Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

1989toyotasupraandpickup is on a distinguished road
Default Maft pro running problems

Hello everone. i recently installed the maft translator pro and got the car running. the manual states to connect the white wire to the igt and it would not run kept getting a code for igf. i connected the white wire in the IG- on the check connector and the car started right up. the car will idle at 14.9 on the afr gauge right where i want it and the car does run good. the only problem i am having is when i hit the gas real quick it does not respond good. sometimes it will even stall out. it has a hesitation when the throttle is pressed quick. Another question is do you have to unplug the stock oxygen sensor from the connector. this will put the car in open loop to allow tuning with the maft pro. I heard someone tell me something about tip in on the maft pro. Any help would be appreciated.
1989toyotasupraandpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

i forgot to mention that i am running full speed density
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

What wiring diagrams and setup instructions are you using? Post a link if you have one. If you're following the "Quick Setup Guide" which came with the unit it may be significantly out of date.

TPS and MAP enrichment are two setting you may want to take a look at. Feel free to experiment with them and follow your data logs to see if you're spiking rich or lean. Throttle body size also plays a factor in the tip-in calculations. If you're running a stock TB then you'll want 6 or 7. Has the stock O2 sensor been removed or are you letting the ECU and the MAFT Pro battle it out?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

i downloaded the quick setup guide for the maft pro 4.40. I also downloaded the recent manual 5x or something like that. the car does run good but when i press the accelerator quick and let go the car will stall out. new at this kind of thing so im sorry if i ask stupid questions. Tried adjusting the tps enrichment and the map enrichment with not change. same thing. the oxygen sensor is still in place just unplugged. its a new oxygen sensor. but dont i have to force it into open loop for the maft pro to take over the fueling. i have the analog out on the wideband hooked up to the maft pro. the stock tb is at 6 or 7 i cant remember which one. i think it goes rich when i blip the gas
Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have TunerPro installed on any of my computers right now, but you may post a datalog and your bin file and I'll install TunerPro to look them over when I can make the time (probably next weekend)... Might be able to just make the adjustments for you depending on how obvious the issue is.

You can set the MAFT Pro us any number of different ways. My preference these days is to let the ECU control closed loop operations and use the MAFT Pro to control open loop. You can use the MAFT Pro's ETPS function to force the ECU into open loop at any point if the factory triggers for open loop aren't giving you enough flexibility.

When tuning make sure ALL of the AFR/WOT tracking functions are disabled.

Here's a link to my site and some of the stuff I've published about setting up the MAFT Pro along with a "guide" about what each setting is and how it operates (there's one for 4.8 and a newer one for 5.x). CLICK ME

Have you got previous tuning experience? If not, you've chosen a poor system to start with. It's amazingly flexible but the learning curve and lack of shops which support it generally result in a lot of people calling it quits. You may want to try to find someone in your area who would be willing to help you with it in person.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

Hey Cre sorry for not getting back to you. i have been out of town for a few days so i did not mess with the car. i am new to the maft pro and i know it is a challenge and i would like to know more about it. I got the car running now its just tuning and getting it to run right. the AFR is at 14.7 when idle cant get it there while cruising its like 16 or 17. but anyways i reconnected the stock oxygen sensor still have the problem of hitting the accelerator real quick and the car will want to stall out. my afr goes to 10 when this happens. its really odd because if im at a red light or stop sign and i hit the accelerator quick it wont pickup right away. i have to fether it because im afraid its going to stall. Have to figure out tuner pro and how to get the data log to you. I tried messing with the tps and map erichments to no avail.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Yeah, I'm really going to need your bin and a thorough log from TunerPro to offer any significant help... Otherwise I'm going to end up doing a full online course on the system and I haven't the time for that. Did you read though all of the stuff I've got on my site regarding the MAFT Pro's settings and the defaults for the MKIII and wiring? I haven't updated in some time but it's pretty comprehensive.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

Sorry cre really cant get a bin or datalog right now. the computer that hooks to the maft pro quick working at the moment. i have been messing with a few things and got it to idle at 14.7 afr and it stays there. It drives awesome just the only problem im having still is there. i blipp the throttle real quick and the rpm goes down to like 400 rpm then back to 700 rpm and it acts like it wants to stall. i can even make it stall sometimes by blipping it real fast. its really driving me nuts. i know im no help without the bin file and the datalog.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Conga1991 is on a distinguished road

were their any problems that you had before installing the maft pro? any cel's before installation?
Conga1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
1989toyotasupraandpickup
Stock

I did not have this problem before I installed the maft pro. There were also no trouble codes before. Now I have code 24 the air temp sensor. Um when the problem happens sometimes I get code 34 boost pressure abnormal. I only get it sometimes tho when I blip the throttle. There are no boost leaks as I could see or hear. No vac leaks either