Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #71
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

They sell socket sets that are made to grip stripped bolts/nuts. I think they are called easy outs.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #72
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

An easyout is generally used for removing a broken off bolt. But the sockets he talks of are an option. I've used vice grips before if there is enough room for them. But soaking a bolt is a very good idea, although it may take a few days to really do the job. Also when you are removing a stuborn bolt or nut remember that a 6 point wrench or socket is farless likely to strip then a 12 point.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #73
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

yea i stripped the bolt that holds on my crank pully for my 1.6L with a 12 point.

USE 6 point
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #74
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, use a 6 point whenever you're working with a 6 point head.

You really want to try to avoid using easy outs unless they're the last option. In a case like this, if I can get at it, I go in with an angle grinder or a dremel and grind two sides to give me a good solid surface to get a wrench on with a VERY firm fit. Yes, a lot of penetrating oil too... spray, wait 20 minutes, respray, wait 20, respray. If no good there then hit it with a torch right before you try the wrench.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #75
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road

theres is no room to use vise grips at all,
i sprayed it with a bunch of penetrating oil,
and im actually gonna go out and try to get them off,
as for the stripped one,
what do you think would be the easiest to get it off?
i dont have a torch,
vise grips are out of the option,
and well i like the idea of the easy out,,,

if the 6 point doesnt work, i was just gonna hammer on a smaller socket(13mm since the original is a 14mm)
around the nut and try to get it off from there

i really want turbo
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #76
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Usually an ISO socket is easier to get on.

For torch work just a burns-o-matic Oxygen/Mapp gas torch works fine and they're cheap... more than hot enough to get the bolt/nut cherry red.

They're pretty expensive on Amazon... I bought one quite a while ago and it was very cheap. Might look locally if you decide to get one.

Can you even get a drill in there to use an easy out? You need to drill it dead center and, more importantly, straight to use an easy out.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #77
ochowdero
12psi boost

there is lil to no room,
right at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, right where the downpipe starts,
theres three bolts hold the downpipe to the manifold.
thats where there at.

i really want turbo
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #78
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

So the three that hold the elbow and downpipe together? The one between the exhaust and the engine? You're screwed... okay, not really, but it sucks. I've dealt with that one on MKIIIs before and it's no joy. If you can get the elbow disconnected from the turbo, then disconnect all the exhaust hangers you can drop the whole exhaust to give you room to work on it more intimately.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #79
ochowdero
12psi boost

i dont hane turbo,

ill post a pic in about five mins of what im dealing with

i really want turbo
Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #80
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Then you're talking about the collector union. Disconnecting the manifold at the head will still give you extra room (if needed). I remember there was something annoying with the hanger right by that spot too, but I can't recall specifically what.

Tip Jar --->