Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

If u want reliable go jz. There's no question that the 7mgte has some reliabltiy problems which is why I went jz series. U might make it to the low 12s but its gonna take a lot more HP then the jz based on the 300 pound difference in the motors. And its gonna sacrifice an import not a muscle car..there are plenty of cars for u guys to ruin. But why ruin one that has a Toyota engine capable of 900hp with stock internals. Let's see a v8 top that.... now if u were putting in in LS motor then maybe is keep My mouth shut. But u guys are talkin about some of the oldest technology on the road and u dare to call it reliable?? And like I said before A SPORTS CAR IS NOT A POOR MAN'S RIDE.. A jz would run a v8 to the ground at any competition. Especially reliability . Do your research before u start claiming a 60 s design is more reliable then a 90s

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust

Vacationtime247 is on a distinguished road

The Supra was sitting in the woods on the Indiana / Kentucky border for 8 years before I got it. Had a 7MGE non turbo with a 5 speed. The previous owner had attempted to dissasemble the 7M in hopes of repairing it. Obviously he never did and sold it to me for $600. Amazingly, there was no rust on it at all and had 86k on the odo when it blew the head gasket. $600 for a cool sports coupe with independent rear suspension, back seats, 16 inch factory rims, 4 wheel disk brakes. Made for the perfect donor car. Can't think of to many other cars out there you can get all those features for that price. Swapping in a 2JZGTE sure would have been nice, but even that requires extensive modifications. Such as the computer, wiring, instal the new motor, tune it, plumb it, etc. Working on the 7M's or 2JZ's is not fun at all IMO.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
If u want reliable go jz. There's no question that the 7mgte has some reliabltiy problems which is why I went jz series. U might make it to the low 12s but its gonna take a lot more HP then the jz based on the 300 pound difference in the motors. And its gonna sacrifice an import not a muscle car..there are plenty of cars for u guys to ruin. But why ruin one that has a Toyota engine capable of 900hp with stock internals. Let's see a v8 top that.... now if u were putting in in LS motor then maybe is keep My mouth shut. But u guys are talkin about some of the oldest technology on the road and u dare to call it reliable?? And like I said before A SPORTS CAR IS NOT A POOR MAN'S RIDE.. A jz would run a v8 to the ground at any competition. Especially reliability . Do your research before u start claiming a 60 s design is more reliable then a 90s
Vacationtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 愚か

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
Ick putting a GM engine into a Toyota just sounds WRONG. I am not a big fan of anything made by the Heartbreak of America, today's Government Motors. The head gasket blew probably because it was torqued incorrectly. You will save yourself a world of headaches by putting in a replacement engine or rebuilding the old engine. Nothing on the drive train will work right and there will be weight and balance troubles. So you are looking at a new transmission and probably rear end. The electrical system will not work right, the suspension is wrong. I would not trust a car with a very different engine. The builders went through a lot of effort when they designed theses cars. There will be those things the backyard designer will forget.
Yea you could put a small block Chevy engine into her but the car will not be the same. If you want a GM pony car go out and get an old Camero or Firebird. You can have that "great GM feeling" and it will not bankrupt you.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust

It's actually balanced really well. Sure feels tight and not sloppy when I'm driving it. There are no vibrational issues and the 350 Chevy actually weighs LESS than a 7M. The tranny is a 700R4 GM overdrive. I'm using the same suspension set up that came with it originally. Only thing I did change was the 4.33 rear open differential to a more user friendly 3.73 LSD. As far as the electrical. Your right, most of the dash I didn't bother to splice into. But the dash and running lights work. Also have my own set of gauges to monitor the engines vitals (temp, oil, volts). It's really an easy swap to do, I'd like to see more.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Ick putting a GM engine into a Toyota just sounds WRONG. I am not a big fan of anything made by the Heartbreak of America, today's Government Motors. The head gasket blew probably because it was torqued incorrectly. You will save yourself a world of headaches by putting in a replacement engine or rebuilding the old engine. Nothing on the drive train will work right and there will be weight and balance troubles. So you are looking at a new transmission and probably rear end. The electrical system will not work right, the suspension is wrong. I would not trust a car with a very different engine. The builders went through a lot of effort when they designed theses cars. There will be those things the backyard designer will forget.
Yea you could put a small block Chevy engine into her but the car will not be the same. If you want a GM pony car go out and get an old Camero or Firebird. You can have that "great GM feeling" and it will not bankrupt you.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 View Post
It's actually balanced really well. Sure feels tight and not sloppy when I'm driving it. There are no vibrational issues and the 350 Chevy actually weighs LESS than a 7M. The tranny is a 700R4 GM overdrive. I'm using the same suspension set up that came with it originally. Only thing I did change was the 4.33 rear open differential to a more user friendly 3.73 LSD. As far as the electrical. Your right, most of the dash I didn't bother to splice into. But the dash and running lights work. Also have my own set of gauges to monitor the engines vitals (temp, oil, volts). It's really an easy swap to do, I'd like to see more.
VT247
Suppose if it would work at all it would be a small block Chevy V-8. The 350 has to be the most made engine in the world. Before my disappointing 85 Camero and 89 Firebird, I had a 71 Camero with a 350 engine. It was always a joy and ease to work on unlike the newer cars.
What about the other systems? do you have heat and ac? In Oklahoma ac is a requirement unless one is a lizard.
Good Luck with your project and please be careful.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 View Post
VT247
Although I completely disagree with what u did to your car 150% I checked out your video and it looks damn good for basically rapeing the supra. U should wire up the gauges to your dash it would be very simple and make it more complete rather then a hurried look u could use the sensors from the 7m with some adapters. I could get u the plug and probably wire color to do so. but you have to admit a 1jz or a 2jz would run it down with simple bolt ons.. although the swap itself is spendy more so with 2jz cuz it never came in the mkiii the JZ takes very little money to make them CRAZY FAST.

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 AM   #17
Vacationtime247
3" Exhaust

No A/C. Made to be a racer. Does have heat though. The items that do work are: The gas gauge, the volt gauge, door lights, dash lights, brakes, headlights. Maybe one day I'll wire in the other dash sensors.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Suppose if it would work at all it would be a small block Chevy V-8. The 350 has to be the most made engine in the world. Before my disappointing 85 Camero and 89 Firebird, I had a 71 Camero with a 350 engine. It was always a joy and ease to work on unlike the newer cars.
What about the other systems? do you have heat and ac? In Oklahoma ac is a requirement unless one is a lizard.
Good Luck with your project and please be careful.