View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

My problem is finding a MKIII in good shape. I am willing to go cross border (I am Canadian.. US is fine.. just a lot of work.. hehe) but every car I look at is not as good as the one I currently own. The bodies on these puppies did'nt stant up too well, plus, there are little things that I have found over the couple years of ownership (like brackets that are rusting to the point of disintegration underneath, and the rock collection against the back of the gas tank - pass. side)

Its disheartening.. lol. So.. when you find one with a clean straight body, the extra coin is worth it. I am into my car for about 10k and I am just starting. The biggest problem is the lack of time to do the work myself. Now the coin really climbs. I would be willing to go full coin on a car like the one I posted providing I could do a full leak down test and really do a thorough check up on it first. Its worth it. I am going to guess (because I haven't seen it yet.. will be viewing on Saturday) that its a 57 trim CT26 with a metal head gasket, ARP headbolts, etc.. Professionally rebuilt does not mean done right though, so there is a bit of trepidation.

I guess I will just wait until I see it. I am putting my car at about 12,000 to get it to a very clean perfect paint job (no rust, replaced brackets everywhere and hoses.. etc.. and getting the engine done to tiptop condition at about 300-350 hp at the wheels. Took it to RTCS in Calgary (some of you are probably familiar with Horsepowerfreaks) and had them peek. Its probably going to take 1200.00 just to start on it.

The $$ dont scare me, mind you.. I dont want to be stupid and waaay overpay for a car, but to me the MKIII is worth more than a new Honda Accord...(which I have owned and was very disappointed)

ah.. the price of love...

The only reason I ask about what you guys think is I dont want to be stupid just because I like the car.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote