Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road
Default code 34 fixes

so from looking at the FAQ's and some other threads i have concluded that code 34 is abnprmal turbo pressure. Im gussing the fixes to this is to check all the hoses in the charging system and intercooler to make shure they arent leaking boost. this has never happend untill just recently when i put in a new clutch so im gussing i might have losen a coupling or pulled a hose and havent noticed

so far besides the code the car is geting worse milage, loss of power, and when i go into full boost on and off( like at autocross) it feels like its being shut off by the computer and seconds later it keeps going like nothing has happend.( does this in a sputering motion but only under heavy boost and aggressive driveing)

my questing is does what i know sound about right if not can you guys correct me
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. A boost leak is the most common cause of this code.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

today i have taken all of the hoses in the charging system and have found all to be in operable shape and in over all good condison, what else could be causeing this problem? when driving if i stay in -4 boost area i have no issues as soon as i give a little more gas and hit 0 it feels like it drops in power and torque. the most at full throttle i can get is 5psi and it feels nothing like full boost use to a few months ago could this be an electrical problem since all the hoses are ok?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Test the BOV to be sure it's not leaking boost. Inspect the wastegate actuator (make sure it's not sticking and keeping the wastegate open. Inspect the turbo.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
pandrade
12psi boost

the bov is good( i tested it by trying to blow air through it and it wouldent allow air throught) now to test the actuator should i just pull the little arm and see if it has a full range of movement? oh and lately around when this problem has started i would get a big puff of blue smoke on start up, it always did this but since this code and problems started rearing its ugly head its been getting more common( at this point is at every start up)

Last edited by pandrade; 09-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Blue smoke when starting cold would most likely be valve stem seals leaking... but it wouldn't hurt to be sure something bigger isn't wrong (rings, hole in a piston, leaking HG).

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
pandrade
12psi boost

im kind of inclined that the turbo seals are starting to go out becuase 1. it has 130k origonal miles 2. when looking at the intercooler pipes and intake mainfold theres quite a bit of soot and blow back( oil resedue).

the head gasket i belive is good becuase i have done a few radiator flushes and have NEVER had any oil in there, rings might be a bit worn since the mileage and i hope to god there isent a hole in a piston lol if there is i dont know how it starts up imidiatly and runs.

what stumps me is when i keep out of boost the car runs great but the moment i hit boost it feels like the computer hits the kill switch for a few seconds and then comes back on, is this something that comonly happens whith the 7m gte when it has some miles on it?

i will try to make a video so every one can better see what exactly is going on hopefully the video can explane better than i

Last edited by pandrade; 09-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I still think it's a boost leak. Build a boost leak tester and really test it.

You'd be surprised how well a 7M will run with a hole the size of a quarter in the crown of a piston.... I sure was. They're tough.... Granted it idled like shit and made a smoke screen about five miles long.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
pandrade
12psi boost

ok ill make a tester. by the way is there a guild to make one on the FAQ or is it something you can get at advanced auto parts( which i highly doubt)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I don't think it's in the FAQ section. Just Google "DIY boost leak tester", you'll get plenty of hits with all the details. Almost everything you'll need is available from a good hardware store.

Tip Jar --->