Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
89supra323
Stock

89supra323 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Im real worried, PLEASE!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!

I have an 89 supra non turbo, which i dont know if you guys remember me but i posted a few threads about 3 months ago needing some info on BHG's which ended up being my problem, but anyways i decided to keep my car so i had my heads rebuilt and been using the car for about 1 or 2 months now, but lately i have been real worried !!!!! when i had my heads rebuilt i got most of my gaskets replace too. well first of all, about a week ago i was driving back home and i was getting to a crosswalk so i had to stop. after stopping i put it in 1st gear and gave it some gas but i felt the pedal do like a kick back or something and then noticed a cloud of smoke behind me. OMG!!! i was scared, and BHG was the first thing that came to my head so i threw it on neutral and rev'd it but no smoke showed. but before this happend i had recently done a tune up (Oil, Oil Filter, and Spark Plugs). so i kept driving it and no symptoms showed. but i noticed that at times, when im driving, my check engine light goes on but its only when im driving in the freeway so i disconnect the negative battery post and connect it back and it goes away. another thing that i noticed is that out of curiosity i checked my fuses in the kick panel and i noticed that i dont have the ECU-A and ECU-B (????i believe those are the names????) but then i wondered "how is my car running then", any info on what happends when you dont have these fuses? the other things that i have noticed are that my car would be really rev'd up all the time, about 1400-1500RPM's and i saw that one of the metal hardline pipes which i think has something to do with the vaccume system is sucking in air like crazy! and when i cover it my car idles lower. this line is part of the metal hardpipe lines that go bolted on below your intake manifold. there is no rubber hose loose or nuthing around there that would make me think it goes connected there. so i decided to cover that for now so my car would idle lower but i need to know where it goes to (its bolted on below the intake manifold, and its the one that is pointing towards the bottom) and i put another intake elbow cuz mine was torn already and when i started up it idles at about 900-1100RPM's but it feels like it idles up and down very little that you cant really notice it on your RPM gauge and makes like a popping noise once in a while. and since it wasnt idleing so high now i could actualy hear whats going on in the engine and i could hear some not so loud and not so low ticking or knockig. its something like tick, tick, tock constant but not at a fast paste. and today again after accelerating at the green light stupid smoke came out so i did the same and put it in neutral and rev'd it but nuthing came out. some people believe that my popping and smoking can be caused because the car is choking due to not enough air going thru. please help me out guys. thanxz!!! (oh yeah, i bearly bought my timing belt and my water pump do you guys think that this can be caused because one of these things is messed up? radiator is at level with no milky fluid and oil looks fine. and once when i took off my oil dipstick after turning off my car, some smoke came out of it.)
MORE INFO....O2 sensor connection is cut off, and i have been told that my first cat. conv. closest to headers doesnt work, plus my oil pressure gauge doesnt work but its wierd because at times it goes up when i turn on the car but just drops below the line a bit after.

Last edited by 89supra323; 05-08-2006 at 03:23 AM.
89supra323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
supradaddy0803
12psi boost

supradaddy0803 is on a distinguished road

Ok couple of things I am wondering is the pipe you are talking about on top of the valve covers or does it go down toward the exhaust manifold. Also is it a turbo or N/A because they dont really have alot of metal pipes on them besides the pcv pipe on top of the valve covers and it connects to the throttle body and the egr pipe heads down to the exhaust manifold and connects to a little screw in bung on the exhaust manifold. as for the other things is the ticking kinda quiet or really load could be a just your injectors ticking which is not much to worry about or if its load real problems. for the smoke if it is your pcv pipe that would explain it there is too much crankcase pressure and it is pushing oil into the combustion chamber from the bottom. but this would also cause a idle up problem too. if you can take a picture of what you got and it helps a little more when finding the problem and also I would recomend what I did buy a toyota shop manuel for your car it costs like 60 something and a great resource. it gives very good pictures of everything and troubleshooting.
supradaddy0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89supra323
I have an 89 supra non turbo, which i dont know if you guys remember me but i posted a few threads about 3 months ago needing some info on BHG's which ended up being my problem, but anyways i decided to keep my car so i had my heads rebuilt and been using the car for about 1 or 2 months now, but lately i have been real worried !!!!! when i had my heads rebuilt i got most of my gaskets replace too. well first of all, about a week ago i was driving back home and i was getting to a crosswalk so i had to stop. after stopping i put it in 1st gear and gave it some gas but i felt the pedal do like a kick back or something and then noticed a cloud of smoke behind me. OMG!!! i was scared, and BHG was the first thing that came to my head so i threw it on neutral and rev'd it but no smoke showed. but before this happend i had recently done a tune up (Oil, Oil Filter, and Spark Plugs). so i kept driving it and no symptoms showed. but i noticed that at times, when im driving, my check engine light goes on but its only when im driving in the freeway so i disconnect the negative battery post and connect it back and it goes away. another thing that i noticed is that out of curiosity i checked my fuses in the kick panel and i noticed that i dont have the ECU-A and ECU-B (????i believe those are the names????) but then i wondered "how is my car running then", any info on what happends when you dont have these fuses? the other things that i have noticed are that my car would be really rev'd up all the time, about 1400-1500RPM's and i saw that one of the metal hardline pipes which i think has something to do with the vaccume system is sucking in air like crazy! and when i cover it my car idles lower. this line is part of the metal hardpipe lines that go bolted on below your intake manifold. there is no rubber hose loose or nuthing around there that would make me think it goes connected there. so i decided to cover that for now so my car would idle lower but i need to know where it goes to (its bolted on below the intake manifold, and its the one that is pointing towards the bottom) and i put another intake elbow cuz mine was torn already and when i started up it idles at about 900-1100RPM's but it feels like it idles up and down very little that you cant really notice it on your RPM gauge and makes like a popping noise once in a while. and since it wasnt idleing so high now i could actualy hear whats going on in the engine and i could hear some not so loud and not so low ticking or knockig. its something like tick, tick, tock constant but not at a fast paste. and today again after accelerating at the green light stupid smoke came out so i did the same and put it in neutral and rev'd it but nuthing came out. some people believe that my popping and smoking can be caused because the car is choking due to not enough air going thru. please help me out guys. thanxz!!! (oh yeah, i bearly bought my timing belt and my water pump do you guys think that this can be caused because one of these things is messed up? radiator is at level with no milky fluid and oil looks fine. and once when i took off my oil dipstick after turning off my car, some smoke came out of it.)
MORE INFO....O2 sensor connection is cut off, and i have been told that my first cat. conv. closest to headers doesnt work, plus my oil pressure gauge doesnt work but its wierd because at times it goes up when i turn on the car but just drops below the line a bit after.

Paragraphs are your friend!

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
White87Turbo
Intake

White87Turbo is on a distinguished road

Next time you get an engine code dont clear it. Get home and check and see what it is. It will hopefully give you a starting point at the very least so you can begin to figure out waht is wrong with it.
White87Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

well the second 02 sensor further down the exhaust shouldn't matter if it is unplugged, it has no worries on mine

the hardpipe you are talking about on the intake manifold that points down should be going to the egr vsv... is your egr still on there or have you removed it?
it's a good thing you plugged it for now as leaks will create high idles

make sure that your pcv lines aren't blocked causing excessive crankcase pressure
there should be two lines coming off the valve covers, and one off the throttle body venting back into the intake

have you made sure you don't have an oil leak, ensure your oil level is full

the ticking may also be an exhaust leak, next time pop the bonnet and have a listen and see if you can determine which part of the engine it is coming from

and as said previous, don't clear your codes, read them and then get back to us with the codes so we can help you further

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
jfunez
12psi boost

jfunez is on a distinguished road

I agree with the pcv valve theory. also did you replace the intake hose with an aftermarket piece or factory..remember you should have the pcv gasses entering back in to the throtle body..
jfunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

The smoke thing, sounds like your PCV system got a gulp of oil somehow when you stopped....As long as it didnt do it more than once your car isnt burning oil. And if you said its disconnected (couldnt really unbderstand what you meant) That would be my reasoning... If it smoked and that is broken, That is a source for oil getting into your engine. Especially if your oil level is too high. I have another odd question. My egr system does not work. And i was thinking for inspection, Could i just use some plumbing I have and run some exhaust gas into my air filter and use a ball valve to control it and see if it lowers my nox or anything? Im getting a new cat and another new 02 sensor, so that stuff will be fine. But i want to pass this time. I just need to do this temporarily for an hour or so to get through inspection. Im trying to get a shop let me run my car on the exhaust thing, and playing with the AFM and this ball valve thing to see if it does anything. Im also gona seafoam the crap out of it, Cause i have some carbon build up in the intake.

Last edited by Isphius; 06-07-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Isphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #8
jfunez
12psi boost

jfunez is on a distinguished road

carefull with using too much of that intake cleaner, it can definetily destroy your cat if used execively for an extended period of time...
jfunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

my cat is shot anyway. Im gona do it before i change the cat.