Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road
Default What would you pay??? (MKIII)

I am looking at purchasing a second Supra. Take a peek at this one if you got a second. I am wondering what to offer for it. (Beige cloth interior, only flaw is 2 screw holes from some idiot who wanted to mount his cell phone on the dash pad!)

From what I can tell its been babied and the body is tight and rust free. 4 year old paint (not too keen on color, but can live with it.. )

Its listed here (remember.. this is Canadian)
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ204903911

I would really appreciate thoughts as well as a suggested offering price I should make on this. (considering that to rebuild a car to this stage would cost a bit more as i rarely seem to have time to d.i.y.)

Thanks in advance on the input!!
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No electronic upgrades? Still running the stock type of air flow meter? Just how big are the injectors? How big is the turbo? These could be run of the mill, basic upgrades. Without a lot more information I wouldn't offer over $5500 USD.... but I'm cheap and not looking for one.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

It's ok see better ones for less money ones with 1jz and 2jz
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

My problem is finding a MKIII in good shape. I am willing to go cross border (I am Canadian.. US is fine.. just a lot of work.. hehe) but every car I look at is not as good as the one I currently own. The bodies on these puppies did'nt stant up too well, plus, there are little things that I have found over the couple years of ownership (like brackets that are rusting to the point of disintegration underneath, and the rock collection against the back of the gas tank - pass. side)

Its disheartening.. lol. So.. when you find one with a clean straight body, the extra coin is worth it. I am into my car for about 10k and I am just starting. The biggest problem is the lack of time to do the work myself. Now the coin really climbs. I would be willing to go full coin on a car like the one I posted providing I could do a full leak down test and really do a thorough check up on it first. Its worth it. I am going to guess (because I haven't seen it yet.. will be viewing on Saturday) that its a 57 trim CT26 with a metal head gasket, ARP headbolts, etc.. Professionally rebuilt does not mean done right though, so there is a bit of trepidation.

I guess I will just wait until I see it. I am putting my car at about 12,000 to get it to a very clean perfect paint job (no rust, replaced brackets everywhere and hoses.. etc.. and getting the engine done to tiptop condition at about 300-350 hp at the wheels. Took it to RTCS in Calgary (some of you are probably familiar with Horsepowerfreaks) and had them peek. Its probably going to take 1200.00 just to start on it.

The $$ dont scare me, mind you.. I dont want to be stupid and waaay overpay for a car, but to me the MKIII is worth more than a new Honda Accord...(which I have owned and was very disappointed)

ah.. the price of love...

The only reason I ask about what you guys think is I dont want to be stupid just because I like the car.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Grandavi
walbro fp

Okay, saw the car. Interior is "almost" immaculate. The only real flaw is the few screwholes on the dashpad (you cant see them from the driver seat), a cracked (but not torn yet) arm rest pad on the center console and some of the screw covers broken off on the side trim on the hatch (running up the side window). All livable of course given the age of the vehicle.. even reparable over time with spare parts at minimal cost.. So I will call the interior excellent condition.

The glass is all perfect. The windshield however has been replaced and instead of the stock trim that is used, this one has a rubber gasket. (no metal.. all rubber) The rear hatch metal has broken plastic (the seal I guess) between the metal and the glass (as is common from most of the Supra's I have seen). I dont know if this leads to leakage or any issues, but the car has been covered and/or garaged for the past 4 years and I see no water issues.

I could see no signs of rust throughout the car except for the brackets that hold the bumper. They are in better shape than mine were and arent hard to replace, albeit.. they are expensive. These are still good enough to last years though.

The paint is not A1. Its acceptible, but typical of a repaint where you have paint "lips" where things were masked and there is a paint run by the fuel filler and a "w"ish kind of line going across the 3/4 way of the door (almost looks like body fill being lifted slightly). The rear quarter on the driver side is filled with expansion foam (never heard of that before) but I couldnt feel any rust. The driver side had the old fine dust inside it, but no moisture and the metal felt perfect. Pretty good body package put on it and it was installed fairly decent.

Now.. for the drivetrain.. he was told it was a 60.1 CT26 upgrade that is on it with a greddy manual BOV (the one with the screw that turns one way for harder, one way for lighter), 2.5" exhaust with cat removed and custom muffler (it purrs, but is louder than stock). It has a performance headgasket but I do not believe its metal on it, and is "calculated", not dyno'd, to be 400 HP. The tranny is also rebuilt and it comes with the original motor (is on a stand right now), turbo and tranny as well as a lot of other parts (glass, moldings, etc..). I didn't think they took the CT26 above a 57 trim, but.. thats what he was told.

The wheels are excellent. The car drives like new, has an oil cooler installed and upgraded Intercooler. The only thing that kinda made me worry (other than the foam in the quarter panel) is the cross bar that the rad is attached to (stock rad, looks like perfect shape) has a kink in it, which I would expect after a front end accident (driver side). Of course.. that may just be a remnant of the engine removal/installation... I havent carfaxed it.

I dont think I could feel comfortable paying the asking price, but looking it all over, I am thinking it may be a 6k car (CDN remember..)

Now.. that more info.. lol. Any thoughts on a good offering price?

If I dont buy this, I will be getting a "perfect" repaint (thats where they actually finish the paint UNDER the rubber trim) for a cost of about 5000 (includes all body perfecting, so that everything is smooth and proper) and the engine will cost me (I am guessing) about 6500 to complete (keeping in mind I do not plan on doing all the work myself.. RTCS will probably do the large portion of everything to do with drive train.. they are the only ones I really trust here.

there.. sorry for the long read.. but I figger more info is better than less.

Edited to add: Another thing I noticed.. the tranny whines when the clutch is out and its in neutral. I am guessing thats the release bearing, and I believe that this is a stock clutch/pressure plate. I didnt think that the stock one was appropriate for an upgrade engine. Also, the Lexus AFM and 550 cfm injectors have been added but not the fuel pump upgrade, but he has noticed no issues with the stock fuel pump. I believe it is running at 8 lbs boost.

Last edited by Grandavi; 06-07-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Grandavi
walbro fp

Anyone have any comments on my question (plus the later info?)

Good car.. tight.. but 87. 9800? Thinking maybe (a big maybe.. and thats after I had a mechanic do a thorough going over of the car) 6k (canada).

Arghhh.. Im half way to finishing and looking at replacing.. driving me nuts.. lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
2.5RHDsupra
Intake

2.5RHDsupra is on a distinguished road

hey did you find a supra because i live in airdrie, right next to calgary haha.
and i need to sell my auto supra TT
2.5RHDsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
windo67
Stock

windo67 is on a distinguished road
Default buying a Supra

If its not a problem bringing it in to Canada I would look for a car in the southern tier of States where it would be rust free. I have purchased a 89 Supra and a 97 Lexus SC400 this way and neither r one had any rust.
windo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Grandavi
walbro fp

no, its not a problem going cross-border providing you follow the correct procedure. I originally thought I could just drive down and buy one. Not so.. lol. Plus, there is a fee for bringing it back across I was not aware of. It gets complex for the "first-timer". Still strongly considering doing that though.

For now, I have the 1990 MKIII sitting in the front (going to get a cover for it over the winter) and the 88 in the garage about to get pulled apart in preparation for the body/paint.

I would consider the other supra mentioned just above this except it is probably RHD and I prefer manual to auto (although the MKIII manual shift isnt what i would like from 1st to second..)
Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
2.5RHDsupra
Intake

2.5RHDsupra is on a distinguished road

Yes it is RHD i just want to sell it to a guy who knows what the supras are all about.
2.5RHDsupra is offline   Reply With Quote