Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Its an ok video. Could have been better. But here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWzP...ature=youtu.be
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
S-mk3-B
3" Exhaust

S-mk3-B is on a distinguished road

Thanks 907mge for the video, really helpful! So i pulled the dash earlier today and switched the bulbs with just some Eiko bulbs. And they worked just a tad bit better than what i had before, but im still not getting an efficient amount of light to the numbers. So im wondering is my problem probably just a matter of getting stronger/brighter bulbs(maybe some LEDs)? And I don`t know if im just trippin, but it seems like my MPH gauge is a little laggy? Is there suppose to be a certain cord for the speedometer or is it just all the cords that you have to remove and reinsert? Thank you to everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	4742  
BIC Divorced Downpipe, Straight Pipe
Megan Track Coilovers
Apexi BOV, Turbo Timer, and Intake
Lexus Projector Fogs
Bride Low Max Replica

Last edited by S-mk3-B; 11-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.
S-mk3-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question replacement of dash bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-mk3-B View Post
Thanks 907mge for the video, really helpful! So i pulled the dash earlier today and switched the bulbs with just some Eiko bulbs. And they worked just a tad bit better than what i had before, but im still not getting an efficient amount of light to the numbers. So im wondering is my problem probably just a matter of getting stronger/brighter bulbs(maybe some LEDs)? And I don`t know if im just trippin, but it seems like my MPH gauge is a little laggy? Is there suppose to be a certain cord for the speedometer or is it just all the cords that you have to remove and reinsert? Thank you to everyone!
Hi! Still belive you have a resistance problem , dim bulbs are due to a drop in available voltage ( that's what dimmers do ) OR - you have a problem with a poor earth (ground ) return . Can I suggest you invest in a voltmeter and carry out a thorough voltage check throughout the curcuit - and bench test the dimmer , start at the battery ,, check across the posts -12 volts minimum , THEN check across the ( -/+ ) posts to ( + /- ) battery connectors - this will give you a reading of the most voltage available in the loom and work through the list , battery connector -body , battery connector -engine , loom points-earth -etc . I had a problem with the earth post of a battery / connector once -cleaned with nylon pad and refitted - ok now.Also it could be a good idea to carry out a continuity check of the earth ( ground ) cables to body .Imagine trying to get a starter motor to turn if the earth ( ground ) cable is extremely corroded . high voltage drop - similar to a nearly flat battery .

Last edited by interested!; 11-09-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: extra info .
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question replacement of dash lamps

Hi! Also , check that the alternator is charging the battery , this should be around 13.5 volts with the engine running and this voltage brightens the driving lamps , check by turning the headlamps on against a wall ,then start the engine ,the lamps should dim slightly while the starter is being operated ( volt drop ) then brighten ( extra voltage ) . this means there is 13.5 volts in the system . Always start with ancillaries turned off , this gives maximum voltage to the starter/ ignition system for easier starting with an old battery .If the lights go out during this process then the battery may need bench charging or replacing .

Last edited by interested!; 11-09-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: easy test info.
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people find their lighting to be worse when using LEDs... bad hot spots and fast fall off. An aging dimmer circuit can often cause dim dash lights as well as aging bulbs.... old bulbs do not burn as bright as they did when new(er). To bypass the dimmer, unplug it and insert a wire jumper across the two striped white wires running into the dimmer's harness. White with black stripe to white with green stripe.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Stephenkelly
Stock

Stephenkelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-mk3-B View Post
Sooo most of the bulbs in my dash are out or have barely any life in them, the only ones that are still working good are the bulbs that light up the total miles, the trip, and each needle. But besides that you can`t see anything. So yeah it kind of sucks driving at night, haha. So what i wanted to know is how to remove the dash and what peimar led lights bulbs will I need to buy. I know that there is a tutorial on the TSRM, but is there an easier way to approach it or steps one can skip? So any tips and advice from anyone that has undergone this procedure or to anyone the could give insight on this will be very helpful. Thanks!
Why not try some led lights. It will be great

Last edited by Stephenkelly; 11-12-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Stephenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote