it. Also theres a slight miss at low RPM's but once i hit 2k rpm's it goes away. That could also just be a plug fouled out.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

"I noticed one thing, when i replaced my exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gaskets i saw oil sitting in those little journals inbetween the exhaust ports on the head. Now do my exhaust valve guides poke throught there at all?"

Nope. Those are just hollow areas cast into the head. I had the SAME exact thing happen to me when replacing my exhaust manifold gasket 2 years ago, those holes were filled with oil and I was like WTF? In my case, it was coming from my leaking Cam Position Sensor O-ring. My engine did the same thing, little smoke coming from the exhaust manifold while running and at full operating temp. I'm willing to bet money that your CPS O-ring is leaking. It's only a $2 part from the dealer and takes 10 minutes to change.

That much oil in your engine will not ruin your rings or your valve guides. What it WILL ruin is your rear main seal, front main seal, oil pump driveshaft seal and oil pan seal.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Kuban
3" Exhaust

wow thats a relief and a half. and i already replaced half those seals. As far as i know the car isnt leaking anymore oil at all so i should be good there.

Now i gotta say im still curious as to why im still burning oil, AND my pcv is being a little bitch. Put it this way, i have a catch can, and even though its not full, its still some how returning the milky colored oil. I was thinking its a possibility the oil in the pipes and the intercooler were getting drawn up into the intake by the pressure the turbo is creating, and burning through the engine. Also would a miss cause me to burn oil? Like i mentioned, im lossing ALOT of oil pretty quickly. Either through it burning on the exhaust manifold like you mentioned or burning through my exhaust. I mean thats alot of oil to lose that fast. And at 6 bucks a QT. It isnt cheap to keep this car running. I mine as well swipe my credit card across the dashboard everytime i start it LOL. Oil can be seen the most when i let off the gas abrubtly. Iv been staying away from high Rpms. but if im at 3k and i let off the gas while still in gear and coast down speed, thats when you can see it most from the back of the car. Like ALOT. higher r's it come out pretty good too but not like when i let off the gas. That right there would tell me rings, cause when you let off the gas, ur -30 psi or more in the combustions chamber and it sucks oil right past the rings if there bad, and burns it like im seeing.

Last edited by Kuban; 03-25-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Kuban
3" Exhaust

I should also mention that the car back fires when i let off the gas. And when i cold start. Which isnt cold since im in a 65 degree parking garage, she doesnt want to idle at first. I have to hold the throttle at about 5% for it to keep running. Other wise it will drop to about 400rpms and kinda sputter, sometimes the ecu will correct it and raise the R's for it sometimes it will just die. But after about 30 seconds of driving it idles fine. I believe this is because the pcv oil is sitting in my intake manifold and on my valves probably my head, pistons all that shit is prolly dirty.

My number one question to EVERYONE, if you have a keyboard and a mouse, i want ur guess, assumption, experience, hypothesis, ANYTHING to help me draw a conclusion.

What will cause a pcv to dump oil into my intake? The engine has 30k miles on it. Although i am burning oil out of the exhaust when i let off the gas. I also have a slight miss.

I find it extremely hard to believe its rings because the engine was just rebuilt.

OPINONS PLEASE.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Well update! i was on way home from work today and i live about 20 miles from home. I was on the freeway about half way home and i looked behind me! Well the street was filled with coolant. So i pulled over as soon as i hit the next exit. By that time the needle was pinned above H. I parked, opened the hood. One of the upper heater core lines blew. So i tried pooring coolant in, but it was soooo hot it boiled right back out of the car. Sooo i waited a while, fixed the line, then filled it with coolant. Drove it home, and about a mile from home i gave it a little to see if i blew the hg. You know spool a bit to see if the temp rises. But no everything was good. Temp normal, everything normal. Until the second time i did it and my turbo sounded like a supercharger......

Im assuming when the car overheated and i was driving for those 2 miles or so, the turbo overheated and burned up the bearings. So when ever it starts to spool, it makes a crazy grinding noise. And smokes likes a bitch!
My assumption was the turbo bearings shot.

Could this have been my problem all along? Could the turbos bearings have been bad all along? Causing me to periodically burn oil? And some how cause my pcv to recirc bunk ass oil.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Wow, sounds like you had a fun time.

Yes, if your turbo seals are shot, you will burn oil like your rings were bad. So I think it was your problem all along. (why didn't I think of that!)

That sound you hear is your turbo dying.

As far as overheating, if the heater core hose blew and THEN it overheated then that would explain it. If it overheated and THEN the heater core hose blew, well then you have other issues.

My car overheated one day, I changed the thermostat and beat the shit outta it on the highway then next day and it didn't overheat. The following day I was driving and then out of nowhere it just pegged to the H and my aftermarket gauge read 230F. Thats when I got fed up and started my head gasket repair.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 03-27-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #8
Kuban
3" Exhaust

yea the heater core hose blew initially, cause i saw the coolant behind me on the freeway (people getting out of my lane hahaha) and then the temp rose about 2 miles later.

I looked at it and one of the plastic male to male adaptors for the heater core i used melted on one side causing it piss all the coolant out into my engine bay! i got a new one of those, filled it up with coolant and she was ready to roll!

But when i drove about 10 miles, i heard the turbo doin that shit.

Yea im assuming this was the issue all along, although would that cause those pcv issues i was describing?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Yes, if the turbo seals are shot, oil will get into the turbine housing and burn and oil will get into the compressor housing and neatly distribute itself all over your intercooler piping and intercooler.

Now when you ran the motor without coolant I'm guessing the turbo took the brunt of it. Seeing how turbo's get so hot its not even funny, so without coolant cooling it, the bearings will be destroyed in short order.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 AM   #10
Kuban
3" Exhaust

hmm okay man. Maybe ill try just replacing the turbo and see how that goes. My friend has an extra i can try. If that doesnt do it ill replace the engine with a new built one. How much does a built mkiii with 550-650rwhp go for? Magenta color, mkiv rims, targa, body is immaculant. Apexi 7 way adjustables, eibach springs, new pads, new rotors, 285/40/17 tires in back, 245/45/17 tires in front, map-ecu tune. Ill list more later, but can i get like 9 maybe 10k for that? If its properly built?

Last edited by Kuban; 03-27-2007 at 06:29 AM.